PDA

View Full Version : disturbing behaviour

SteveP
08-04-2003, 04:25 PM
???
Hello everyone, I have a young breeding pair of Red Turqoise Discus in a 72 gallon tank. Ph is 6.8, GH is 1dh, kh is 2-3dh. The pair recently began to breed when I established the water chemistry perfectly and added the third Discus. Their first three broods went well until the fry began to attempt feeding on the parents on the fifth day. The female ate the first two broods much to the males annoyance. He repeatedly poked at her mouth and his body language seemed to show he was upset or could'nt understand what she had done. The third brood also reached the point where they attempted to feed on the parents but this time the male ate them. The fourth brood are still attached to a leaf and will be looking for the parents soon. Somethings went differently for the fourth spawning. Eggs were attached to same place as the others, Female was normal but the male seemed to fertilize them only half-heartedly. The female did not fan the eggs as much as she did before and she would move away or ignore them for long periods. Now she will not let the male near the wrigglers and she is attacking him so hard and driving him to the other side of the tank that she is beating herself and him up quite badly plus ignoring the young. I have not observed or read of this behaviour before. Could someone please help.

Cheers

Wolf
08-04-2003, 05:33 PM
I would try to remove the female after they become wigglers. It sounds like she is causing the problem. I have to remove the female on my breeding pair also or she will eat the fry and she really doesn't do much as far as feeding anyway.