PDA

View Full Version : Multi strains?

Discus-n00b
08-23-2003, 09:46 PM
I am going to get 6 discus about 2-3" for my 55gal bare bottem soon and was wondering.....

Would it be better to get all 1 strain? Or multistrains to make the tank give off a little more color?......i would like to breed them eventually but would just like to keep them first.

crazy4discus
08-23-2003, 10:09 PM
get multi strains it will look better

Abercrombie6202
08-23-2003, 10:21 PM
Depends!! If you want pure Strains then get all one strain, if you want combinations get all different strains!!

personally i like multi-strains. When i get discus i will have about 8 discus, so there will be 4 different strains, two of each strain!!

RichardP
08-23-2003, 10:22 PM
hiya,

If your going to end up breeding them i suggest you buy 6 of the same strain since you will get more pairs from there which will not cross breed and turn out funny

cheers
Richard

Discus-n00b
08-23-2003, 10:32 PM
I think i will go multi strain. I will deal with breeding when the time comes along. First i have to master the art of keeping discus, then i can move to breeding them. :D

Thanx everybody!

Carol_Roberts
08-23-2003, 11:50 PM
Six of the same strain makes a nice showing in your tank too. Another plus is they have all grown up together so the pecking order is already established.

barron
08-25-2003, 04:24 AM
Hi

I agree the same.

Or two that cross well. Like Red Marlboro/ Red Melon or R.S.G./Red turq. You do not want a tank full of culls.

Barron :)

Mykiss
08-29-2003, 03:25 AM
Hi, I would agree with you about getting multi breeds, however, Carol is right. They will have their pecking order set.
Myself, I would go for the multi pack especially if you are just starting. It adds variety. And anyways, if you bought all the same breed, then when you see all the other breeds, it will tempt you to just buy more other ones and then it will go out of hand and soon you'll have 12 tanks full of discus. Take it from me, it can go way out of hand. So if you start with a mixture, it should keep you satisfied for a while. By the way, are they all the same size? I think it is best to buy fish in the same size range if you plan to put them all in one tank. If not, then the little ones will get bullied right away, however, eventually I think some one will get picked on. cheers
PT

Willie
09-01-2003, 11:31 AM
Make sure you're buying from the same breeder. Discus from different sources MUST be quarantined separately.

Willie

Carol_Roberts
09-01-2003, 06:43 PM
Thank you Willie for adding about seperate quarantine of discus from different sources.

Buy from one source at a time. Quarantine for 4 - 6 weeks.