PDA

View Full Version : n00bie questions!

Discus-n00b
08-03-2003, 06:22 PM
Hi all!

I am VERY new to these fish as i am to this forum. I just got a 55 gal tank and want to keep discus. I havn't gotten any filters or anything like that yet. What kind of filters would you recommend? I just need to know what all i need to get when i go to the store. Like a shopping list. :D

What PH is good for discus.....like what range? What other water "stuff" do i need to check for?

I am hoping to set up the tank this week and get my water ready. :D

I have a 25 gal that i am cleaning out to be used as a quarintine/breeding/Water Change holding tank. Is that good?

Anybody breed/sell fish in South Carolina? Columbia area?

Any other info provided will be GREATLY appreciated. :D :D :D :D :D :D

Ardan
08-03-2003, 06:42 PM
Hi and welcome!

Here is a link to an article that Carol wrote. Its really good. http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=21;action=display;threadid=9911

Also best to precycle that tank imo before adding the fish.

hth

Discus-n00b
08-03-2003, 06:43 PM
Oh you can bet i will cycle the tank.......always do with whatever fish i have.

Thanx!

Carol_Roberts
08-03-2003, 09:34 PM
Discus like stable pH. So the 25 gallon hold ing tank will be perfect. I bet your tap water pH will be fine. Usually anything we can drink will work for discus. You may need to off gas the CO2 from your water. If you do not have a pH test kit buy one. They can be found at any fish store or even walmart.

Test the pH of your water directly from the tap. Run some tap water into a coffee mug and let it set over night and test the pH again. Mine is 6.8 from the tap and 7.8 after setting overnight. If your numbers are far apart like mine you will need to agitatae your water to off gas the CO2 (bring it up to the level of the tank) Depending on your water you may be able to do this with an airstone or powerhead or pump.

Have you read the articles on fishless cycling?

I think we have members in both North and South carolina.

Discus-n00b
08-03-2003, 09:40 PM
I have read it but plan on reading it a couple hundred more times :D Never hurts!

So if my PH doesn't change or is a very close change i will not need a container for water changes.....(agitating the water)?

Glad to hear some fellow Carolinians are on the forum. (I am going ahead and looking for a good, close place to get some fish when the time comes so.....if any of you close to Columbia South Carolina sell....plz let me know.) Of course i am on kinda a budget....or else i'd get them from places across the country. Those shipping fees can hurt! :-X

Thanx Carol/Ardan

susankay1
08-03-2003, 09:49 PM
If you are planning on cycling the tank quickly, try Bio-Spira. I used it in my 90 gallon tank and it was cycled and ready for fish in less than a week. There are some good articles in here about Bio-Spira. I used it and loved it. Now I use it to cycle any new tank, along with my bio-sponges.

Discus-n00b
08-03-2003, 09:50 PM
I'll look into that

Thanx.

April
08-04-2003, 12:38 AM
hi. one of our members on here is Pat_in_NC. he sometimes has fry for sale. not sure where you are....hes near raleigh i think? maybe find him. he could have some coming up . not sure. but...if your close by..he knows all about hte water there. his water has chloramines.and it took him a bit of time to work that out. so find out from your city if there are any.
Let us know how it goes.

Discus-n00b
08-04-2003, 01:16 AM
I am a few hours from Raleigh. :-\ :-\

I'd like somewhere closer but thanx for trying!