PDA

View Full Version : Co2 Homebrew

luke_potts
08-26-2003, 04:44 AM
hi all,

iwas just wondering if anyone has made homebrew Co2, i would like to know what you have used and what has worked

cheers
luke

ronrca
08-26-2003, 10:34 AM
I use to use diy c02 with sugar and yeast! I switched to C02 injection instead because I can get a steady injection rate and it lasts a lot longer. I was replacing the mixture every 3-4 days. Mind you, Im was using it on a 90G tank.

Paulio
08-26-2003, 10:40 AM
Luke,

What size tank are you working with? You may need to run more than one bottle if over 55 gallons. A good reactor goes a long long way with DIY co2. Lots of plans on the net for these. Here is a link to a simple one that works great.

http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/diy_reactor.htm

Paul

ping
08-26-2003, 12:21 PM
Hi Luke,

I used to use DIY CO2 with sugar and yeast as well. The tank was 29gallon (2 by 18 by 18). It works fine but only last for 1-1.5 week. If you use it in bigger tank, you might have need more diy co2.

Pressurized CO2 will be a better way if u have big tank and it gives you constant co2 injection.

If you need more information .. search on google with "diy co2" as keywords. There are lots of information.

Here is the co2 diy with picture :
http://fish.orbust.net/carbondioxide.html

Regards,
Ronny

Paulio
08-26-2003, 12:36 PM
I advise against using a fitting on your bottle at all. Just punch a hole slighlty smaller than your line. Force the line through it so it fills the gaps. You want to do this because if your line becomes plugged your bottle will burst sending 2 liters of simple syrup all over the place if you have a fitting. The way I do it hopefully it will blow the pressure out around the line or even eject the line to release instead. Also I sugest making a home made bubble counter type deal. Not so much for counting bubbles but to avoid the fungus that grows on the end of the line from entering your tank.

hth
Paul

Emanuel
08-26-2003, 01:21 PM
In my experience, the best results were obtained when I changed the type of yeast I used. Most people think that "yeast is yeast" but that's false. What you need is yeast that can tolerate high amounts of ethanol, which is a major product of fermentation. Regular baker's yeast is not selected for that ability. A brewer's yeast is better than baker's yeast but wine yeast is the best. I found at a homebrewery store a type of wine yeast (called Premier Cuvee) that can tolerate up to 18% EtOH and can easily last for several weeks. Also, I would strongly recommend a check valve, a bubble counter and CO2-resistant (ozone-safe) tubing. Good luck!

brewmaster15
08-26-2003, 03:53 PM
I went with a 5 gal pail, filled with malted barley, and heavenly chinook or cascade hops. Pitch in some high quality ale yeast, and let ferment for about 2 weeks worth of co2 and about 46 each - 12 oz ales to drink!

The whole set up will cost about $25-50 for equipment, and will make you 2 cases of ale or lager for about $20.00 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

-al

oh....I'd also add an airline to the air lock used on the brewers pail, and run this to your tank so the plants can share.

Paulio
08-26-2003, 04:23 PM
Al,

Double duty! I love it ;D

paul

luke_potts
08-26-2003, 05:05 PM
Thanks for all your replies and ideas

al, i like the idea of a double using co2 from the homebrew ;D :o

guys i am investing in a presurized co2 system soon (about 2 weeks) but i just need to find where in Aus. i can get a good regulator and needle valve. Atm i just wanted to have a "quick fix" for the system i already have, which is the sugar and yeast sysytem that i need to get from lfs in melbourne, which is 3 hrs away.

thanks again
Luke

Paulio
08-27-2003, 02:52 AM
Luke,

Check out welding supply and beverage distributors for your regulator. A bit cheaper than those marketed for aquarium use at least in the states any way.

Paul

luke_potts
08-27-2003, 10:04 AM
hey guys i have sort of answered my own question here
i have found this fantastic link
anyone who is considering diy homebrew should check it out. :o ::) :o ::)

http://www.qsl.net/w2wdx/aquaria/diyco2.html#2

Cheers
Luke

nokoto
01-20-2004, 07:45 PM
Hi peeps it's one of the toy's I would like to add to my list...

Though the home made options are not so cosmedic are they...

There is no home way to refill a Co2 bottle is there?

Just a thought, or have I missed the plot completely

Cheers

Wayne