PDA

View Full Version : Sound advice!!

Bill_P.
08-11-2003, 05:50 AM
Hiya,

I have to much time on my hands. So to waste my time i'm going to bore you with the best advice i think i have ever given about discus.

I thaught of something my wife said she had watched In a movie. She was quoting some of the movie. The quote was. "I like to watch all of the news channels covering the same story. That way I form my own opinion from all the differnt stories and find out the truth of the event". I know thats not a true statement in as you will actually find the truth. although there is truth in it I think.....

So I was conversating with a buddy of mine named Henry about Aquarium fish in general. I Love turning my in general conversations to discus conversations. Henry does not keep discus, He wants to but just hasn't made his way to them yet. He was asking about the discus, how to keep them,what they need, and so on. When that quote poped in my head for some reason. So I tell Henry. If you want to keep discus. Read every source of information you can. Take all that information you covered form your own methods. If you read the exact same information in several books, articles, forums, etc. Chances are that the information will be effective and you cut around alot of the non important stuff, theroies, and stuff like that. You prepare yourself for discus and all the things that come with them. All in all you would have alot less of a bumpy ride.

Later in the day I was thinking about what I had told him. Man on man I wish I could have took my own advice when I started keeping discus. I would have saved a ton of money. My worried mind would had been alot more at ease as well.

Passing time............
Bill

Ps. Ever notice how the clock moves so much slower at work

brewmaster15
08-11-2003, 10:55 AM
Bill most of us are great at giving advise, but very weak at following it ourselves. ;) ;D

-al

Paulio
08-11-2003, 12:15 PM
Bill most of us are great at giving advise, but very weak at following it ourselves. ;) ;D

-al

Testify! ;D

discuskrib
08-11-2003, 02:34 PM
about the only thing to watch for in that advice is to pay attention to where your source got its information. for instance: many authors will get their info from other books instead of first hand. if the book they got their info from was wrong then the info will likely still be wrong in the new book.

as for forming your own opinion on news from tv or newpapers you have to be careful there too. nowadays most tv stations are all owned by the same people/companies, same with newspapers, so if the owner of the station or paper has an certain opinion on whatever is in the news (especially political ads) then the news will all likely show the same bias in every other station or paper that that person owns.
you might be surprised at just how much news doesn't get reported just because of these biases