PDA

View Full Version : Community Tank!

wiseone
08-06-2003, 01:33 PM
can i keep discus, silver shark & Silver Dollar togather in same tank?????

angel12
08-06-2003, 02:24 PM
Welcome Wiseone In a word No

these fish are not suitable companinons for Discus ... for one they will not tolerate the Higher temp of water that you will need for the Discus average 84F
they are also to boisterious and will cause undue stress on the Discus ....and can also grow to quite a large size .....

Hope this helps and does not put you off keeping them You are doing the right thing by asking questions first ....
My advice to you would be to read read and read somemore try to learn as much as you can on this forum in regards to what makes these fish Happy

Good Luck

Dave
angel12 ;D ;D

wiseone
08-07-2003, 12:56 AM
Thnx for the advice!

i thought of giving away all my other fishes except Silver Shark & Silver Dollar n get Discus in exchange... I dont know wat 2 do now... i m emotionally attached to my Silver Shark & Silver Dollar :'( both pairs are my 1st fish (i.e. brought 1 1/2 yrs ago) i dont wanna giv them 2 ne 1... i dont knw wat 2 do!!!!!! :'(

neways thnx for the help again.

i will buy new tank for discus!!!!!! ::)

Carol_Roberts
08-07-2003, 01:38 AM
A New tank for the discus - excellent idea ;D

Luca
08-07-2003, 07:15 PM
Hi wiseone, welcome,

yeah i think it is a good idea to get a new tank. is the tank you have the silver shark and silver dollar in planted? If it is it could make a nice discus show tank one day. You should consider investing in a barebottom tank for discus to start with as they are easier to maintain and it is easier to treat for disease and algae problems etc. A barebottom tank will be great for (one day) a breeding pair and growing out the juveniles.

:)

Luca
08-07-2003, 07:17 PM
I just thought of another question that would be useful to plenty of us out there....

what DOES go with discus?

Cardinal Tetras
Neon Tetras (i know you must grow these out with the discus otherwise they become discus food)

Rummy Nose Tetras

what else?

ping
08-07-2003, 07:51 PM
Hi Luca,

Corydoraz, rams, tetra:cardinal,rummy-nose, black neon, checkerboard cichlid, kribensis.

Hmmm... cant remember any. I have kept those above with discus before.

Regards,
Ronny

angel12
08-08-2003, 07:11 AM
Hatchet fish (surface feeders)
Octacinclus Siames alage eaters (make sure they are not the chinese version look similar but are agressive) fantastic alage eaters ..

Plecs Bristlenose/ Golden Nugget/ zebra
Neons are best left out stick with the Cardinals and others ....

these are just a few suggestions

HTH

wiseone
08-08-2003, 08:57 AM
wat abt Alvino & red tail Shark??? will that do with discus? they seem very quite in my tank n their sze is not more then 2 1/2 inches in lenght!!!!!!!

wiseone
08-08-2003, 08:59 AM
Hi angel12, how to identify non chinese version of 'Octacinclus Siames' :D
got ne snap of it????

Hatchet fish (surface feeders)
Octacinclus Siames alage eaters (make sure they are not the chinese version look similar but are agressive) fantastic alage eaters ..

Plecs Bristlenose/ Golden Nugget/ zebra
Neons are best left out stick with the Cardinals and others ....

these are just a few suggestions

HTH

angel12
08-08-2003, 09:34 AM
In regard to the red tail shark they again will not go with Discus better putting in a sep tank with your other fish ...

as for Siamese alage eaters and Chinese Alage

take a look here http://www.azgardens.com/index2.htm

look for Alage eating fish

wiseone
08-09-2003, 05:49 AM
thx alot