PDA

View Full Version : tapwater

alsbeth
08-26-2003, 04:41 AM
Hi, i have just tested my tapwater and it seems very strange,it has a ph of 7.9,but the KH is less than 1 degree and conductivty is 150 ms.So soft water ,but how can they get such a high ph level without no sign or very little Kh levels ? cheers Alsbeth

barron
08-26-2003, 06:32 AM
Hi

More then likely lime is added, then the water is put in a clarifier to settle out solids and then it passes through sand filters. before cl2 is added. Now some plants are using U.V. and some use both U.V. and cl2.

I use to work in a Water and Wastewater Treatment.

That is how we did it.

However that is low, I would call the Plant and ask if they soften the water. Most do not it is very costly.

Lime does soften the water, but it would take alot to get those numbers.

Let it sit for a few day and see if the ph crashes.

Barron :)

CARY_GLdiscus
08-26-2003, 09:07 AM
well said barron ;D

Paulio
08-26-2003, 12:41 PM
Also check your phosphate levels. Might give you a higher pH reading with low kh. That was the case in my tap. When the plants ate up the phosphates the pH dropped dramaticaly.

Paul

08-26-2003, 01:28 PM
Hi all,

Barron, what would you recommend if the water is treated as you described and the pH from tap is 9.6 and after 48 hrs of ageing with air and if necessary heat the pH is at 8 + ?
Also a KH of 1 dKH and a GH of 2-3 dGH is present.

Ronald

alsbeth
08-27-2003, 03:36 PM
Hi there, thanks for the replies,as Paulio suggests my tapwater is very high in phosphates and has just about zero nitrates,is the phosphate added at the plant for some reason ? cheers Alsbeth

barron
08-27-2003, 05:17 PM
Hi

The P04 is not added at the plant it comes from ground water, some lakes as well.

Ronald.

Your water is very soft. A bit softer then I like.

As for what I would with those numbers.

I would look at a well.

To mess with it is a full time job. I think it would be to much up and down.

Adding calcium and magnesium in a 3:1 ratio would increase the Gh. But not the kh. Bicarbs will increase the kh.

The formula for hardness is.

Hardness, mg equivalent/L CaCO3 = ([Ca, mg/l]*2.497) + ([Mg, mg/l]*4.116)

Raising the gh only, should work to hold the ph.

I would try that.

Or adding
4 grams of calcium carbonate to 50 liters of water will increase both KH and GH by 4 degrees.

But if the ph maintains stable with water changes, leave it alone.

Barron :)

08-27-2003, 09:20 PM
Thanks for the info Barron,

I have figuered it out for me and just wanted to hear your take on it.

Thanks
Ronald :)