PDA

View Full Version : Gelatin or no Gelatin

knobby
08-05-2003, 11:09 AM
I have tried both. I found that the gelatin really didn't accomplish much
except to dissolve very quickly and foul the water.

Chaz
08-05-2003, 11:24 AM
I've never tried it but have read that agar agar holds up better in the higher temps we keep discus. Try a health food store??

Chaz

BlueTurquoise
08-06-2003, 01:17 AM
When making the beefheart mix (I am guessing that is where you are using gelatin ??? ) you have to "set" the gelatin by either heating up the mixure or adding a tiny bit of hot water to dissolve the gelatin. Then mix it thoroughly. Try not to be making jelly as in with water, but use the gelatin to just bond the food together.

I find that it is the opposite, the foods stays together way better and I don't have lots of crummy bits.

If you put your food in and it just dissolves instantly into the water then you have not used the gelatin correctly. I have tried without gelatin, with gelatin and wrongly mixed/unset/too much water and with gelatin correctly done. The third one is by far the best.

HTH

Jason
08-06-2003, 07:42 PM
if your using hot water to dissolve the gelatin and then mixing it into cold ingredience that you've just ground up it wont set properly either.

IMO agar agar does work better, guar gum works well too

BlueTurquoise
08-06-2003, 07:43 PM
hmm it worked for me this time around... ???

What is agar agar?

allan_mark76
08-12-2003, 05:57 PM
Agar is just like Gelatin, but has a little bit more hold/bonding with the BH. You can find it in any asian market. Look in the Desert section or ask for help.

A-

BlueTurquoise
08-12-2003, 07:37 PM
Is that the stuff they use to make the sweets in Ice Kachang desert?

Jason
08-12-2003, 10:33 PM
almond flavoured ;)

BlueTurquoise
08-12-2003, 10:44 PM
Oh that stuff!!! ::) :) mmm I always said that I'd only feed them what I would eat myself ;D