PDA

View Full Version : Begginner breeding set-up

Samurai
08-13-2003, 04:27 PM
Me and my dad are seriously considering starting up a small discus breeding program. I currently house 4 juveniles (3-4.5 in) and I NEED MORE DISCUS. I've got a few questions though:

Buy a Pair, or Raise my own (Buying 6-8 fish and hope for one)?

I was thinking about getting 3-20 gallon tanks for breeding, and 2-40 gallon to grow out, will this be enough for 2 breeding pairs??

I have well water and AFTER going through my house drinking water filter it's parameters are as follows:
PH - 7.6
KH - 11*
GH - 12*
I know there is almost no hope in breeding them in this kind of water, so...Given the tanks listed above, how many GPD R/O unit would I need? Is an ozonizer cheaper/better in the long run?

I've seen R/O units parts that you can order individually, could I make one like this myself? I have basic plumbing know-how (PVC)

I'll have plenty more as time goes on, and please bombard me with yours! You guy's have a great forum and I've learned tons of info on breeding and keeping discus in these past 2 weeks I've been reading artivcles!Thanks

James

Carol_Roberts
08-13-2003, 04:44 PM
Hi James:
29 gallon is a better size for breeders and you will need at least 55 gallon for grow out - larger is better.

As far as breeders vs. growing out a group of juveniles . . . .
Have you ever raised a group of juveniles? If not that would be a good way to learn about discus before you attempt to breed them.

Pairs can be expensive and may not breed for you for several months or could breed in two weeks.

Samurai
08-14-2003, 03:26 PM
So Maybe I should get like, three 29's(for breeders) and maybe a 125, for growout? I have 4 right now that are all growing up quiet nicely. So maybe I can hope for a pair of the mix? But they're just be breeding funky colors!