PDA

View Full Version : What is this on my fish?

chinoz
08-17-2003, 11:29 PM
My discus are having some kind of infection, might be fungus. but ive been treating them with salt and Furan 2. Some of them are better now and eat, but some still have white coating, darting around and scratching. Today I notice on some of the fish that their red vains on their body..I know this is not normal because when they are healthy i didnt see anything like it. Is this part of the fungus problem? can Furan 2 cure this? Anybody can help me understand this?

Thanh Ng.

chinoz
08-17-2003, 11:30 PM
Especially thier nose, its red now ::)

chinoz
one more

chinoz
last one..

Carol_Roberts
08-18-2003, 12:23 AM
I think you may need an internal antibiotic like kanacyn or maracyn two

chinoz
08-18-2003, 10:17 AM
will it be ok it i mix Maracyn 2 with Furan 2? all of my fish are still on Furan 2 though. I know there is a post about this problem before but i cant seem to find it. arrggg

brewmaster15
08-18-2003, 11:13 AM
Hi TNT,
I'd finish up the furan and let these fish rest for a a while. Those reddened areas may not be a problem that needs your help. Many PB based fish get a reddened a nasal area.... kind of like a common cold. Most seem to go away on their own. Just be sure your water is optimum quality.

The red margins at the fins... is your tank water above 88-90F. That red margin is a blood vessel. They can become dialated for various reasons..bacteria, stress, high temps. The fins look fine... no rot...usually if the red vessels were from and infection it would be evident by some fin erosions.

hth,
al

chinoz
08-18-2003, 02:51 PM
Hey Al,

thanks for your message, my temp is at 84 now, i have been treating them with this temp. So far of them are getting better, but 6-7 of them are still hiding, dark color, white coating, not eating. I have been doing 2 50% w/c everyday since last thursday. I know im suppose to double dose Furan 2 but where i live, Furan 2 is hard to find. Im waiting for my order from bigalsonline.com to come hopefully this thursday.

Is there anything else i should do? besideds w/c and salt % Furan 2? i already lost 4 of them. :-[ :-[ :-[

brewmaster15
08-18-2003, 03:12 PM
Hi TNT,

Did you get your fish at the ACA? what you have may not be the same.

The red margins and the white coating is not necessarily the same illness.
questions..
what conc salt? and if you are doing 2 50% wc a day , are you replacing the salt and meds? 50 % wc a day, followed by medication and salt would be fine, IMO.

-al

chinoz
08-18-2003, 03:47 PM
Al,

all of my fish were fine until i add two new discus in without QT. Stupid me huh? but anyway, they starting having problems ever since. Problems started last thursday. Im adding 4 tablespoon of non-iodine salt per 5 gal. I also replace the salt and Furan 2 oh every water change. I get so discourage when i see them died. im just so paranoid, i dotn want them all to die thats all. Please help.

Thanh Ng.