PDA

View Full Version : help 2/3 dose ick clear hurt discus

liberal111
08-10-2003, 11:48 AM
I had a small out break of ick so I treated with two thirds of dose jungle ick clear twenty four hours latter changed fifty percent of the water and put in two thirds a dose once again. This monring I woke up to find my prized fish listless laying flat on the bottom not moving any fins, and eyes all cloudy. I immedietly did a fifty percent water change, put carbon in the filter, and latter turned on two additional air pumps once the ill fish went to the top and started gasping for air. It is been three hours now since I have had the additional air pumps on and the discus is still gasping for air. What should I do

Carol_Roberts
08-10-2003, 04:07 PM
Ick usually doesnt' survive at discus temperatures. Are you sure you had ick?

Have you checked for ammonia or nitrIte in the tank?

Did you put enough dechlor product in the tank when you did the large water changes? Was the pH close to the same?

How long have you had these discus - have you added any new fish?
I
s the tank fully cycled?

liberal111
08-10-2003, 04:28 PM
ammonia 0 nitrates 0 water was aged and declorinated. The fish had salt grain sized dots on fins that I believe to be ich however they did not respond to heat and salt treatment. No I have not added any new fish into the tank recently and yes the tank has been fully cycled

Carol_Roberts
08-10-2003, 04:43 PM
What temp was tank before problem? What temp now?

Could a parasite have been brought in?

Keep up daily water changes.

What is in Jungle Ick Clear? Isn't it like formaldehyde + dye, if yes, that shouldn't have hurt them . . . .

liberal111
08-10-2003, 04:51 PM
temperature used to be at 85 is not at 90. The medication is victoria green, acriflavine. The only problem with the fish was the salt grain sized dots on there fins. Now thier eyes are swelled cloudy and one has been at the top of the tank head up for the last 6 hours

Carol_Roberts
08-10-2003, 05:05 PM
You've added extra air. I'd do a couple more 30% water changes say 8 hours apart. Keep the salt @ 2 or 3 tablespoons per 10 gallons.

Are the "salt grains" (parasites) gone?

Were they scratching and flashing before? How about now?

liberal111
08-10-2003, 05:16 PM
the salt grains are still their, I have not seen them scratch at them. The ick clear box did say to use half a dose for sensative fish, but I did not know if you would discus where considered sensative fish so I used two thirds of a dose which apparely was too much. The fish is waisting lots of energy trying to stay at the top of the aquarium I doubt it will live much longer
Thanks for the help any ways

Carol_Roberts
08-10-2003, 05:36 PM
Your fish isn't getting enough oxygen. Either the gills are burned or there is not enough O2 in the water. HIgh temps means less O2 in water. (Don't lower temp more than 2 degrees right now) You have to use extra air with Meds like formalin too as they deplete oxygen. Lowering your water level an inch so that the water cascades back in from the filter will also add oxygen.

Good luck :-\

liberal111
08-11-2003, 11:23 AM
Well, the fish is still gasping for air despite thier being extra air stones in the water the temperature lowered to 87 degrees and the medicine completely removed from the water. A bubble of fluid formed in one of its eyes and poped so now thier is a whole in the center of its eye and part of it's fin has erroded.

brewmaster15
08-11-2003, 02:27 PM
Definetly not Ick, some other protozoan but not ick. How long have you had these fish?

-al

liberal111
08-11-2003, 03:42 PM
I have had the fish for five months