PDA

View Full Version : Price difference

aix
08-18-2003, 05:55 AM
Why do 3'' discus cost twice the price as 2,5'' ? Perhaps it is so just with our supplier. But does this extra 0,5'' take so much effort?

DarkDiscus
08-18-2003, 02:55 PM
Seems odd to me as well. Obviously the larger the fish, the more time is spent and the more they will cost, but double the cost from 2.5" to 3" seems a bit overinflated.

John

Willie
08-18-2003, 09:47 PM
Quite often, you'll see far more development at 3". For example, you can buy golden discus real cheap when they're small. As they grow, patterns develop and not every fish is going to be beautiful. It may well be, in your case, that the 3" fish has been selected for rapid growth and good coloration.

Willie

aix
08-21-2003, 09:28 AM
What would you think about the price level in Estonia. 2,5'' Red Turquise, Blue Turquise about 18 euros (ca 20 USD) and 3'' about 38 euros (ca 42 USD). Is the price level OK or too high? The fish for such price look good, start eating pretty soon and have no problems with high pH.

DarkDiscus
08-21-2003, 09:41 AM
My personal choice in that situation is to get 6-8 good 2.5" fish and grow them out. You will end up with some nice ones I am sure and pay a lot less.

John

aix
08-21-2003, 09:54 AM
Once again I think the same. But I am more interested in price comparison with US for example to see whether we are being mocked. What would such fish cost in your country?

Carol_Roberts
08-21-2003, 02:09 PM
My local fish store sells 2 1/2 inch discus for $30.00. Larger discus - say 4 inches and above sell for $90

aix
08-22-2003, 03:09 AM
Thanks, Carol for this information.

April
08-22-2003, 03:35 AM
Hi. i think that sounds fairly reasonable for a blue turq.
their usually a bit lower priced.as not a newer strain.
those prices sound quite good to me...
how do you feel about being able to grow out the tinier ones? if your not too sure on your discus rasing skills yet.the 3 inch ones are a bit easier id say . well on their way.
depends on you really.i enjoy getting tiny and watching them grow..but the 3 inch you are less likely to get some that just wont grow for you.

aix
08-22-2003, 03:46 AM
Hi April,

the problem is that I have many hobbies, most important of them aquaristics, speed skating, music. They all take a lot of time (and money which has to be earned) and girlfriend also needs some attention ;) And in addition I have some nitrit in my tap water which makes it impossible to make big w/c without treatment. So if you consider all this you can probably understand why I always choose easy way out and buy bigger fish if possible. Perhaps in the future I will get into breeding discus since estonian aquaristic hobby is getting bigger every day.

thanks for your thoughts, April!

April
08-22-2003, 05:02 AM
then by all means get the bigger ones. yes if you have to treat the water....then you need more water storage to do bigger changes.
let us know how you do on your fishies.
hope the discus hobby/addiction takes over some of your other hobby time slots in the end. lol.

aix
08-22-2003, 10:17 AM
let us know how you do on your fishies.
hope the discus hobby/addiction takes over some of your other hobby time slots in the end. lol.

Not sure if that can happen since without heavy training I can't be fit to work hard and music...Well, nobody can live without it. Other people who have guitars hanging on the wall, piano in the middle of the room etc know that one can not just look at them. One has to play.