PDA

View Full Version : PLANTED DISCUS TANK

reef
08-16-2003, 11:51 PM
Got some old pics, some 4years old, to share.

crazy4discus
08-16-2003, 11:54 PM
good looking tank tell me how do you raise live plants? i want to know i want to raise live!!!!

reef
08-16-2003, 11:55 PM
Another...

reef
08-16-2003, 11:56 PM
Another

reef
08-16-2003, 11:58 PM
Yet another

reef
08-17-2003, 12:01 AM
My early attempt at planted tank.

reef
08-17-2003, 12:01 AM
Another one...

reef
08-17-2003, 12:02 AM
Another one...

reef
08-17-2003, 12:03 AM
Next...

reef
08-17-2003, 12:05 AM
My snakeskin pair which later end-up in the 2nd planted tank pic.

reef
08-17-2003, 12:13 AM
All the setups have long gone. My current setups consists of 4 bare tanks of various sizes for growing out discus and 2 planted tanks, one which houses my adults discus. Currently have no digicam, sold away the one I had to upgrade. Most of the discus sold/given away and some went to discus heaven. My snakeskin pair never spawn during my care but eventually did at the buyers place after I sold them.

crazy4discus, planted tank alone is a difficult hobby. Not discouraging ya, but needs a lot of reading up. Not many popular plant type can cope with the discus environment of 82-84c. So choosing plant types is already a tedious job to start with. BUT, the sight of a carefully and tedious cared for planted discustank is a sight to behold.

Abercrombie6202
08-18-2003, 04:17 PM
I personally think it's easy!!, all you need is some good light, subsrtae, and co2. I will have to show my planted tank when it's finished.
getting plants isn't hard either, i just go to my LFS and pick out a nice, plant i like. The plants are all doing fine in the 85 degrees water. Amazon swords, dwarf swords, hornwart (i think that's what they are called), java moss, java ferns, they all are flourishing in my tank, oh and not to forget anubias, and cabomba, which are 2 of my favorite types of plants, don't know why :)

Just make sure you have strong lighting, most of the plants i mentioned can even live in low lighting, java fern and java moss could pretty much live in anything, i've never had a amazon sword rot or die or anything, but cabomba needs good lighting, just do some research on planted tanks it's EASY, once you get the hang of it. Also you will need to buy a co2 injector or system, you can even make your own!! You might want to to buy flourite for a substrate. You can get root tabs or plant growth things to help the plants grow. IMO i think the ones that go in the roots are better than the liquid kind, but it's what ever you like better.

personally i LOVE planted tanks, it brings out the color in fish so much, i'll take pictures soon, so everyone can see!!