PDA

View Full Version : Help .... RO for dummy

ping
08-22-2003, 07:07 AM
Hi guys,

Sorry for asking so many questions. I am totally lost with this RO stuff.

- What is the difference with RO system with a small tank and without ?
I went to friend's shop and he said that they are not selling RO system, only sells UF
membrance unit. But to me, it's the same stuff, just RO has a small water tank.
The stuff that he sells is the same with the one that RandalB posted (the pictures)
(no small tank).
- Difference bettween 4 stage or 5 stage ? which one that my discus ( ;D) need ?
- Shop owner told me that i might need a pump for the RO system (with a small tank)
If i use UF membrance unit, i dont have to use pump.
Is this correct ?
- The RO with a small tank can produce low TDS reading (ppm). It can get close to zero ppm.
But it wastes the water, since to produce 10 litres of RO water, i have to use 20-30 litres of
tap water. Is this correct ?
- What is the TDS reading for growing discus baby ? My tds reading is 450. :(
- Does discus breed better in lower ppm ?

I am really sorry for asking these questions. I am thinking of buying RO next month.
I have a special price from someone that i helped last month.

For the RO system, 4 stages - 50GPD - for A$235 (US$150)
RO system 5 stages - 50GPD - A$260 (US$169)
Those RO system comes with a mini tank.

Regards,
Ronny

RandalB
08-22-2003, 04:06 PM
Ping, In answer to your post:

Sorry for asking so many questions. I am totally lost with this RO stuff. <--That's what Simply's here for! ;)

- What is the difference with RO system with a small tank and without ?
The small tank is an accumulator pressure tank for water storage. It should also come with a faucet and is used for storing drinking water. The main difference is that one has a storage tank and one doesn't

I went to friend's shop and he said that they are not selling RO system, only sells UF
membrance unit. But to me, it's the same stuff, just RO has a small water tank.
By UF I assume that you mean Ultra Filtration. They are very different even though they look the same. UF consists of Submicron mechanical filtration, some type of deionization media and activated carbon. They are very prone to clogging quickly and are not very cost efficient. They will remove most sediment, chlorine and bacteria from your tap water with no waste. They are not very efficient when it comes to softening water and require frequent media changes.RO on the other hand, pushes water through a membrane following the prefiltration and removes almost all ionic content from the water producing almost pure water. It could also be Nanofiltration which is similar to RO but not as effective but I doubt it.

The stuff that he sells is the same with the one that RandalB posted (the pictures)
It might look the same, but it's definately different.

- Difference bettween 4 stage or 5 stage ? which one that my discus ( ) need ?
Either one is fine for the discus, and I can't tell which one would be better for drinking water w/o knowing what the stages are

- Shop owner told me that i might need a pump for the RO system (with a small tank)
You only NEED a booster pump if your tap water is below 30 PSI. It's nice to have under other conditions but not necessary

If i use UF membrance unit, i dont have to use pump.
Is this correct ?
Most Likely, but see above

- The RO with a small tank can produce low TDS reading (ppm). It can get close to zero ppm.
But it wastes the water, since to produce 10 litres of RO water, i have to use 20-30 litres of
tap water. Is this correct ?
That is correct, but take into consideration the cost of replacement media for the UF and the initial cost of the unit. It sounds like someone is trying to sell you something to me. It will also not produce the 5000 Gallons they say before it clogs up. What's the price of the UF unit compared to the RO?

- What is the TDS reading for growing discus baby ? My tds reading is 450.
450 should be fine for growing up babies IMO

- Does discus breed better in lower ppm ?
They get better hatch rates depending on the mineral content of your water

I am really sorry for asking these questions. I am thinking of buying RO next month.
I have a special price from someone that i helped last month.
Go ahead and ask any questions you might have. No one will taunt,flame or abuse you here. That's what Simply's all about

For the RO system, 4 stages - 50GPD - for A$235 (US$150)
RO system 5 stages - 50GPD - A$260 (US$169)
Those RO system comes with a mini tank.
That's pretty good pricing, especially for Australia. Get the RO unit you'll be better off in the long run

HTH,
RandalB

allan_mark76
08-22-2003, 06:55 PM
Randal strikes again....good job ;D

ping
08-23-2003, 12:20 AM
Thanks for the answers Randal.
I am feeling better now. :)
You are right. It is Ultra Filtration :) ...
RO costs more actually. Suppose to be around A$400-500.
I just need to pay for A$265+postage cost(wont be much) as i helped him before :) ;D

Allan: yeah, he strikes again. :)

Regards,
Ronny