PDA

View Full Version : What would you like to know more about?

brewmaster15
08-10-2003, 10:06 PM
Hi all,

I was doing a water change... my time for reflection and deep thoughts and I got to thinking about all the things I have learned over the years about keeping discus and all the things I Still need to learn about.

If you had an area of the Hobby that you thought you could use more info on, or needed to learn more about, what would they be?

For me... I'd really like better handle on the water chemistry issues and the nutritional aspects. I spend alot of time learning about diseases, and breeding these beautiful fish, but My water chemistry background is weak...knowing enough to get by and not kill my fish from it. Nutrition... well Discus nutritional understanding has aways to go still.

so what would be an area you would like to learn more on? Who knows...maybe someone else here may be able to help.

Take care,
al

knobby
08-10-2003, 10:37 PM
genetics

A x B = C

C x C = ?

C x A = ?

how a new strain is created etc

Luca
08-10-2003, 10:50 PM
I like the lists of information that can be found in certain areas, it would be good to have that in a set area so that you can have access to it everything and all the time. For example i find it hard to track down info on the Nitrogen cycle if i forget where it is.

I would like there to be more info on diseases, what meds to use, and how they work. The med section seems complicated but most people i talk to use one or two meds most of the time. It would be good to know what you need most of the time. This will help beginners like me prepare for owning discus much better.

Thanks brew.

daninthesand
08-10-2003, 11:45 PM
I'd like to know if there are any other species of fish that feed their young off the slime of the parents' body.

I'd also like to know what is in the slime that is so nutritious. Chemical breakdown.

I'd also like to know if discus have an immune system.

Simple enough?! LOL!

Daniel

jim_shedden
08-11-2003, 08:16 AM
Al :I would like to see a medicinal chart. It would list the diseases, symptoms, diagnosis, medications recommended doses and "how to" deliver the medications. I make notes myself but as was mentioned sometimes it is hard for me to find them.

Also , a spell check would be nice.......... ;D

jim

RandalB
08-11-2003, 08:23 AM
I'd like to know how to get some D@mn babies from my pairs... ;)

RandalB

O
08-11-2003, 08:57 AM
Nutrition, Genetic and Water Chemistry.
Then again I'm relatively new to the hobby and have a ton to learn.

I'm also very curious about Amazonian habitat and natural water & biochemistry. I've been compiling a lot of info and online sources on that subject and hopefully can share it here some time soon.

O.

daninthesand
08-11-2003, 09:57 AM
I second that Randal!

Jeff
08-11-2003, 01:21 PM
What intrigues me the most is nutrition. How much protein, fat, and ash are necessary at the various level of development to reach that perfect discus? Somehow I have a feeling what we feed is way off.

DarkDiscus
08-11-2003, 04:19 PM
I agree with the genetics part - I find that stuff fascinating...

John

mench
08-12-2003, 08:11 AM
I'll third that on the babies thing...I like the meds chart thing and also best breeder tips,fry raising,and I know if we all search the posts we can get everything we are asking for LOL

Mench

CARY_GLdiscus
08-12-2003, 01:34 PM
A BIG DISCUS SHOW IN THE USA WITH EVERYONE THERE AS FRIENDS! ;D

jeep
08-12-2003, 03:08 PM
Ditto what Jim said.

There are so many differing opinions, so many different threads and so many different courses of action (all very useful), but it would be great to have one nice neat package that could only be modified by a moderator.

Brian

Mistakes R Crucial
08-14-2003, 04:55 PM
I would like to know how I can have all the experieince you mods' have gained over the years put in to my head in one foul swoop. There has to be a way!

In reality, same as Jim. How to recognise I have a sick fish, what's wrong with it and how to treat it.

April
08-14-2003, 11:50 PM
MistakesRCrucial. us mods still have plenty of learning to do.
but its repitition. drilling it into our heads over and over and over on the forums and books and advice. eventually some sinks in. lol.
i remember feeling just like you. how will i remember all this?
still need to reread and hear more ...but some sank in..

Mistakes R Crucial
08-15-2003, 12:17 AM
Thanks April, I still think there should be a way lol!!

It's fun learning all this stuff but at the same time a bit daunting. I'll get there but I think it would have been easier falling for the looks and character of Bristlenose Catfish than Discus. Im just glad I like a challenge.
NB

April
08-15-2003, 12:43 AM
ok.well think we need to get Brew onto this...he can make up one of those machines in his lab to stick metal caps with wires to transfer knowledge from his brain into ours.
suck all the info out of the members with knowledge and implant it into the newer members heads?
ok..the challenge is great..and the more of a challenge .the more of a sense of accomplishment when you get those first discus happy and growing and starting to pair up..then the eggs come.and your at the next level of info and learning and scanning for info and etc etc.
observation is your best tool...i think. watch and watch and observe and learn their behaviour etc.

Mistakes R Crucial
08-15-2003, 12:59 AM
April,

Putting it simply, I cant wait!

discuskrib
08-16-2003, 05:57 PM
i'll second the habitat and exactly which other fish are naturally found swimming near wild discus. same with the plants found in the amazon.

AndyL
08-17-2003, 03:20 PM
i'll second the habitat and exactly which other fish are naturally found swimming near wild discus. same with the plants found in the amazon.

Check the biotope/planted tank section - have a look at amano's pictures of his trip to the amazon.

From all the underwater pictures I've seen of the amazon - it appears as though plants are pretty scarce. But by the color of the water that doesn't surprise me; as little light would penetrate. My guess would be that the bottom is rarely plant covered except during the rainy season - but the areas along the sides of the rivers where the plants can reach out of the water, have lots of plants. And this would probably explain why most amazon 'aquatic plants' grow either emersed or submersed.

Andy

discuskrib
08-17-2003, 10:50 PM
thanx AndyL - couldn't find the post you were referring to maybe you could provide a link?

i've seen a few pics of people on the amazon before with larger fish but the pics are of course always above water, never show the underwater vegetation and rarely show the smaller, aquarium sized fish that live there.
if there is so little aquatic vegetation then it should be fairly easy to list them right? i'd still like to see a list.

AndyL
08-17-2003, 11:09 PM
thanx AndyL - couldn't find the post you were referring to maybe you could provide a link?

i've seen a few pics of people on the amazon before with larger fish but the pics are of course always above water, never show the underwater vegetation and rarely show the smaller, aquarium sized fish that live there.
if there is so little aquatic vegetation then it should be fairly easy to list them right? i'd still like to see a list.

Its listed in the sticky under the subject "Index" but for some reason all the links are non-functional - Brewmaster?!?!?! There are also pics of expeditions to various rivers, but they also don't work...

Andy

giroux68
08-19-2003, 06:19 PM
I'd like to know more about behavior and interaction of discus. Just what does all the different pecking, chasing, rubbing against eachother. Observation helps some, but nothing beats more experience.

bryalk1
08-22-2003, 10:28 PM
hi, i'd like to learn more about diagnosing and treatment stategies. i was reading wattley was encouaging everyone to get a microscope in this months tfh. but what about stains etc. newer treatments would be great as well. thanks al great topic

brewmaster15
08-25-2003, 10:55 PM
Hi Andy,
Those links are dead because the posts were moved from the biotope section to the amazon section. Unfortunately when you move a post the software doesn't update the links :-\n

Hi Bryant...
This may help..
http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=10;action=display;threadid=1140

-al

samcatj
08-31-2003, 08:02 AM
I second Jim's suggestion about a detailed sickness/medication chart done in a very layman's way.

Samcatj

ChloroPhil
09-24-2003, 03:25 PM
I want to have a better understanding of their ecology.

Al, want to write a grant for us to go to Brazil for some scientific study? :)

brewmaster15
09-25-2003, 10:26 PM
Al, want to write a grant for us to go to Brazil for some scientific study? sounds like a plan to me! :)

-al

ChloroPhil
09-26-2003, 08:35 AM
Alright! We can call it Fins and Fronds go to Brasil! (Notice the spelling of Brasil, I think it should be one of those funky foreign artsy films)

Shari
10-01-2003, 01:33 AM
I'll add the need for the knowledge of the meds that can be mixed w/o harm to the Discus. So many can and few of us know which is a can-do or cannot.
(parasites and bacterial issue) (worms and bacterial issue or worms and parasites at same time)...common things especially when first starting out.....

Thanks to a few people who gave me some knowledge on this or I would have lost my precious Discus over the months...... ;D

I would love a list of of these to put up on my wall !!

10-21-2003, 02:32 AM
Hi Brew,

i second genetics.

It is amazing the studies that are done with angelfish- i mean people like Steve Rybicki and Scott Saunders and Mrs. Norton have done incredible job studying the genotypes.

Why is it so hard for discus?

alex

Sean Buehrle
08-21-2004, 09:57 PM
i would like to see a study or investigation by the people who have great success with multiple pairs.

i would want them to get detailed water reports and then
put them side by side to see what is always present in their water and at what %. .

i would like to see what is in the water from the tap and after any type of filtration like ro/di or whatever.

and i have noticed from pics of peoples tanks that most people who have good success dont really wipe sides down as much as is advised, i say this because if you look at most big breeders tanks they have quite alot of biologicals growing on the glass, mostly on the back.

i am saying this because i think keeping a tank completely clean all the time is detrimental to water quality. i do think you must keep all the crap cleaned up and large water changes tho.

Carol_Roberts
08-22-2004, 12:04 AM
Have you read Watley's Discus For the Perfectionist?

Sean Buehrle
08-22-2004, 12:24 AM
carol
yeah i have all of wattleys books.
why do you ask?

ppv1951
09-07-2005, 01:52 PM
definately more about water.

pat.