PDA

View Full Version : Need help, tapeworms :(

RobKenobi
08-16-2003, 07:57 PM
Hello guys, and I feel I must appologise that my first post is a cry for help.

What can I do about tapeworms? :( I saw a 3" one hanging out of one of my fish yesterday and dont know what to do.
I am in the UK and need to know if salt in the tank and higher temps will do any good? as I dont think I have access to the same meds as you guys in the states.

Kind Regards,

Rob

Barb Newell
08-16-2003, 08:32 PM
Hi. You might be able to get prazi in the UK. Check out this link.

Barb :)

http://www.wormers-direct.co.uk/wormerprices.html

Jeff
08-16-2003, 10:14 PM
Rob,

First make sure it is a tape worm and not Hex.

Jeff
08-16-2003, 10:16 PM
Here is a good link to tape worms: http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=10;action=display;threadid=1024

Jeff
08-16-2003, 10:17 PM
Here is a good one for hex: http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=10;action=display;threadid=1058

They can look very similar, but use two seperate treatments.

RobKenobi
08-17-2003, 05:43 AM
Hello all, and thanks for your replys :)

I very much think it is a tapeworm, as all fish waste in the tank is solid and looks normal (barebottom) cant see any sign of white anywhere.

One fish in particular looks to have a an enlarged stomach area, but still eats like a pig (worm(s) prob having a good feed too!

Tank is VERY clean as I am obsesive about this. This thing that was hanging out of the fish has now vanished, most likley back inside my unfortunate fishy friend.

I take it these thinngs dont just go away?
I have raised the temp and am going to make some calls today to see what I can find.

A friend recomended "Sterazin" from a company called Waterlife.
Here are the details:

STERAZIN - parasiticide.

STERAZIN is used or the control of gill and body parasites which cause fish to flick when no symptoms are visible to the unaided eye. STERAZIN will also aid the control of internal parasites such as Round Worm, Thread Worm, and Intestinal Worm. In order to destroy the parasites in all stages of their life cycle you will need to use the product on days 1, 3, 6, 8 and 10. STERAZIN may also be used to aid the sterilisation of aquatic plants and is highly biodegradable.

Do not use when crustaceans, echinoderms, rays, seawater sharks, pirahna, sturgeon or sterlets and related species are present. In these instances use Waterlife PARAGON.

Suitable for seawater, tropical freshwater and coldwater aquaria.

Available in:
60ml (5 day course for 180 litres)
120ml (5 day course for 720 litres)
500ml (5 day course for 4560 litres)

Think this will do the trick guys?

Thanks again

~Rob

Jeff
08-17-2003, 11:42 AM
That I'm not sure about. We use prazi here. Prazi is a dog wormer also.

RobKenobi
08-17-2003, 12:04 PM
http://www.equi-store.co.uk/acatalog/Equi_store_Wormers_8.html

The above link has some Equitape Paste (active ingredient is Prazi)

How would I dose something like this? I wouldnt want to OD

Jeff
08-17-2003, 01:23 PM
That is a paste. I would not use it. Call a vet and ask for prazi.

Jeff
08-17-2003, 01:26 PM
Prazi is also known as droncit.

discus_nw
08-17-2003, 11:59 PM
I recommend prazi in the powder form as opposd to Droncit tablets.

Miles
08-18-2003, 01:53 AM
Rob,
Salt will not help your problem at all. Use PRAZI and then re treat in 7 days and that will clean them out.
As for hex: it is totally different the tapeworms. To treat for hex use Metro and raise temp. to 92 degrees for 10 do water changes every 8 hours for four treatments. Change 50% of the water each time and re-dose with Metro. I also use salt ( Non-idone) at 1 Tsp. per 10 gallons as that will help reduce the stress.

Good Luck & Enjoy

8)

RobKenobi
08-18-2003, 06:15 PM
hello again.

I picked up some Prazi today and will begin tratment shortly. It wasnt cheap, but that doesnt matter.

Jeff, I would just like to say thank you for helping me out. I know quite a bit about Discus, and their diseases/conditions but hve never encountered tapeorms before. Your advice, and indeed the advice of you all has been helpful.
Hoefully I will be able to help you guys out sometime in return :)

In the meantime, I am now a fully fledged new member and look forward to allot more (non emergency) posts in the future.

Regards,

~Rob

RobKenobi
08-22-2003, 03:26 PM
Ok, an update on this if you are interested.

Out of all the fish, it was only that one that passed worms. At one point I saw one that must have been 10" hanging out of the little guy.

I left the treatment in for 48 hours (it clouded the water a bit) and did a large water change. No worms in the last 12 or so hours, and all were dead when passed.

Anyway, it was Droncit Spot On that I used (wormer for cats, it's a liquid) and it cost £20 to treat my whole tank.

Thanks again

~Rob

brewmaster15
08-22-2003, 03:33 PM
Hi Rob,
glad to hear it all worked out. Some additional advice... repeat the treatment in a week or two...just to be safe.

-al

billydiscus
08-22-2003, 04:30 PM
how good is huey hung wormer all so in the uk