PDA

View Full Version : Equipment

Discus-n00b
08-10-2003, 09:16 PM
Hi everybody.

I am setting up my new 55gal for discus and need some equipment opinions.

What kind of heater, i've heard a certain kind were better for discus.....and i have seen numorous people attach their heaters near the bottom of the tank and sometimes at an angle. Is this to get the heat to rise?

Filter? Canister or HOT power filter? I would like something very easy to maintain and not to pricy. Like i can't build a sump or any kind of wet/dry filtration. Go to the store and buy type of thing.

I've noticed people using Spongeblocks in their tank and seen people recommend 2 for a 55gal. How and where do these hook to......a powerhead?

Anything i am missing? Air stones?

Plz let me know what you think and if i am missing anything i'd really like to get this tank up and cycled.

By the way....how long exactly would it take for me to cycle this tank?

BlueTurquoise
08-10-2003, 10:05 PM
Hi there!

Heaters - i use them upright as per instructions. They work fine in nearly any configuration but I am an as-per-instruction freak :)

Filtration - I would get HOB power filter like AquaClear 500 model and perhaps one Hydrosponge driven by air. I would use sponge to cover the intake of the Aquaclear to prevent large chunks entering the filter.

Cycling - Do you plan to fishless cycle?

Discus-n00b
08-10-2003, 10:08 PM
i was planning to go Fishless but which is faster? :D

And thanx for the other advice.

BlueTurquoise
08-10-2003, 10:12 PM
Fishless is definately best, to avoid introducing diseases etc as well as to avoid fish suffering whilste your tank is cycling :) . You need plain, no suds, no perfume ammonia from the supermarket, an ammonia test kit as well as a Nitrite and a Nitrate test kit. This process could take around 3-4 weeks.

Are you planning bare bottom or gravelled?

Discus-n00b
08-10-2003, 10:14 PM
gotta go with the bare bottem

BlueTurquoise
08-10-2003, 10:19 PM
Good for you! :) Bare bottom is the way to go for juvenile fish grow out.

Heater brands - erm this is a confusing topic as lately I have had many problems with heaters and I feel let down by them. However that said I do like the look of Sera heaters and Hagen Tronics have worked for me in the past. I use Via Aqua heaters, not sure if you can get them where you are though...

With the AquaClear, I would use only sponges and leave out the ammonia remover and carbon block. Basically this filter comes with 3 things, sponge, amrid and carbon. I would buy 2 extra foams and use the filter as 1 large foam filter. Use carbon only to remove medication etc.

Good luck with that! :)

Discus-n00b
08-10-2003, 10:23 PM
Could i do a HOT Magnum and a AC500? Would that be to much or what?

Thanx!

April
08-10-2003, 10:26 PM
hi. most of us have our heaters on the bottom or sideways. the heat distributes better. and if your draining you dont have to worry about them being out of the water everytme.
hard to know what kind of heater to get...lots of brands have had problems. ive heard sera are very good.
ialso agree either a aquaclear 500 with two sponge blocks in it..or a few large hydro sponges. they hook up to an air pump.
other than that....i guess a thermometer..thats about it.
not a bad idea to have an airstone on hand.if you ever need to raise the temperature the more air the better. less oxygen at higher heat.
a hot magnum is a nice filter to have for water polishing. i have one but dont use it all the time.
good luck with your new tank and let us know when the discus get to be added. 8) :wave:

Discus-n00b
08-10-2003, 10:29 PM
Thanx and i will keep you updated!

Keith.L
08-11-2003, 12:36 AM
Heaters:

I used to have mine at a "vertical upright" position, but switched to a slanted sideway placment near the bottom. This allows lazy person like myself to leave the heater switched on during WC (or simply more time to switch off the heater in case I forgot to do it at start of WC).

Another thing that you may want in a heater for Discus is temperature setting that is slightly higher (e.g. 32C instead of 30C or 28C).

Best of luck with your 55G. I can only wish I got more room to "upgrade" my 22G into a 55G...

-Keith 030811

BlueTurquoise
08-11-2003, 12:37 AM
I stand my heaters upright but still below the lowest water change level :)

Keith.L
08-11-2003, 12:42 AM
That's because your tank is much MUCH bigger than my tiny 22G, Chong. ;D

BlueTurquoise
08-11-2003, 12:44 AM
OH I see! ;D