PDA

View Full Version : water barrel

ping
08-13-2003, 08:52 AM
Hi,

I bought a brand new barrel for water storage. I have rinsed it.
Is it safe to use now? Or anything else i should do to clean it up ?

Regards,
Ronny

darcy
08-13-2003, 09:10 AM
I would say that depends on what was in it, if anything. I have cleaned barrels with anything from vinegar and water solution to peroxide. I'm lucky I guess cause we get food grade 55 gallon barrels for our product. When I bring these home I just use vinegar and water and rinse really well and add water. I have a barrel surplus anyone needing slightly used barrels??

Darcy

ping
08-13-2003, 09:19 AM
Hi Darcy,

Thanks.

It is a brand new barrel. Never been used at all before.
When i rinsed it, the water was clear. No smell.

Regards,
Ronny

shorthair
08-13-2003, 11:23 AM
You could also use a bleach/water solution. Always a good idea to sanitize just in case ;D

Devin

Tad
08-13-2003, 12:46 PM
I also use food grade water storage containers. Most of mine did house things like soaps to even Jalapenos ;D...From my experience I have 1/4 filled the barrels with fresh water add some baking soda and scrub the bottom and sidewalls to remove any smells.....rinse again and fill with water and chlorine. I soak it for about a half a day in this solution and rinse 3 times with clear water like you would do with a "test tube" and then wipe it out with paper towels and air dry for 24 hours. This method has worked well for me ;)

HTH,
Tad

Jeff
08-13-2003, 01:16 PM
Should be good to go then Ping. Otherwise use Tads method.

08-13-2003, 01:21 PM
Take a few gallons and test it with a cull for a few daysbefore filling the rest of tanks.
Jimmy.

Mattzilla
08-14-2003, 06:26 AM
RONNY
what type of barrel is it? where did you get it from?

matt

ping
08-14-2003, 08:19 AM
Hi guys,

Thanks for your advices.

Hi Jimmy,

I will test it with a cull .. hehehehehehe .... One cull with go in tomorrow.
Poor him. Not into the barrel though.... Into a small tank .. hehehe ..
Barrel only has 2 small holes. I can put him in, but too hard to take him out .. hehehehe ... Thanks.

Hi Matt,

It's a plastic barrel (200ltr). I bought it from drum manufacture for A$67 brand new. It's a solid barrel, only have two 3"-4" holes. i made one of the hole bigger, so i can put my submersible pump inside.

Regards,
Ronny

08-14-2003, 08:48 AM
Ronny Ping ping: you're a rich man. $67 for a barrel?? Wouldn't it be cheaper buying an Aquarium. People forget there are barrels everywhere that you can use. Just ask the fellow who call you everyweek for carpet cleaning. They have 50 gal. barrel for the carpet cleaning solution which is non toxic and environmental friendly. You can drink those stuff without getting sick. Don't try it!!!. Just let them clean your carpet and ask for a few barrels. They are quite willing to give them to you for free and thank you for taking them. I have quick a few of them brought in clean and washed with the top cut open by the carpet cleaning company . The plastic is thick and you can never break them.
Jimmy.

LobsterMobster
08-15-2003, 01:02 AM
Does anyone have any other ideas of places to get barrels? I myself am about ready to give up and pay way more than I should.

I called 4 seperate soft drink bottling plants and all of them said they wouldn't sell me a 55 gallon barrel.

DiscusBob
08-15-2003, 01:59 AM
I would love to know where to get a good barrel! I learned the hard way that big plastic trash cans won't cut it.

How about other ideas for ageing water? I'm using my 55 gal. aquarium now, but I'd like to use it for fish instead.

I wanna barrel!!! ;)

ping
08-15-2003, 05:14 AM
Hi Jimmy,

I have no chooice. :( It is Australian dollar which is about US$44. For 200ltr, i guess it's resonable. hehehehehe .. not rich .. i am still a student, to be precise 'professional student' ... :'(. Working part time at uni. Failing students to get myself some discus. :wasntme:

It's a nice barrel (5-6mm thick), i will post the picture soon. I borrowed a digital camera from friend and took me 10 mins to figure out where the flash button is .. the manual is in germany. cant read it at all ... :)

Thanks for the idea with carpet cleaning. I dont have much carpet in my house, so no barrels for me... :) I am not business to them at all .. hehehehe ;D

The drum manufacture has second hand barrel for A$30 but it is too risky to take it as they dont know what it has been used for. Most of his customers are from petrol stations. ::) ::)

Aquarium is more expensive. For 200ltr one, i can buy 2 barrels. Nothing is cheap down here (Perth, Western Australia). :( :( :(
All fish equipment, i bought it from other states through online order. LFS sells them twice the price i bought. :(. And discus price. Better for me not to mention it. DOHHHHH ...

Hi LobsterMobster,
Sorry to hear that. Have you tried to call drum manufacture or drum services ? That's where i got my barrel from. I called few manufactures, some of them dont have plastic barrel.

Hi DiscusBob,
Yeah, what a waste to use 55 gal to age the water. :(
Hope you can find barrel :)

Regards,
Ronny

April
08-15-2003, 06:25 AM
Look under plastics in the yellow pages. or look for a surplus recycle type store. we have one...where they sell all that kind of stuff.
Ronny i hear about your discus and fish supply prices. their not that nice of prices!!

ping
08-15-2003, 06:40 AM
Hi April,

Yeah, price really bad.. but surprisingly people still buy them ... :o
Leopard SS 3-4 inch, imported from singapore. A$250 .. geee .. hehehehehe
Not my range for sure....

Only cheap things here is the heckels. 3-4 inch for A$120. :)
I found it resonable .. not sure whether cheap or not.

I bought 8 outlets airpump for A$60 (online order) and the LFS sells the same one for $120. GEEEEEE. I needed airline urgently yesterday, went to LFS. A$1.30 per meter.. for low quality ones. A$1.80 per meter for good ones.. Arghhhhhh.. i am going crazy soon.

Regards,
Ronny

discuskrib
08-16-2003, 07:18 PM
Ping,

you should be able to get airline from your local hardware store for a cheaper price than LFS.

for barrels you can try what April said and look under plastics in the phone book. you can also looking under waste management (liquid).

the company i work for deals with liquid waste and that is where i got my barrels (free). i did rinse them out a lot and then used guppies to test the water to see if it would be safe for my other fish. so far so good! ;D

plastic barrels are so rigid and thick that i gave my scouts a project to build canoes out of them. after a little trial and error we were able to take them down the local river earlier this summer. even crashing them into the rocks we had no leaks.

Jeff
08-16-2003, 10:07 PM
Here is a good source in the US: http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=USPlastic&category%5Fna me=Vertical+Tanks&product%5Fid=Large+Vertical+Clos ed+Head+Tanks&cookie%5Ftest=1

Also Farm Feed stores have them.

ping
08-16-2003, 11:23 PM
Hi guys

Thanks for your replies. I will for cheap barrel next time . :)
Hopefully, i can get free ones. :) :bounce2:

I needed urgently before, that's why did not think properly with the price. :banghead:

Nice website Jeff. Too bad for me, no Australian Plastic Corp :(

Regards,
Ronny

discuskrib
08-17-2003, 11:57 AM
another water storage idea would be to make yourself a wooden box and use pond liner inside. you could probably even get away with cheaper plastic sheets (ask at your hardware store) or tarps.

this coming year's project for my scout group i think is going to be making a home-made hot tub this way. i've already started making the plans for it.