PDA

View Full Version : Are Garden Hoses Safe To Use?

SNap0283
08-03-2003, 12:33 AM
OK so i have created a way to fill up my tanks by getting an adapter that fits onto the sink faucet and then connected to a garden hose. Hey it was cheeper than a python... When i went to K-Mart and a lot of the hoses said they had microbial protection or something, it was an antifungal and antibacterial treatment to protect the hose, obviously it seemed unsafe to use for a fish tank. The cheep hose didnt have it however but it made me wonder if a garden hose in general is safe to use, obviously as long as it doesnt have the microbial protection? Could it leach plastic into the water, or anything else harmful for that matter?
Thanks

Jef

barron
08-03-2003, 12:44 AM
Hi

I use one. I use plastic male, female ends. I do not like the metal staying in the water. I use the hose to fill holding tanks as well as on my sump pump in the holding tank.

Barron :)

Smokey
08-03-2003, 01:03 AM
Yes .. your arew 100% correct, The wrong material [ hose] will contaminte the fish water. ..

Do not compromise ..

Skymtn

April
08-03-2003, 01:23 AM
if you get the rv white hoses made for water for drinking water your fine.
i have a rubber hose...and ive been ok with that.
but the rv hoses arent that costly at all. they have medical grade plastic inside them.

Bill_P.
08-03-2003, 05:58 AM
As a general rule of thumb I always stay with clear hose. If its clear chances are nothing is gonna leach. (this is not 100% garuntee though)

On all my hoses I shot over to the Local lowes and purchased the Clear hose purchased some plastic fittings and made a clear hose with the same fittings as a garden hose. Works like a charm........ and hooks up to a python to if you ever get one in the future.

Bill

discuskrib
08-03-2003, 03:37 PM
i've used garden hoses in the past. never had any problems with them. clear hoses are what i prefer

Smokey
08-04-2003, 03:03 PM
Jef= a water change hose is as personal as it can get.

Life depends on it.

Purchase a 100% rubber - 1/2" i.d. water hose. Mine is now 10 years old. Never touch the outdoors.

Most stores carry this item.

Too all - a water hose is the second most item to purchase.

do not compromise!!!!

O
08-04-2003, 04:14 PM
I buy mine here www.usplastic.com. these guys are excellent. great customer service.

O.

Smokey
08-04-2003, 04:45 PM
O -- is this a great internet / site ot what ?

Next to a dog a water hsoe is the next important.

sorry wives - IMPO YOU ARE NUMBER THREE Hehehehehhee!!

Fisheyes
08-04-2003, 05:42 PM
Hey Smokey whats up in thre Crow
Fisheyes

Smokey
08-05-2003, 01:38 AM
Howdy ken- good to hear from you.
The times up here are very stress-ful.
Hot, smoke, flames, rubber necking, day that turns into night - night that is as bright as day.

If this keeps up, I just may have to use the w/c hose ... to put out the fires.

Smokey