PDA

View Full Version : Signs of a runt

Timinator
08-11-2003, 09:48 AM
I have a discus that i think is going to be a runt.. can anyone tell me, do runts reach adult size but just reach that size at a much slower rate? What is considered a runt?? I have one of my discus that sits in a corner of the tank, keeps to himself, when i feed the fish he doesn't come up and pig out like the others.. he'll pick at the spobge filter and eat very little... he is in good shape but i had 2 fish that were the same size, the other fish has grown significantly where he just hasn't grown at all..... That sucks cause he is a very nice fish.. love his color.. i would love to see him grow!! Any ideas as to how i can change this situation?

Thanks.
Tim C.

RichieE
08-12-2003, 09:58 AM
Hi Tim. If you only have 3 discus in the tank that could be your problem. Try to keep at least 6-8 together so that one fish isnt singled out to be picked on. Discus grow the most during the first year and the fastest the first few months. If your fish is about a year old and only a few inches with eyes that seem to large for its body its a runt. It will most likely never reach adult size.
I have had smaller fish pass larger ones so don't give up on him if hes just a few months old. HTH Rich

ronrca
08-12-2003, 10:03 AM
Rich is right! Depends on the age of the runt! Its kind of funny that in nearly every tank, there will always be a 'runt' or someone that gets picked on. It seems that by splitting up the discus as they grow into similar sizes helps. Also, like Rich mentioned, sometimes the smaller discus get a growth spurt and by pass their peers. I would think that its an environment issue perhaps. By changing one varible may make the difference. Just some thoughts! 8)