PDA

View Full Version : Over Driving NO bulbs

Paulio
08-04-2003, 11:41 AM
Hi all,

The topic of overdriving regular fluorescent bulbs has come up a few times on the board and I have gotten several emails requesting more info on the subject. Here is a link an excellent article. If you are doing a plant tank and havent heard of it yet you should check it out.

hth
Paul

http://www.aquadirect.com/catalog/companyinfo/icecap.htm

P.S. the article talks about the expensive IceCap ballasts and while they work very very well you can get the same type of results from any high ballast factor unit.

RealFish
08-04-2003, 11:56 AM
I have been on to this for quite some time. I run a 660 ballast with three Philips DX bulbs over a 100 gallon planted tank. Everything grows great. Even the high light glosso at the bottom of the tank (that is when I don't let my CO2 cylinder run dry).

Paulio
08-04-2003, 05:16 PM
The best part is you dont have to use $100 + ballast to do it. I like the Fulhams (used in many PC retro kits) and the GE/Magnetek's from Home Depot.

Paul

Mr. Limpet
08-04-2003, 05:39 PM
Hi guys.
That is a real interesting article. I will have to make a trip to home depot. Got any hints on bargain end caps? Paul.

RandalB
08-04-2003, 07:27 PM
Paul,
Just get the replacement ones from the Home Depot. They'll be right over the Ballasts. $1.79 a set I think...

RandalB

Mr. Limpet
08-05-2003, 02:39 PM
Thanks RandalB. i think I'll take a lunch trip over to HD. Paul.

giroux68
08-13-2003, 04:17 PM
I did this a few months ago. What a difference from the old magnetic ballast. My problem was the limited space over the tank. It is in a hole between the kitchen and the living room so there is only about 3 inches of open space on either side.
I have two 1 inch diameter, 40 watt bulbs driven by a 4 bulb ballast with the cheapo end caps. The plants have been doing so much better since. The link above said something I never thought of...thats placeing the ballast somewhere else besides on top of the light like the diagram show. Now I am going to put it down with the filter and finish up the light housing with some moulding.