PDA

View Full Version : New discus scenario: Opinions please!

Lazonby
08-15-2003, 06:00 PM
I was down at the LFS today and was checking out their discus. They have some nice 2-2.5" snakeskins with rounded heads, small eyes, and good finnage. The employee let me feed them, and all the discus in the tank ate like pigs! None stayed in the corner and all appreared to be in good health. The other type of discus they had were red turquise, but they were obviously stunted (eyes not proportional to the body) and their heads were flattened. All of the discus I saw poop seemed to poop normally. I know all the discus have been in their tank at least 3 weeks. Anyhoo, my question/scenario is this:

I would like to pick up 6 of the snakeskins. The tank I have at home is a 20 gallon long, heavily planted. The pH is 7.2 (regulated by pressurized CO2) and the KH & GH are roughly 15dH (tap water--the discus at the store are in R/O water--pH of 7.8, but the employee said that their R/O unit did not remove hardness). I use a Marineland HOT filter filled with biomedia. My tank inhabitants would be 2 clown loaches, 3 otocinclus, 3 small SAE's (I can remove them), and some cardina japonica shrimp.

Would this be a good tank to keep the discus in for say, 2-3 months? During this time I will be able to make sure they are parasite free--this tank would be my planted "Q" tank. I'm not worried about the plants if I have to medicate, but I also have a cycled 10 gallon tank standing by holding feeder fish I could use as well. I will be able to get a much larger tank in the near future.

I welcome any opinions and advice! Thanks!

Debo
08-15-2003, 08:46 PM
I would go Bare bottom with young discus. It is alot easier to care for. They need to be fed often and lots of water changes . I do 50% a day on my 2 to 3 inch babies. And I might bump up to 100% a day. I started out with my discus in a planted tank and it can be done but it was very frustrating! Almost made be forget about discus. :( 20 gal. would not be big enough IMO. Read more on Simply lots of great help and great people!!!
DebO

Lazonby
08-15-2003, 11:56 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. I've been reading and reading on the site, and like you said, there's tons of great info! I'd love to keep discus, but I also know that I must be responsible. To me, they are an investment, and their well-being will provide a return of my happiness.

I also read through the entire "planted vs. bare bottom" debate. I have to side with planted tanks. I am very experienced with them, but I also know that discus are equally majestic and must be cared for to the best of their owners' ability.

My question is why was your planted tank + discus experience frustrating? I'm only asking to see if there is anything I may have overlooked or an issue I may have to confront.

To provide more info on my long-term goals, I would like to raise moderately young discus to maturity (as I do with all of my fish). I'm not looking to breed them, but if they happen to breed, it wouldn't bother me! Fish are my pets; it's fascinating to watch them grow and develop to maturity and beyond! Eventually, I'm looking at either a 75 or a 100 gallon home for them. I'm not sure I could bare the sight of a bare tank ;) I do happen to have a 29 gallon that is empty at the moment...

I really appreciate your input! My ears are always open! :)

Wolf
08-16-2003, 01:20 AM
You will most likely stunt them in a planted tank. It's better to grow them out bb and then when they are adults transfer to a planted tank. 20g planted tank is way too small for 6 fish you will end up stunting them.

angel12
08-16-2003, 04:38 AM
Got to agree there if you want healthy fish who grow well then BB is the way to go you are going to cause yourself problems trying to feed the fish 4-5 times a day and being able to remove the uneaten food from the substrate wihout overloading the Filter... Im not saying it isnt possible but if you want Good Clean growth also making the Task Easier for yourslef BB is the Only way to go ....

I faced this question when I wanted a planted tank and Discus I settled on a compromise were I placed adults in my planted tank .for the above reasons
:)

Carol_Roberts
08-17-2003, 01:44 AM
You're going to need a 55 to completely grow out the 6 snakeskins. Why not just get it now and grow them out bare bottom. A planted 20 is way too small. I also worry about pH fluctuations from the CO2 . . . .