PDA

View Full Version : What happens if discus breed with other discus in the tank?

Abercrombie6202
08-13-2003, 05:53 PM
I was thinking since i'm getting a 6 discus and i'm going to put them into a 75 gallon planted tank. What happens if 1 pair of discusspawn and have babies, will the other discus and fish eat the eggs, will the pair of discus kill other fish and discus, is there a chance for the fry to survive?

Should i put them in their own tank, how would i move the eggs into that tank too? Are there signs when the discus are almost ready start to spawn?

What is the Minimum size tank i could put 1 pair of discus in? I have a 20 gallon high that is a community tank at the moment, but if i took all the gravel, driftwood, and zaire root out of the tank, put a sponge filter in there and take out the bio-wheel, and did water changes pretty much every day, would it be fine for a pair of discus

ronrca
08-13-2003, 06:50 PM
First of all rejoice! ;D

Second, relax! They may eat their eggs anyways but Im sure they will try again. Check out the breeding section! You will also need to know your conductivity of your water.

Third,
lets try to raise discus and be successful in growing them! ;)

Fourth,
How old are the discus?

Carol_Roberts
08-13-2003, 07:27 PM
You most likely will not be able to raise babies in a planted community tank. Really a 29 gallon bare bottom is a better size for a breeding tank.

korbi_doc
08-15-2003, 08:58 AM
:bounce2: :bounce2: hi, I've had sev'l discus prs breed in my tanks. Mostly eggs, can't be sure its a pr unless u see wigglers. One pr of mine in the 125g had wigglers 4X, parents usually eat them before the others. Then I put them in their own tank & have babies to raise. I now have sev'l laying eggs at both ends of the 90g, but haven't seen wigglers so far. Unlike most of you, I don't want them to breed, not enough room & too much work,

I agree with Carol, 29g BB is better size, my pr did not like the 20g when I tried to use it for them, had to return to community tank, lol, Dottie ;D