PDA

View Full Version : Vacation Prep

bikhu
08-14-2003, 09:59 PM
Hi Everyone,
I am leaving for a week vacation and will have no one to fish sit. I have been feeding really heavy and have been doing extra water changes. Cleaned out the filters really well and have been slowly reducing the temp. How low should I lower it? My plan is to get them as sedate as possible. No food little activity and lots of prayers... Please advise. BTW I am leaving Saturday so I need answers like tonight!! Thanks everyone...
Much Metta~
peter

BlueTurquoise
08-14-2003, 10:07 PM
Hi Pete,

Don't lower it too much. I would actually leave the themperature alone...

Turn your lights off for the duration of your vacation. Tommorrow morning before you leave, do another water change. Make sure everything is spotless before you leave. Don't feed them anything else from now on, or else they will poop too much.

Don't use vacation feeder unless it is more than 4 days, if so set it to feed VERY lightly. They should be fine.

How long is your trip? Have fun!

Tad
08-14-2003, 10:09 PM
Peter,
When I go on vacation I prepare by cleaning my tanks and doing a 50 percent water change the evening before or on the morning that I am leaving.....I never super clean the filter as I do not want to disrupt the bio as I will not be there to see any dramatic changes in ammonia or nitrites... I stop feeding my discus the evening before, keep the heat the same and just leave. I havent been away for a full week but have spent up to 4-5 days away with this method and no problems..I do not feel you have to "sedate" them in any manner.....hope others will share their vacation prep ideas prior to you having to leave...

good luck,
Tad

Jeff
08-14-2003, 10:12 PM
If they are 3" or greater, no problem. Do a 75% change and go. They will still be there when you come home. They can easily go 7 days.

BlueTurquoise
08-14-2003, 10:13 PM
Definately do not superclean the filters! :)

I meant Spotless as in all the leftover food and poop is removed...

I think lights off works well for me...

Keith.L
08-14-2003, 11:32 PM
Your fish will do fine, Peter. I travel regularly for work (from a few days to several weeks) and I haven't lost one fish yet.

I do agree with others about leaving the temperature unchanged. I thought I read about cooler temperature induce spawning...

If you plan to use an automatic feeder, use the lowest setting to feed the least amount. If possible, test it out to see how much actually get dumped out.

Regards,
-Keith 030815

bikhu
08-15-2003, 07:30 AM
Thanks everyone!
We are going for a full week. Cruising out of New Orleans around the Western Carribean. I am having some mixed feelings about it. I would rather spend the money on Discus!!! But I suppose my family deserves some attention too! ;)
On our way through New Orleans we hope to catch up with Beth.
I was thinking that If I reduced the temp it would lower the metabolic rate and make them less active hence reduce their need for food or attention. Lights will be off and no auto feeder. Most of the fish are over 3" 2 right about 3" and everyone else 4 - 6" . You are all probably right ... I am sure they will be fine but I am like a nervous dad...
By the way... anyone wanna dog sit? ::)

08-15-2003, 12:14 PM
Hey Peter..... I'll be home ;D

Very Fishy
08-15-2003, 12:20 PM
Enjoy your cruise. You will have a great time. One thing I promise you, you will eat too much. We did the Eastern Carribbeen in 1995 (before kids) and had a great time.

Your fish should be fine for one week if you follow all the good advise given.

Warren

bikhu
08-15-2003, 11:03 PM
Thanks for your suggestions everyone! We are all set to go and the fihies are snug in their beds...
I'll miss checking in here every night for the next week but it will be nice to see what my family looks like!!! :o
Take care and Peace!
peter