PDA

View Full Version : Tank Volume question

RandalB
08-23-2003, 11:48 PM
Hi all,

I picked up a tank this AM from Jeff@Discusfarm.us. He left it here when he relocated to CA. Jeff generously gave it to me. I have a question though. It's a very odd size tank, one I've never seen before. The Tank Measures 36x24x36 LxWxH. I know there are a couple of methods for determining volume, lXWXH /231 and LxWxH * 0.00431 are the two I used. Is this correct? If so is the tank volume 130 Gallons or am I mistaken? Someone please post the correct method for determining the proper Volume of this monster tank! (On the Stand it's over 5'5" tall!)

Thanks again Jeff and all!
RandalB

Now all I have to do is find a canopy for it...

oodi
08-23-2003, 11:51 PM
Hi Randal,

Try this link... it does the math.

http://www.unitsconverter.net/

Judi
:)

RandalB
08-23-2003, 11:56 PM
Well That's just nifty...

Looks like a 130 XH it is..

Anyone know where I can get a 36x24 Wood Canopy? I already have to go to the glass shop for some 18x24" Glass to make a versatop...

RandalB

discuskrib
08-24-2003, 10:16 PM
RandallB - are you sure you want to go with all glass for the canopy? i'd think i'd go with plexiglass if i were in your shoes. the glass could be pretty heavy, though not nearly as bad as the rest of the tank. that and at that size i'd be worried about it cracking and falling in the tank, no matter how unlikely.

RandalB
08-24-2003, 10:46 PM
Krib,
It's actually fairly small pieces of glass. The tank has a center divider on the 18" mark. The glass is smaller than the 24x18" Versatops I use on the 55's. It breaks it breaks.

The plexi that's commonly available around here tends to sag. So I think it'll be glass or no tops at all, just a wood canopy. I'm trying to figure out if it will be a Planted or BB tank right now. 36" is pretty deep for lighting...

RandalB