PDA

View Full Version : Red Wigglers...

Pages : [1] 2

jeep
08-26-2003, 05:58 PM
Does anybody feed them to their fish?

I bought 1lb last week. At first my fish didn't really know what to think, but now they love them. And from what I understand, they are very nutritious. Since they are very efficient composters I would think you could fortify their food with vitamins and minerals, which would be passed along to your fish.

The best thing is the price. Once you buy the initial batch, they reproduce so fast you'll never have to make another purchase.

Brian

08-26-2003, 08:05 PM
If you feed very many of them, you're going to find that they don't reproduce quickly enough to never buy anymore....of course, it helps if the supplier actualy sends you what you pay for instead of ripping you off... :banghead:
david

08-26-2003, 11:34 PM
Start a new culture after a month and keep 2-3 bins going. I feed over 200 fish twice a week with 3 bins going. The biggest enemy is fruit fry. It had caused many hobbyists give up wrigglers. Learn how to avoid and get rid of them. It will be the best investment you have ever made. it was my best $15 investment 15 years ago.
Jimmy.

brewmaster15
08-26-2003, 11:44 PM
Jimmy,
have you tried to hang "no pest strips" near the culture This is a non-liquid pesticide that really works well. I use it in my snake cages to kill mites. its a strip of material that gives off a vapor... and the material is very cutable,..

http://www.cornerhardware.com/productdisplay.pl?item_id=225462&AID=10283904&PID= 714502&SID=203192

http://www.walgreens.com/store/product.jhtml?PRODID=3959&CATID=100531

hth,
al

Paulio
08-26-2003, 11:45 PM
Definately thin them out. I toss adults outside when there get to be too many of them. I havent had to buy any in over a year now. I feed them corn meal, fruit scraps and the left over flake foods the Discus didnt like ;D

jeep
08-27-2003, 10:50 AM
Did you guys replace the bedding when you got them? If so, what do you use for new bedding?

The Dan at Kazarie Worm Farm did tell me to make sure I bury the food in order to minimize the attraction to fly's, but I have noticed some buzzing around.

How often do you feed them?

Brian

08-27-2003, 11:04 AM
The problems are the fruit fry eggs attached on the skin of fruits and vegetables that hatch and swarm whenever you open the lid. They in turn laying eggs and the problem will never end. It's very annoying to live with fruit fries on your dinner table constantly. Most hobbyists just discard the whole culture and never keep wrigglers again. I have the solution for that problem and just to see if anyone has a better one.
I use a vacuum cleaner with a nylon stocking inserted into the pipe to collect fruit fry to feed the tree frogs and lizaard. Discus love them too. You partially open the lid and insert the nozzle in the bin and run it for a couple of minutes before fully open and harvest your worms. Keep doing it for a week and all fruit fries will be gone and your spouse will not complain the fruit fies keeping the familiy company anymore.
Jimmy.

tony1313
08-27-2003, 12:17 PM
Has anyone considered keeping his or her bins refrigerated? I am pretty sure that this would keep the hatching of the fruit flies to a minimum. I'm not sure what it will do to the reproduction of the worms though.

Just a thought,
Tony

jeep
08-27-2003, 12:24 PM
The worms will basically go into hybernation and not reproduce. Not a bad thing for a culture you are harvesting from or if youget too many worms going. Maybe rotate several cultures in and out of the fridge.

I wonder if you don't feed fruits if the flys would still show up, or are they attracted to the worm waste?

Mr. Limpet
08-27-2003, 06:03 PM
I have a 3 tier bin and I love it. I keep it in the garage. In the winter, they slow down a lot, but during the summer I have to feed them a lot. I use shredded newspaper for the bedding, works great and they eat that too. The fish love them, although I haven't been feeding the Discus with them lately. I am an avid recycler, so this fits right into the mix. It's been going strong for 3 years now, and the castings and tea are great for the house plants and garden.
Jimmy, that is a great idea with the vacuum cleaner for the fruit fly's. I once got these huge larvae in there, I figured they must have been horse fly's or something. I threw a fresh batch of bedding on top, and was afraid to open it. But the never did mature, just faded into mix. Paul.

lwarctic
08-28-2003, 12:44 AM
Who knows of a good inexpensive source to get a start of Red Wigglers? I would like to try some. Thanks

Les

:) :) :)

jeep
08-28-2003, 09:13 AM
http://www.kazarie.com/

About $21 for 1lb of worms. If you treat them right, you should have an endless supply.

Brian

O
08-28-2003, 01:16 PM
http://www.ctvalley.com/ $ 15.95 per pound.

O.

O
08-28-2003, 01:19 PM
Here's a tip on the fruit flies from CT Valley Worm Farm web site

'Hint for getting rid of fruit flies: The "Fruit Flies" that can occasionally get into your worm bin are actually vinegar flies (Drosophila). They are attracted to acidic materials in the bin. Put a small jar with about an inch of vinegar or flat beer in the corner of the bin, being careful not to spill it. The flies will land in it and drown. Burying the food waste slightly below the surface of the bedding will help keep the flies from being attracted to the bin in the first place and it will slow down their reproductive rate if they do get in there. I avoid adding extremely acidic materials like rotten tomatoes to an indoor bin.
It is a good idea to begin the process of decomposition of your food waste before adding it to the bin to make it easier for the worms to help break down. Food scrapes that are stored in a container should have air flowing into it but the vent holes need to be small like a window screen to keep unwanted pests out.
Some people avoid the problem by keeping their excess food scrapes in the refrigerator or freezer."

trucdan
08-28-2003, 02:28 PM
Hi all,
Is Red wigglers and Red worm the same? Does anyboby here know the scientific name of the Red wigglers? Is it called eisenia fetida?

Thanks.

Td

O
08-28-2003, 03:54 PM
Yes they are. Red Worms - Eisenia fetida
European Nightcrawler - Eisenia hortensis

HTH.
O.

trucdan
08-28-2003, 04:46 PM
Hi O.
Thanks for the name's clarification.

I heard that Red worms are about 2"-3" long. Will discus be
able to eat such a long worm? Or you only feed the young ones
to discus?

Thanks.

Td

jeep
08-28-2003, 07:24 PM
Even though they will struggle to eat the medium sized worms, I cut the worms in 2 or 3 pieces to make it easier for them to eat.

Reminds me of when I was a kid :P

Brian

lwarctic
08-28-2003, 11:46 PM
I just wanted everyone to know that I placed an order today for some red worms. I checked out some different places. Some sold worms including shipping and some did not. You have to be careful. I ordered some from kazarie.com. I spoke to the owner, and was very impressed. I would recommend this place to anyone interested in getting some worms. Very helpful and knowledgeable. I told him he needed to sign up with Simply and help us as hobbiest get the most out of red wigglers. He has a special going on right now 2lbs of worms for 34.95, including shipping. That's 2 lbs of worms, not 2 lbs of worms and dirt. He weighs the worms first then adds the compost to ship. I'm excited to get them and start a little worm farm to feed my fish. I hope they do as well as my white worms. My discus loves them.

Thanks for everyones comments,

Les

:D :D :D :D

Emanuel
08-29-2003, 01:29 AM
Here is a link with red wiggler farms: http://www.wormdigest.org/article_122.html

Mykiss
08-29-2003, 03:58 PM
I have never fed red wriglers to my fish, but by the sounds of it...I should. SO how do you people feed it to your fish? Do you just rinse the dirt off and throw in the tank? or do you have to rinse and then squeze the dirt in them out before feeding? thanks
PT

Paulio
08-30-2003, 12:38 AM
I rinse em off and toss them in. No troubles in a year ;D
I feed only the small bite size ones. I used to toss mid size ones in with adult wilds and they would get together three on a worm until it was torn apart. It was both messy and brought about some seious aggression issue's. an easy way to rinse them is to grab a handfull of compost and worms and put it in one end of a dish. Place the dish at an angle so the worms are in the lower part and cover them with water. They will crawl out of the water (and dirt) to the higher part of the dish. Then you can just grab and toss.

Paul

knobby
08-30-2003, 09:32 AM
How big is a redworm compared to a whiteworm?

grindals are smaller than whites right?

whites are smaller than reds?

How do the reds compare to the blacks?

knobby
09-05-2003, 09:41 AM
I noticed on the redworm sites that they say to not feed meat scraps/leftovers but none of them really say why... anyone know does it harm the worms?

Has anyone ever tried feeding the worms with dry dog/cat food?

Discus are carnivores...and it would seem to me that worms fed with 'carnivore food' such as dog food would be even more nutritious for discus....

09-05-2003, 11:23 AM
Interesting no body ever asked that question. Knobby. I don't see a mouth and teeth from the worm. How do they eat the veggies anyway?. I think they secrete some enzyme to dissolve the veggie matters and suck the fluid in. Meat will be too hard to digest and spoiled easily. Some harder stems needs some white mites to predigest or soften it before the worms can consume it. Without those white mites. It seems to take forever for them to eat the carrots. Sometimes I put leftover Pizza with Pepperoni attach with it. They all disappear without a trace. O wonder if I have some meat eating mutant monster worms in there too. They may come out at night and attack human. ;D
Jimmy

O
09-05-2003, 11:24 AM
I think that's not part of their natural diet. Meat products will spoil within hours and resulting bacterial bloom will quickly kill the worms. Not to mention the smell :puke: and deadly bacteria that could be passed on to discus.

O.

daninthesand
09-05-2003, 11:27 AM
I'm pretty sure the biggest reason they say not to feed meat (and dairy) products to the worms is that the compost bin will smell really bad if you do. I tried it just to see what would happen and that bin ended up outside, tossed in the garbage! pee yew!

Daniel

O
09-05-2003, 11:39 AM
IMO, it is possible to up the nutritional value of red worms by feeding them cornmeal enriched with vitmains & trace elements. You can get those in powder from in any Health Food store. Through their digestion, worms convert ecential trace elements(cobalt, copper, iodine, iron, manganese, molybdenum, selenium, and zinc) that are typically not available in water soluble form, into soluble form making them either to digest by fish & plants.

HTH,
O.

Mr. Limpet
09-05-2003, 08:29 PM
Here is a great reference for those who want to keep red wigglers:
"Worms Eat My Garbage" Mary Applehof, Flower Press, 2nd edition, 1997,
ISBN 0-942256-10-7, Available at Amazon.com paperback, around $8. Well worth it. Paul.

jeep
09-06-2003, 08:32 PM
Does anyone know if there's a risk of introducing parasites when feeding these types of worms?

Brian

Paulio
09-06-2003, 11:53 PM
Jeep,

Been feeding them for a year now. I dont purge or anything. Just rinse and toss em in. I would have to say that I have had no increase in incident of health problems feeding them. I think less truly.

Paul

knobby
09-09-2003, 08:53 PM
I read on the websites that these guys will consume their own weight in food every other day....is that true?

you guys that have been keeping them awhile....how much do you actually feed them?

knobby
09-19-2003, 10:44 AM
no replies eh lol
ya mean the redworm thread has died? lol

I bought 2lbs
will they actually eat 2lbs of food every other day or am I gunna end up with a rotten mess if I put that much food in? lol

jeep
09-19-2003, 10:57 AM
They eat their weight every day? LOL... Maybe that's why mine died.

I'm getting ready to order another batch soon. Surely, if I can keep discus alive then I can keep worms alive :-X

jeep
10-20-2003, 03:13 PM
I ordered another batch of Red Wigglers from Dan at Kazarie last night. I asked him how much they eat and he said about 1/2 their weight every day. I had no idea they ate so much.

The food, of course, can be almost anything that will decompose. The things to avoid are meat and dairy products...

Hopefully I can take better care of them this time around. My fish sure love them!!!

Another question I have is if regular shredded paper is ok for these worms. I always shred things like bank statements and credit card offers in my shredder. Is there something that could be passed on to the fish by using these other types of paper?

Brian

Worm Woman
10-20-2003, 04:26 PM
Most paper products are fine. Stay away from glossy paper (from magazines). The worms have an incredible capacity to remove toxins from the material they consume. It's doubtful that any harm would come to the fish due to the shredded paper.
Cathy

jeep
10-20-2003, 04:47 PM
Thanks Cathy...

I like your web site. Very informative... Is there any more information you can provide to insure a thriving culture?

Brian

Worm Woman
10-20-2003, 05:11 PM
Thanks Brian,

There are 3 key elements for successful vermicomposting:
temperature, air circulation and moisture content.

The ideal temperature is 60-80 F. The worms will survive between 40-90 F, but at the extreme temps, they are just surviving and not eating 1/2 their weight and reproducing at the phenomenal rate that they do.

The bin will require air holes to provide air circulation. No worries about the worms crawling out of the bin 'cause if they do, they'll die as it is not moist enough outside the bin. Vermicomposting is an aerobic process which is why it does not smell. Bad odours are an indication of anaerobic conditions which, if not fixed, will cause harm to the squirm.

The bedding should be the consistency of a wrung out sponge - better too wet than too dry. The worms are about 90% water so require a fairly moist environment.

The worms will live in almost any container. If the main reason is to provide Discus food, I suggest a plastic bin as it retains the moisture better. With a wooden container, the moisture content needs to be monitored. I have both plastic and wooden bins on the go. I get far more worms in the plastic bins, but much better castings in the wooden bins.

When adding water to a worm bin, use a spray bottle.

Please advise if you have specific questions.

Cathy

ronrca
10-28-2003, 01:21 PM
I love this thread! Thank you for providing such good information!

Because my 'fish room' is located upstairs in our spare bedroom, my wife will not allow any sort of worms except frozen in our house which is understandable. However, come spring, Im moving the 'fish room' downstairs which will open the door from many good things, one being live worms. Thank you Cathy for pointing out that the worms can not live outside the enclosure. A very good argument! So once I actually get setup, I guess that red worms will be also part of the fish room! ;D

One simple question though. Can you buy red worms anywhere like local gardening stores and the like? Is it perhaps better to order from a known place that has been tested and tried on discus?

How do you weigh your food? If you order 1lb of worms, how do you tell how much 1/2lb of food is per day? Can you thru in more food like 2lbs and dont have to worry about feeding for 4 days then?

One more question! How do red worms compare with black worms?
Advantages/disadvantages between red and black worms?

Thanks!

Another good reason for red worms is RECYCLE! ;) Waste feeding worms, worms feeding discus, discus growing, discus breeding, discus sold, money in pocket for more discus and paying water bills! ;D O yea! Less garbage to carry out!

Barry
10-28-2003, 03:43 PM
For all the Canadian members I've ordered red wigglers from Worm Woman ( Cathy'd Composters ) and received quick excellent service and it's nice to order right here in Canada, save's all the border headaches. If you need worns give her a call she is very helpful.

10-28-2003, 03:56 PM
It's good Cathy is able to participate in this forum. I have 2 questions for you Cathy.
1. Let me hear how you avoid getting fruit fry in your bin? How do you get rid of them?
2. I often found red wrigglers hiding underneath driftwood for weeks. How do they breathe under water?
Thanks
Jimmy.

jeep
10-28-2003, 04:16 PM
One interesting thing... When I got my new ones, I had had big bunch of left-over salad (about 1/2lb) in my fridge. I burried the salad in the bin and it was gone in about 1 1/2 days. I saw a mushroom on top of the soil actually moving, so I picked it up and saw about 8 or 9 worm heads reaching up out of the bedding. A feeding frenzy of sorts.

When I ordered 2lbs of worms, Dan also included 2lbs of worm food. I've been giving them so much of my left-over foods and veggies that I haven't even given them the food Dan gave me.

So far, my "squirm" of worms seems very content :)

Brian

Worm Woman
10-28-2003, 05:05 PM
Thank you for all the great comments and warm welcome.

I'm happy to talk about worms.

To avoid fruit flies, the best advice is to bury the food scraps under the bedding. Every other week or so add some dry shredded newspaper on top. This will help absorb excess moisture as well as additional barrier from fruit flies. (They're crafty!)

If you get fruit flies, vacuum works best. There is an earlier entry that describes a perfect method. Fly paper works or a fly trap as well.

It is difficult for me to avoid fruit flies as I am always digging in my bins picking worms. Food bits are inevitably left on top. My fruit fly population is kept in check by spiders and a cat (who I imagine keeps the spiders in check).

I don't know about the drift wood and worms breathing under water. Perhaps they crawl into a gap and feed on the rotting wood. Just a guess.

There are several worm suppliers. Just ask for red wigglers. Not many garden stores keep worms. Try bait dealers. Make sure it is a reputable dealer, eg. you get the amount of worms you pay for. Worms ship very nicely so if there is not a worm supplier close to you, no problem to have them shipped.

About feeding the worms, keep a container (eg. ice cream pail) with a lid under the sink to collect the scraps. Feed the worms when the container is almost full. The worms prefer decomposed matter. Before feeding each time, check where you last fed them to ensure the worms are getting through it. If not, wait a day or 2. The worms are very forgiving. They do not need to be fed on a strict schedule.

Don't forget to chop up the food.

You will learn how much your worms can consume. Once they get adjusted to the new environment, they will increase in number, the volume of food can be increased over time.

I do not know about black worms.

Hope that helps.

Cathy

gary1218
10-28-2003, 06:53 PM
GREAT talk about raising the worms but my question has always been how do you EASILY get a QUANTITY of worms out of the bedding to feed every day? It's no problem if you're feeding just a few discus but how can you do it on a larger scale?

GARY

Paulio
10-28-2003, 08:36 PM
Gary,

I look at it this way. What you save in money with worms you make for in labor. If you come up with an answer to this let me know. Right now I pick them out with a 10" tweezer and rinse under gentle running water. Takes about an hour to get enough for a feed for all the fish. I do this 2 or 3 times a week.

Paul

daninthesand
10-28-2003, 11:28 PM
if you place a piece of fruit like a half apple on the surface of the "mud" (and no other food in the bin) the worms will collect there and all you have to do is lift the apple and scoop out dozens of worms. Having two or more bins makes this more effective, depending on how may worms you need. Harvest from under the apple from bin 1, then do bin 2 next time and so on untill you get back to bin number 1. Its best to not otherwise disturb the bin contents except for lifting the apple. IE don't mix up the bin contents when searching for worms.

It works really well for me....hope this helps.

Daniel

Worm Woman
10-28-2003, 11:38 PM
Great suggestion Daniel. Worms love apples. I also agree with having more than one bin.

The worms will also congregate around the food. Bury food under bedding in a certain spot. Wait a day or so, many of the worms will be gathered to dine. Simply scoop out the whole mess, place in a pyramid shaped pile under a bright light. The worms will go into the pile away from the light. Wait 10-15 minutes, most of the worms will be on the bottom. Remove food, bedding, etc. until left with a mass of worms.

How many worms do Discus eat? Are Discus fed worms daily or as a treat?

Thanks,
Cathy

jeep
10-28-2003, 11:49 PM
Hi Cathy,

Thanks for the tips, and Dan as well...

I'd like to feed my discus at least 1 meal a day (3 or 4 worms per adult) no matter how many I have. At this time it's only 16, with more on the way.

I know it depends on the environment and the amount of food, but how fast do worms reproduce?

Brian

Worm Woman
10-29-2003, 09:58 AM
Hi Brian,

Once the worms are established in the environment and if the conditions are right (temp, moisture, air circulation), the worms will double in number every 90-120 days. The eggs or cocoons take about 3 weeks to hatch, then up to 10 weeks to become sexually mature. When they have reached maturity, they mate often and have a cocoon every 7-10 days.

Keep in mind, the worms do not like to be disturbed.

Cathy

jeep
10-29-2003, 10:10 AM
Sorry to ask such basic questions here...

When I received 2lbs of worms, I seperated them into 2 shoe box size containers. 1. because I'm limited on space and 2. because I'm trying to use only one cuture at a time while the other multiplies. eventually I want 3 bins going.

Are these bins too small?

How deep should the bedding be in order to not disturb the worms?

Thanks,

Brian

ronrca
10-29-2003, 10:56 AM
We are really fortunate that we have Cathy on Simplydiscus! Thank you Cathy for your time and information on red worms! I have learned so much already! Thank you!

My concern has already been raised! How many lbs of worms do I need to feed my discus 3x/week without depleting the squirm? Of course this is specific to the individuals needs! Perhaps we can limit it down to 1 adult discus and 1 2-3" discus!

As previously mentioned, 1 adult discus eats around 3-4 worms. Fed 3x/week, 1 adult discus would then eat 9-12 worms/week. Now we need to determine how many worms are in 1lb (approx) and given the reproduction time of 90-120 days, we should be able to calculate the lbs of worms needed to sustain a weekly feeding! Then multiply by the number of adults you have and that should give a good starting size that you need. Can this be determined?

Now, we can do the above with a 2-3" discus that eats what.....1-2 worms perhaps?!

10-29-2003, 12:34 PM
Jeep: Shoe box is too small. I use the Plastic storage bins from Wal-Mart about the size of the fish shiping box. Sitting on a stool at a 30 degree angle. Red wrigglers are surface feeders. 6-10" deep is all you need. They don't like to go below that. Make sure you have a drain hole for the vegie juice. Don't drink it. Use it to water your house plants.

I've read fruit fry are Vinegar fry. They will drown if a container with vinegar are placed inside the worm bin. Can someone varify this mehtod. Can Vinegar harm the worm if accidentally spill inside the bin?
Jimmy.

jeep
10-29-2003, 01:23 PM
Jimmy, I'll stay away from the worm juice ;D

Paulio
10-29-2003, 05:21 PM
Hmmmmmm Vinegar eh? If it works I dont think the vinegar would hurt them. I mean, they eat fermenting material and live in very acidic soil. Vinegar is pretty weak acid.

Paul

Worm Woman
10-29-2003, 06:14 PM
I agree with Jimmy, a shoe box is too small for 1 lb. of worms. The rule of thumb is one square foot of surface per pound of worms.

I've also heard about putting vinegar in a container in the worm bin. Haven't try it myself. I think the vinegar may harm the worms if it spilled right on them. However, the worms would likely stay away from area until it dissipated.

There are approximately 800-1000 Red Wigglers in a pound.

If my math is correct based on Ron's estimate of about 12 worms/week per adult Discus. 144 worms to feed one adult Discus for 3 months and approximately 72 for 2-3" Discus. So approximately 1/4 lb. of worms to feed one adult Discus and one 2-3" Discus for 3 months. In order to sustain a squirm of worms to feed one adult and one 2-3" Discus, I suggest starting with at least 1/2 pound.

Cathy

gump
10-29-2003, 06:25 PM
I love this thread!!!!
That seems like alot of worms!!! So if someone had 20 discus, you should start with 10 lbs!!!? It's been a long time since I've done any linear algebra questions!!LOL
Pierre

daninthesand
10-30-2003, 12:55 AM
fruit flys? No problem. Take care of 'em with this....

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=19;action=display;threadid=12942;s tart=0

10-30-2003, 09:07 AM
I don't have any fruit fry right now. I'll try vinegar when I have the next infestation and report to you. Another area we can also discuss is the white mite often appear along with the worms. Are they friends or foes? What are their main function in worm bins. I found them breaking down the hard to digest part like the cellulose and skin of the fruit before the worm can consume them. Am I correct? How do you make use of them. I use them to feed the fry. They love them and small enough for their little mouth. I just open the lid and shake them loose on top of the tank.
Jimmy.

ronrca
10-30-2003, 11:40 AM
It takes around 3 weeks for babies to 'hatch' and 2-6 worms are born. Given that, when 3 months rolls around (12 weeks), 4 hatching periods will have gone by. Therefore we can assume that 8% of the squium is 'mating' at any given hatching period and an average of 4 worms are produced! However, since worms do not follow a calendar, lets assume that 10%/week are reproducing.

So the equation would look something like this perhaps:
Total worms/8% = number of worms reproducing in one hatching period/10% = number of worms reproducing per week * the average number reproduced by a worm (4). This number needs to equal or be higher than the number of worms being fed.

So, lets say we start with 400 worms (0.5lb)!
400 / 8% = 32 / 10 = 3worms reproducing/week * 4 = 12!

Your squium is staying around the same size! Now we throw in some varibles like:
- we fed 14-15 worms a couple of weeks
- average number of worms reproduced is under 4
- average number of worms reproduced is over 4

Better to start with more than 400 worms!

Wow! Now what if you have like 40-50adults! Yikes!
btw, how many containers would 10lbs of worms be?

Just having some fun! ;) Hope it makes sense and the calcs sort of work! LOL!

gump
10-30-2003, 07:19 PM
LOL... Thats more like it Ron.
I was going to start a fish room but maybe I'll start a worm room first! Once thats up & running ( no water or air to hook up!!) & producing worms, then I can start the fish room!! J/K.
Pierre

Worm Woman
11-04-2003, 04:43 PM
Jimmy,

Here's a link to info about worms engineering coral reefs. www.ontariosciencecentre.ca/scizone/brainz/sugarman/default.asp?sugarmanIdEN=9

Cathy

11-05-2003, 12:42 PM
Very interesting link. thanks Cathy. I end up surfing that Ontario Science Centre site for hours.

Another question for you. Can composed worm survive the Canadian Winter in the composed box outside. I have thousands of them. Should I resue them from the bitter cold and store them in my freezer for the fish ;D? Are they able to burrow themselves 6 feet under the ground?

Jimmy

Worm Woman
11-05-2003, 05:54 PM
That's a good question. If the thaw is gradual enough, many of the worms will survive. Last year I had 3 insulated outdoor composters. They froze in January after a 3 week -20 C freeze. I left them for the remainder of the winter. In the Spring, the worms were squirming around. The composter wasn't warm enough for the cocoons to hatch.

Last winter there was not a mid-winter thaw in my area so the worms survived.

The cocoons will overwinter.

I would recommend capturing whatever worms you can.

Red Wigglers do not go below the frost line.

Hope that helps.
Cathy

jeep
11-20-2003, 11:19 AM
I've been feeding my worms about 1/2lb of leftovers every 3 days and they seem fine. I'm just guessing, but I think they're reproducing like crazy because I see lots of really small worms. So far so good...

I had the fruit flys for a bit but now it seems like they're gone. The only concern is I see what looks like little white mites crawling all over the place.

They don't seems to be bothering the worms or leaving the containor, but maybe just feeding on the food. Are the mites a concern?

Brian

Worm Woman
11-20-2003, 11:28 AM
The mites are not a problem. They help break down the food in the bin. They do not cause harm to the worms. The mites will remain in the bin as they enjoy the moist, warm environment.

Cathy

Mykiss
11-22-2003, 01:51 AM
Thanks worm wonam! this has been a very informative topic. I know I will start a worm culture soon. So, worm woman, after recieving a shipment from you (lets say 1 pound) what would I have to do to get the culture started? i.e. if I buy a large rubbermaid rubber box, other than drilling holes in it for aeration and drainage, what woulf I have to do for bedding i.e. mixing vegetable scaps and dried leaves or grass? What does a person have to do to maintain the culture? thanks
pt

Worm Woman
11-22-2003, 09:55 AM
Complete instructions are provided for setting up and maintaining a worm bin. The bedding consists of carbon material (eg. brown leaves, shredded paper, straw, etc.), soil and crushed eggshells or agricultural lime. Enough water so when mixed is the consistency of a wrung out sponge. After the worms have settled in for a day or two, nitrogen or foodscraps are added. Be sure to bury food under to prevent a fruit fly outbreak.

Hope this helps.
Cathy

Discusgeo
11-22-2003, 11:19 AM
MyKiss I have been feeding my Discus Red Worms for a few years now and they tear into them as soon as they hit the water. My Wild Discus go absolutly nuts over them, I guess it's bring out the wild in them. I have a worm bin and use newspaper that is torn into little pieces and damped with water. Just moist not wet and dripping. I feed them vegatables and throw in Spirulina Algae Powder and NatuRose on top of that.
You also get Red Worms at www.wormman.com
Two Pounds of Red Worms Approximately 2000 Red Worms For $35.78 Delivered

Mykiss
11-23-2003, 05:30 AM
Thanks for your suggestions, well, I guess it will be time to get a worm box and start cultivating!
pt

jeep
12-02-2003, 09:35 AM
One more question...

When all the bedding has been reduced to dirt (or castings), do you just add more bedding to the top? Do you mix new bedding up with old bedding? Or do you remove the worms and put them back in with new bedding?

Brian

Dkarc@Aol.com
12-09-2003, 10:01 PM
I think you would just start a new culture of red wigglers, by taking out as many worms as possible and disposing of the old bedding and replacing it with new bedding then put the worms back in. Im not 100% sure, ask Worm Woman.

-Ryan

brewmaster15
12-14-2003, 08:48 AM
George you add spirulina and nutrurose to the worm food and bedding.?

I had not thought of that ...thats an excellent idea ! Normally Discus get their color by what they eat in the wild...... in most cases its from invertebrates that have inturn eaten algaes that make the pigments..

If the worms eat the pigments in their food and bedding , they could possibly pass it on to the discus,...Great Idea!

I can see an experiment... 2 worm cultures...

one with and one without pigments added... one batch of red based fish fry split into 2 groups and fed from one of the 2 cultures...

oh and I guess I should throw in a control group too!:)
HmMMMM...

Thanks George

-al

Discusgeo
12-14-2003, 09:49 AM
Al I sure do as you can see it's an all natural food for them. Al put the food in a corner of your worm bin and see how long it last. I normally put it on a leaf of lettuce so I can see it better as the NatuRose is dark Red so it shows up real good on lettuce. Any time I can fine a way to get my added ingredients into my fish I figure it out some way. I am not even going to tell you what I put in with my live brine shrimp. So far that experiment has work too.

Worm Woman
01-10-2004, 12:31 PM
When the bin contents are converted to castings, it's harvest time! There are several methods to separate the worms from the castings...the easiest being the "dump and sort" method. Empty the bin contents onto a plastic sheet. Place into pyramid shaped piles under a bright light. The worms will go to the bottom of the pile. Scoop off the top portion of each pile and set castings aside. Prepare fresh bedding and add worms back in.

Castings can be used as a soil enhancer for house plants or gardens.

Cathy

Patsy G
01-14-2004, 06:47 PM
The topic of feeding additives to worms to enhance color interests me because I'd heard, the recently announced risks of eating farmed salmon were linked to what they'd been feeding them to enhance their pink color. Is there anything to this?
I have a package of 'spectra vital pure' by Marc Weiss that was given to me for experimentation. I have no idea of its source. I imagine some of those color enhancers are fine and others may be of risk...? Of course, we're not gonna eat our charges, but we don't want to harm their health either.
Thanks for your comments. Patsy

Lauren
03-03-2004, 01:05 AM
so what would be a good cheap food to add on? Someone mentioned corn meal? I know my family cant come up with enough scraps needed, unless of course the worms could survive on (nearly)coffee grinds alone (we drink ALOTTA coffee)
I can see myself now at friends houses "Oh, can you please put the leftover veggies & fruits you have in this container for me :D its for my fish!... well, eventually for my fish
Lauren

04-15-2004, 09:23 AM
I've concluded that none of the red wrigglers survive the last Canadian Winter. I've harvested the compose and found none from all 3 bins. Now I need some red wrigglers cultures to start again. Calling Worm Woman!!!! I dumped all of them into the compose bins mainly because of my spouse can't tolerate sharing her food with fruit fies in the house. When I start the culture again this year. I will sterile all food before putting into the bin. Is it a good idea to microwave all food before putting into the bin? Can it kill fruit fry eggs?
Jimmy.

jeep
04-15-2004, 09:58 AM
I tell you what... I have had flies like crazy this year even though my worms are gone. However, the bedding is still there... Nasty! :P :P

Lauren
04-15-2004, 10:12 AM
want to hear nasty... I threw in some broccolli thats been closed up in the coffee can for awhile,, THAT was nasty, the gas was so bad I was gagging as I did water changes. It has taken 2 days to clear that smell out, its lightly noticable, but nearly gone.. EW

04-15-2004, 10:51 AM
Trying to solve the fruit fry problem. I 've tried to put the left over into a clear plastic bags and left it under the sun for a few days to kill the eggs before putting into the bin. My suggestion is don't even try it. It's really nasty when you open the bag esp. inside the house. My daughter will run downstairs in a hurry seraching for dead animal in the house. Microwave could work. I have to try it when i get the culture again.
Jimmy.

Northwestcoastdisc
04-27-2004, 09:29 PM
hi Jimmy,

where did you get the red wiggles worms?

I want to do with red worms culture.

I was order the red wriggle worms from USA. He said that he could not ship the worms to Canada :(

I am interested to buy the red wriggle worms to feed my fish

thanks

Duncan

NWCD

jeep
04-28-2004, 04:04 AM
Try Cathy. She's from Canada...

http://www.cathyscomposters.com/

Northwestcoastdisc
04-28-2004, 11:55 AM
Hi Jeep,

Many thank you for your time and help me. I am going call her to get some red wriggle culture.

I like the worms to feed my fish hatchery ;D

Duncan

NWCD

Discusgeo
04-28-2004, 06:26 PM
www.wormman.com
One Pound of Red Worms Approximately 1000 Red worms $21.80 Delivered

Lauren
05-08-2004, 01:20 PM
my red worm bin has gone from healthy to disgusting in a very short period of time.. Mites I could deal with, fruit flies tolerable... but now.. I dont know what happend, A fly got into the room and now there are tiny grey/brown maggots in my bin.. Im thinking its fly maggots, but im not sure, I get tons of bugs in here after opening the doors on a good day (flys, hornets, beetles).

zooooom its all gone downhill since i noticed the first one.. I began to wonder if mom/sis was throwing things in the can that werent supposed to go in there, as its gotten stinky. Going out today and getting new soil/peat & reculturing.. yuck. Im surprised im not disgusted enough to throw the whole project out

jeep
05-08-2004, 07:10 PM
I don't blame you one bit. I've had a serious fly problem all winter long even though all my worms are long gone. But my d/a$$ roommate may have contributed by leaving rotten potatoes stuffed in his section of the kitchen cabinet :banghead:

Idea :idea: Maybe place some breathable fabric over the top of the container, such as nylon from pantyhose?

ronrca
05-11-2004, 09:49 AM
Duncan,
PM me if you order some worms. I also want to get some!

April
05-11-2004, 10:45 AM
Duncan theres worms here in Maple Ridge. heres the site.
www.wormsathome.com
I get them from there. she has the bins and the coconut fiber for bedding et etc also.

Lauren
05-11-2004, 02:28 PM
well all redone now, happy worms.. I dug through the digusting bin for hours, got cut up by crushed egg shells, fun fun. Washed the bin out thoroughly and moved them with ltos of new newspaper & peat.

If this problem happens again, shame on me. I'll probably be done with these wormies

lesley
05-11-2004, 05:42 PM
I'm in a fairly cold part of Oz, our temps get down to 1oC in the winter. My worms are outdoors. I chuck everything compostable in their bin. The bin is sitting directly onto earth. If you keep the water up to them you just keep getting new batches of worms. In the cold weather I use some of the fish water to warm them up occasionally.

I have been following this post with interest because I haven't tried feeding the young worms to the discus. I think I will have a go!!

Discusgeo
05-11-2004, 09:29 PM
My worm bin is nothing but newspaper. When I get my worms in I rinse them off of all the dirt they were packed in. In one corner of the box I put some playsand in there. The sand is what the worms need to breakdown the food. The sand are like the worms teeth. Thats it nothing else. I feed my worms lettuce, carrots, or just about anything in the vegi garden. I do add a little Spirulina Algae and Naturose by placing it on the lettuce leaves. I keep my newspaper damp not wet. Cut you newspaper up and soak it in water and then wring it out and place it in the box. My top is locked on with a couple of holes on the top with real fine screen glued over it. I get no flies or bugs in it. Your lids are either loose or you are leaving the tops open and that is why the fly's are in there. THey lay their eggs and the maggots eat your worms and then you have a big mess.
Mite Prevention

Proper care of worm beds can prevent a harmful buildup of mites. One or more of the following conditions are usually associated with high mite populations:

Too much water -- Beds that are too wet create conditions that are more favorable to mites than worms. Avoid excessively wet beds by adjusting watering schedules, improving drainage, and turning bedding frequently.

Overfeeding -- Too much food can cause an accumulation of fermented feed in worm beds and lower the pH of the beds. Adjust feeding schedules so that all feed is consumed within a few days. Modify feeding schedules as the seasons (and temperatures) change. Worms consume less food in colder temperatures.

Maintain beds around a neutral pH 7; use calcium carbonate to adjust the pH level.

Excessively wet or fleshy feed -- Vegetables with a high moisture content can cause high mite populations in worm beds. Limit the use of such feed, and if high mite populations are discovered, discontinue the use of this feed until mite populations are under control.

Mite Removal

Uncover the worm beds and expose them to sunlight for several hours. Reduce the amount of water and feed. Mites will not like this environment, and they may leave the worm beds.

Place pieces of watermelon or cantaloupe rind or potato slices on top of the worm beds. Mites are attracted to the sweetness of the rinds or peels and will accumulate on them. The rinds or peels can then be removed and dropped in water or buried.

Place pieces of watermelon or cantaloupe rind or potato slices on top of the worm beds. Mites are attracted to the sweetness of the rinds or peels and will accumulate on them. The rinds or peels can then be removed and dropped in water or buried.

George

Worm Girl
05-16-2004, 11:59 PM
Hi, All! ;D
Just wanted to stop by this thread and introduce myself! I am pretty much in the "know zone" when it comes to red worms, and would be more than happy to help you out with any questions you might have!
One suggestion I had for those of you wondering how to get the worms to the surface for easy "capturing" -- BANANAS!!! ;D Red Worms absolutely LOVE bananas and will congregate by the hundreds under a mushy, decomposing banana! Simply lift the peel and pick them up -- they will be relatively clean, too! ;)
Another great method for capturing large quantities is to take an onion sack and fill it full of decomposing veggies/fruits. Bury it in the center of your bin and leave it for a day or two. When you bring the sack up, you will find that your worms have migrated into the sack of food! ;D
Hope this helps!!!
Worm Girl

Northwestcoastdisc
05-17-2004, 05:57 PM
Hi Ronrca,

Sure we can do that. But April suggested me connect www.wormsathome.com it is not working ???

I need to have Red Wriggle culture to prepare feed my fish. I would like share with the red wriggles for Ronrca. :)

April, Can you please check the website is correct.

thanks
Duncan :)

Posted by: April Posted on: May 11, 2004, 07:45:43 AM
Duncan theres worms here in Maple Ridge. heres the site.
www.wormsathome.com
I get them from there. she has the bins and the coconut fiber for bedding et etc also.

ronrca
05-17-2004, 06:37 PM
Hi Duncan,
I found a place in BC that sells red wrigglers. www.allthingsorganic.com
Check them out. I also did find a place close to Edmonton that may also sell red wrigglers. I have to phone them though to find out for sure. ;)

Northwestcoastdisc
05-17-2004, 07:47 PM
hi Ronrca,

thank you for the website, But Kamloops, BC is too far from my home LOL.

I hope April Ross will find the correct website. I can get red wriggles close from my home.

I have whiteworms culture. The white worms are good for feed small babies fish.

Duncan

ronrca
05-17-2004, 09:54 PM
They can ship the worms Duncan and probably will not cost too much. They quoted me around $22 for shipping and I would think you are closer than I am. ;)

susankay1
05-17-2004, 11:58 PM
I got some red wigglers from a local supplier that ships all over. She goes as Worm Girl on here, her site is Rainbow Worm Ranch. Very nice worms, very reasonable prices.

susankay1
05-17-2004, 11:59 PM
http://www.rainbowwormranch.com/

heckelcrazy
05-29-2004, 06:18 PM
Wormgirl...friends and I are about to order some Red wigglers and I have had a look at your site...when you order say 5pounds ... do you get 5 pounds of worms + extra bedding or is the 5 pounds including the bedding?

cheers
aran

susankay1
05-30-2004, 01:16 PM
Aran, when I got worms from her, I got a pound + of worms and the bedding was seperate. I don't think she includes the bedding in the weight of the worms. HTH

heckelcrazy
05-30-2004, 01:50 PM
cheers mate

aran :)

Worm Girl
05-31-2004, 08:50 AM
Sorry, All! ;D I've been on vacation the last few days!
When we ship worms, we ship five pounds of worms and about three to four pounds of bedding to sustain them, depending on where they are travelling to -- SO, to answer your question, you get five pounds of worms, and the bedding isn't included in the poundage --- it's seperate!
Thanks a million!
Sally
aka -- Worm Girl

heckelcrazy
05-31-2004, 09:43 AM
cheers sally...will be in touch in a week or two when we are ready for some wormies!

-aran

Worm Girl
05-31-2004, 10:27 AM
Sounds absolutely fabulous!!!
You can e-mail me if you have any trouble or questions about your order.......rainbowworms@msn.com
Look forward to hearing from you!
Sally

JimmyL
11-19-2004, 01:01 PM
One new discovery of keeping off any unwanted insects in worm bins. is to introduce a natural enemies of fruit fry. I left the lid open to let a swarm of fruit fries escape in my garden. After a week and I saw no sign of fruit fies. I brought the bin back to my basement. It has been several months and I was surprised there is not even 1 single fruit fry in the bin. When I was trying to take some worms to seed another bin. I found a couple of very small Millipedes about 3" long in the bin. So I introduced some fruit fry which I keep for the dart frogs into the bin. After a week there is no fruit fry in the bin. I'll keep them into the bin just to keep those fries in check.
Jimmy

ed8t
12-09-2004, 01:14 PM
I used to raise red wigglers for composting years ago, but I found it tedious to sort out the worms when the box was full of castings. I'm thinking of setting it up again now that I have appreciative fish.

Just wondering if other people use those multi-level worm boxes ie. can o' worms etc. so the worms can crawl up to the next level leaving castings behind...that would save a lot of work. I'm thinking of building one of these:

http://www.wormdigest.org/The_OSCR_Junior.html

What's been your experience with these multi-level units if you're using them?

wvt9527
01-21-2005, 07:35 PM
Can anyone tell me what they keep the RW in. I was thinking maybe just a small trash can with big holes drilled out & covering it with say a window screen that is fine mesh. Or even an old bucket.

wvt9527
01-21-2005, 07:38 PM
Can anyone tell me what they keep the RW in. I was thinking maybe just a small trash can with big holes drilled out & covering it with say a window screen that is fine mesh. Or even an old bucket

ed8t
01-21-2005, 11:24 PM
I've used wooden bins and shallower plastic bins in the past, now I've set up a multi-level bin that seems to be working pretty good. Plans are just a couple of posts up. If it's your first set-up, I would use a 10 gallon rubbermaid tub.

You actually want a shallow bin from 12" to 18" deep otherwise the castings and materials will compact and make things stink. Plenty of oxygen flow keeps things tidy and the worms happy. Worms don't like light so just the mesh alone may let in too much light.

Here's review of commercial plastic bins, it's easy enough to make something similar:

http://www.wormdigest.org/article_99.html

wvt9527
01-23-2005, 11:32 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=519&item=4351240958&rd=1

wvt9527
01-23-2005, 11:44 PM
Thank you that was an excellent reading. I got a great ideal from it.

dishpanhands
02-23-2005, 05:03 AM
just a tip for the fruit flies ....put apple vinegar in bottom of a jar about 1 inch in mayo jar then put a funnel in the top ...the funnel turns the jar into a trap. works the same as a minnow trap they can find the way in but can't get back out.... :D

Greg Richardson
08-04-2005, 12:36 AM
I live in Washington state. Is there any harm in just scooping up the type of worms we have hear from bottom of compost piles and using them?
Most look like red wigglers I guess?
Then you got your earthworms also.
Right now I got about 75 or so in shredded paper in a box in the fridge purging.
feeding time I thought I'd let them warm up a bit and then feed them.
Was thinking that since I put them in fridge right away they might not eat the paper? Make sense?
Any advice?

JimmyL
08-04-2005, 09:05 AM
Hi Greg: Compose worms are red wrigglers that can stand the heat of composing vegetable and a surface feeder but not the night crawlers or earthworms. they are just the opposite, they need the coldness and deep underground feeder that do not normally reproduce on the surface. Therefore keeping compose worms in the frig is not necessary. It will not kill them but will stop all activities. You can keep them in a container with some medium of your choice.

In case anyone is battling with fruit fries and other critters brought in from your banana peels or compose bin. After trying all methods provided but fail and the last resort is to PM me for my unconventional solution. Fruit fries is the major destroyer of my worm bins for many many years (20 years) until I found a way to kill all of them. I will not post the method just to avoid disagreement from expert wormers, just to someone interested.
Jimmy

Greg Richardson
08-04-2005, 10:49 AM
Thanks Jim. I wanted to purge them also but I read the whole thread here and see others don't.
Yet, I've read elseware you should purge them.

You or anyone else have an opinion about that?

Why one way or the other?

JimmyL
08-04-2005, 11:53 AM
You can purge them before feeding. As long as they are clean and free of any grits. My unconventinal way is to keep them in water to avoid friuit fries, mites and other critters. They come out to the water expose themselves to feed and reproduce. Very easy picking and already cleaned and washed.
Jimmy.

ppv1951
08-30-2005, 09:16 AM
trucdan -
red wigglers are not the same as redworms. redworms are a larger worm. yes, eisenia fetida (also, eisenia foetida) is the designation for red wigglers. pat.

ppv1951
08-30-2005, 12:20 PM
lwarctic -

i did a search on red wigglers a few days ago, and found a site that offers 1 lb. of red wigglers for $7.10 + 8.00 sh ($15.10)/2 lbs. - $7.10 + 9.00 ($23.20). best prices i've found. the name is arkansas caveworms. they are closed seasonally, but re-open september. site is:

www.homestead.com/wormseller/justworms.html

you can also find them at:

www.wormdigest.org/article_122.html

scroll down to arkansas caveworms. this second site has many other links to wormfarmers if you want to do some more worm shopping (only 123 shopping days 'til xmas!).

this weight is for WORMS ONLY. some sites will include bedding in the weight, giving you fewer worms. 1 lb. should = 1000 worms.

a good price seems to be $18-22/lb., delivered.

if you have LOTS of fish to feed (no more than twice weekly is suggested because of the fat content), or if you have someone to split a load with, 2 lbs. is obviously the way to go.

here's more:

www.acmewormfarm.com
out of tucson. 1 lb./$25, delivered - 2lbs./$37, delivered.

www.bluebellyfarm.com
sacramento. 1 lb./about $21.50, delivered - 2lbs./$33-35, delivered. shipping dependent upon how shipped and to where.

www.rayswormsandmore.com
raytown (c'mon rayyyyyy), MO. 1 lb./$22.75, delivered - 2 lbs./$37.50, delivered.

btw, someone posted ctvalley.com as having red wigglers for $15/lb. they have european nightcrawlers and red WORMS. red worms are not the same as red wigglers. red wigglers = eisenia fetida. there seems to be some confusion.

if you order, and start using the worms to feed, get back to me. i'd like to know how it works out. i plan on culturing these guys, myself. good luck, les!

pat.

ppv1951
08-30-2005, 12:29 PM
jeep -

i've been looking into the redworms the last few days, and yes, you can add vites to your red wiggler feed. it's ingested by the worms, then directly by the fish when you feed. sounds like a great idea to me!

pat.

ppv1951
08-30-2005, 01:06 PM
wvt9527 -

you can use just about ANYTHING to hold your worms..... small trash can, bucket, old tupperware with a lid, something you nail together out of scrap wood..... some use those plastic shoe boxes with the lids. if you use a can or bucket, cover with burlap or an old towel to keep the flies out.

make sure there are holes in the botom for drainage. the bedding needs to be kept moist. if it dries out, you will lose your worms. if it's too wet, the worms will climb the sides to get air. that drainage (tea) diluted 10:1 with tap water makes an excellent houseplant and garden fertilizer. so do the worm castings (compost). best you can get.

you also need some air holes for ventilation. if you're going to use a can, you might want to get some free screen scraps from a hardware store that does re-screening (great for the bottoms of pots when potting houseplants, too). use with some non-toxic aquarium sealant to hold in place to keep the flies out.

if you're handy with your hands, you might want to do a googlesearch on red wigglers or just worms, and check out some of the retail-type composters to get some ideas for making one. they have some neat ones with stackable trays. as the worms eat up the food in one tray, you load the next one with kitchen waste and they climb up to get it. they're a bit pricey, but could probly make one $15-20.

here's a simple plan for one: (4 pcs.) 1 X 4 nailed together to make a box. cover bottom with 1/4 in. wire mesh. make 2 or 3 so you can stack them.

good luck walter.

pat.

ronrca
10-12-2005, 10:01 AM
im hoping to order some wrigglers shortly. One question I have is what is the best bedding to use? I read that shredded newspaper works but is that ok when Im going to be feeding discus?

Ardan
11-25-2005, 03:57 PM
I don't know the answer to your question Ron, but was amazed to read some of the articles and see that these worms eat there own body wt in food every 24 hours.

1 lb worms = 1 lb food every 24 hrs. WOW!

Ardan

Hope some one with experience can answer the newspaper question.:)

ronrca
11-25-2005, 05:02 PM
:thumbsup:
Thanks Ardan! I have my worms already. I used cutup newspaper and peat. The only concern I now have is keeping the bedding wet enough.

kjmillerfw
11-28-2005, 07:00 PM
I used to lightly mist mine daily with a water bottle until it finally got wet. It took a few weeks using that method but I felt it was better than saturating the bedding all at once. After that, I've never had to add water again. If anything, now I have to add more peat to dry it out a little bit. Redworms are so easy to keep once you get them established and are a great source of protein for your discus. My discus have gotten very picky and don't much care for beefheart (especially my adults). I try to feed a really good size portion of wigglers every weekend for added protein. They still eat frozen bloodworms and tetra bits by the handfull, but I feel better feeding them wigglers to keep their diet varied and healthy.

I have no problem finding enough food for mine...I just check the vegetable bin every weekend and throw in whatever is starting to look icky! That, and all of my co-workers save their banana peels and apple leftovers for me. Lately, I've been giving them leftover pellets and peanut shells that my two parrots don't eat.

fstop3000
12-22-2005, 08:23 PM
Thank you for the information. I've had a worm bin for a couple of years and my discus tank for a couple of months and never thought to feed my discus red wigglers. I've been only feeding them flakes, live brine shrimp, and freezed dried food. Do any of you cut them up or serve them whole? When I first started with worm composting I used the coconut coir that was supplied with the kit and a couple of handfuls of peat and soil and a pound of worms. In the beginning I would mist daily. Now I rarely have to add any water. Just add shredded newspaper as needed to keep fruit flies at bay. All the vegetable matter I add seems to have enough moisture to keep all three shelves of my bin moist. How much of a risk is there of introducing pathogens into the discus tank with red wigglers fed with kitchen scraps?

bigphish
01-13-2006, 04:59 PM
--Hopefully this thread hasn't completely died... I have a question to those out there growing red worms. I recently got started with them and I am noticing an increasing population of small white worms. I am wondering if these are baby red wigglers or if the culture may indeed be occupied by a different worm as well. I have plenty of big red wigglers so I know what they look like. These are small and white maybe an inch stretched out with lots of smaller ones too. Could they possibly be grindal worms or walter worms or is there such a thing as 'white worms'?

Thanks for the help,
--Steve

Eyal
01-25-2007, 05:56 PM
could anyone attach a pic of red wrigglers :)

CAGE-RATTLER
01-25-2007, 09:28 PM
could anyone attach a pic of red wrigglers :)

Google images:

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&hs=Kvu&sa=N&resnum=0&q=red%20wigglers&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&tab=wi

russell
03-28-2007, 08:08 AM
Need to find a supplier of red worms in the UK or IRELAND.
anybody?????

susantroy1
08-23-2007, 11:34 PM
Hey all, I'm currently growing out 6 discus and have come to the conclusion that these guys love blood worms, B/H, Frozen brine Shrimp. But one could live without the flakes. I ordered 2lbs of red wigglers and am going to start a worm factory:) So here is my question... These guys need PROTEIN to grow. B/H adds to much fat IMO (messy). I'll use it but in limited quanities. If I feed My worms corn meal along with veggies and Heavly dust the pile with this http://cgi.ebay.com/WHEY-PROTEIN-CONCENTRATE-POWDER-5-POUNDS-LOW-CARB_W0QQitemZ270137474989QQihZ017QQcategoryZ40963 QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem
My theroy is the increase in protein injested by the worms which will be passed on to my Discus. Does this make sense? or am I missing something? I've read that the more Protein you can get into these Juvies The better growth you will see:D

Troy

Bluemarlin
03-03-2008, 10:19 PM
Need to find a supplier of red worms in the UK or IRELAND.
anybody?????

Russell.
Use European nightcrawlers, raised the same as reds and should be easy to get there and they do a great job on composting.
IMO there better for your fish, and my fish always ate them like crazy, red wigglers they were never crazy about.

korbi_doc
03-04-2008, 01:10 PM
--Hopefully this thread hasn't completely died... I have a question to those out there growing red worms. I recently got started with them and I am noticing an increasing population of small white worms. I am wondering if these are baby red wigglers or if the culture may indeed be occupied by a different worm as well. I have plenty of big red wigglers so I know what they look like. These are small and white maybe an inch stretched out with lots of smaller ones too. Could they possibly be grindal worms or walter worms or is there such a thing as 'white worms'?

Thanks for the help,
--Steve

Steve, my bin is filled with these small white baby red wigglers & little larger juvenile worms, they color up as they grow.....I try to feed the smaller worms, easier for the fish to grab....& the smaller fish love'm too...

Russell.
Use European nightcrawlers, raised the same as reds and should be easy to get there and they do a great job on composting.
IMO there better for your fish, and my fish always ate them like crazy, red wigglers they were never crazy about.

Russell, these sound interesting, could you give us some more info on them? Where to find'm, size, etc....

Dottie ;)

LizStreithorst
03-04-2008, 03:52 PM
I can see that you're enjoying your worms, Dottie.

korbi_doc
03-04-2008, 04:38 PM
I can see that you're enjoying your worms, Dottie.

Yup, Liz, just need to feed'm more xs...I get real lazy & tend to forget....good think they have auto feeders, lol....still lookin' for an easier way to harvest'm....any ideas??

Dottie ;)

phidelt85
03-04-2008, 06:34 PM
Yup, Liz, just need to feed'm more xs...I get real lazy & tend to forget....good think they have auto feeders, lol....still lookin' for an easier way to harvest'm....any ideas??

Dottie ;)

Harvesting is what keeps me from feeding them as a daily staple. It's a real PITA. I setup two glasses of water. Using tweezers, I pick the babies or slightly older wigglers, shake off the big stuff; then, I dip them in the first glass to get the smaller crap off, and drop them in the second to hold while I harvest more.

Bluemarlin
03-04-2008, 07:15 PM
Russell, these sound interesting, could you give us some more info on them? Where to find'm, size, etc....

Dottie ;)
[/B]

Here is some info on them

http://www.wormman.com/europeans.cfm

Doug

geleen
03-04-2008, 08:00 PM
I harvest mine by hand into a metal sieve (borrowed permanently from the wife) rinse them well, then put them in a small bowl with a bit of water.
Rinse after a few minutes (they will have pooped by then) and put them covered in the fridge for 15 min or so. This will slow them right down.
They can then be easily chopped a bit (or not) and fed a few at a time with a pair of tweezers, as they will bunch together tightly.

J

LizStreithorst
03-04-2008, 08:50 PM
I don't care if they are clean or dirty. After all what they are eating is my good clean dirt, newspaper, horse, chicken and goat poop. As long as I have the time, I enjoy the process of collecting them to feed the fish. I even talk to the little buggers.
I culture them in 3 large plastic tubs. When I want to feed fish I get a large plastic tray with low sides and dump a bunch of worms and dirt into them. I seperate the little ones into a small plastic container. Sometimes I'll use 2 containers and seperate them into larger and smaller sized worms depending on the size of the fish I have to feed. The breeding size worms, remaining dirt and food are then transfered into a new contianer where they have their privicy to reproduce.
Once a year The old dirt seems to be used up. It looks like the best quality black crumbly top soil when it's used up. When that happens, I take out the breeders and transfer them to a tub with fresh dirt, poo and newspaper. I use the old worm dirt as mulch for the roses.

Ichthyology
03-05-2008, 05:29 PM
"My theroy is the increase in protein injested by the worms which will be passed on to my Discus. Does this make sense? or am I missing something? I've read that the more Protein you can get into these Juvies The better growth you will see"

You are probably wasting your money on the protein powder. The veteblae matter is all the woms need to produce protein... The added protein probably has no significant impact on the protein production of your worms.

pcsb23
03-27-2008, 06:35 AM
I used to spend time letting them purge etc, now I just grab some get rid of the compiostra round them and feed as they are. The fish don't seem to care one jot and I think the contents of the worms stomach aids the fishes digestive tract if you get my drift ;)

Gillsie
03-28-2008, 07:14 PM
I just read this whole thread. Very interesting. You can learn more about these guys at (url (http://www.mreed.com) removed) And in addition, if you want to devote more time to raising fish and still feed red worms, you can get them dried (whole or in pieces) at that site as well.

number1sixerfan
06-22-2008, 02:44 PM
I have read this whole thread along with other sites with great info on them(kazarie.com and woman worm's homepage). I have a ten gallon rubbermaid container, peat moss, newspaper, and mesh screening.

I do have a question though. I drilled small holes in the top and on the sides near the top, as well as the bottom for drainage. Should I even use the mesh screening? What are the chances any of them will escape? The bin will be in my computer room closet. I just don't want any freaking my gf out. lol

LizStreithorst
06-22-2008, 09:45 PM
The screening is not necessary. They like the dark not light.. They like being in dirt not air.

Gillsie
06-23-2008, 08:57 PM
Harvesting is what keeps me from feeding them as a daily staple. It's a real PITA. I setup two glasses of water. Using tweezers, I pick the babies or slightly older wigglers, shake off the big stuff; then, I dip them in the first glass to get the smaller crap off, and drop them in the second to hold while I harvest more.

Okay, all you guys need to read the bible on raising these worms. It is called "Worms Eat My Garbage". It covers almost everything you need to know. Lowest price is at (URL removed) The book is a quick, interesting read and full of all the right info.

I have raised these worms like crazy in the past but now prefer to buy the dried pieces from the same source as the book, above.

A couple of things about what has been said here: 1-definitely screen all holes in your bin. This will keep out intruders like fruit flies, silver fish, cockroaches and more. Also, easiest way to collect a bunch of worms all at once is to take one of those net bags (like onions come in), and put a favorite worm food in it (I used watermelon rind and other fruit). Put the bag and food below the bedding topline. The worms will gradually crawl into the bag overnight or over a couple of days and start eating the food. You need only pull the bag out and empty the worms out of it by the handful. It works great.

Newspaper is the best basic bedding and the worms will eat it along with whatever else you supply. Just be sure the ink is organic (almost all newspapers now use organic ink). Avoid the color pages and slick, shiney pages to be perfectly safe.

Bluemarlin
06-23-2008, 10:57 PM
I like my worms live, so do my fish...
Raising them is no big deal.
I don't feed mine much garbage I feed chicken egg laying mash.
Worms love it, it don't stink, no fly's and they reproduce like crazy.
can't replace live with dried in my book.

number1sixerfan
06-28-2008, 07:37 AM
I received the worms from Kazarie yesterday. I could not use the mesh screen as in didn't react to glue well and I can't find my masking tape. How did you all screen your bins? I already have a few random critters crawling out. I also saw a gnat or two.

It was mentioned earlier to use pesticide strips on the outside of the bin. Couldn't that hurt the worms?

LizStreithorst
06-28-2008, 08:01 AM
After the first night they don't crawl out. Knats and fruit flies can be attracted to the garbage the worms are fed, but if you bury the garbage in the worm bedding it shouldn't be a problem. I don't cover my bins and have had no problems.

number1sixerfan
06-29-2008, 06:59 PM
Well, so far the discus are loving them. I plan to feed them once or twice a day. I have to cut it up in 3 pieces in order for the little discus to have a go at them. The larger discus try to take them whole.

Gillsie
06-29-2008, 10:09 PM
DON'T use the strips. What the heck to you think they do to keep pests away? Duh!!!! They emit insecticide into the air. Just because you can't see it does not mean it is not there.

yim11
07-01-2008, 12:45 AM
I have been getting my worms from the local Petsmart for a while now (you have to ask for them). Very cheap and convenient. I don't feed my fish worms on a regular basis so this works out great for me. I tried a worm bin, but I just didn't have the time to do it right and when I did they reproduced a LOT faster than I could use them.

HTHs anyone that wants to feed worms but doesn't feed a lot...
-jim

number1sixerfan
07-03-2008, 08:49 PM
Ok...pest are already becoming a problem, even though I bury the food at least four inches under the surface. Also, the worms are in an enclosed closet.

When I open the bin or even the closet holding the worms there are no pest, but there are now random flies in the room that has the closet. My question is would I be able to keep the worms on my patio even though it's summer time. It gets to high 80's here so I'm worried that it may get too hot.

I don't plan on giving them up as the Discus really do love them. I also enjoy watching the discus eat them.

Gillsie
07-04-2008, 01:17 PM
High temperatures can easily build in a bin and kill the worms.

LizStreithorst
07-04-2008, 01:39 PM
Ok...pest are already becoming a problem, even though I bury the food at least four inches under the surface. Also, the worms are in an enclosed closet.

When I open the bin or even the closet holding the worms there are no pest, but there are now random flies in the room that has the closet. My question is would I be able to keep the worms on my patio even though it's summer time. It gets to high 80's here so I'm worried that it may get too hot.

I don't plan on giving them up as the Discus really do love them. I also enjoy watching the discus eat them.

If they're in the shade there should be no problems. Mine are outside (probably why I've noticed no flies) the temps here are in the 90's every day. They are re-producing like crazy.

Gillsie
07-05-2008, 02:52 PM
Best reproduction of the worms is at around 77 degrees. Temperatures above the mid eighties slow things down and threaten the lives of the worms. Placing the bin in the shade at high temps is a must. Also, the moisture in the bin keep the temperature down a bit as a result of the heat energy dissipated by evaporation. Still, constant 90-degree temperatures around the bin are right on the borderline. This is not just my opinion, books on vermicomposting will tell you the same thing.

LizStreithorst
07-05-2008, 04:24 PM
Thanks for the info, Gilleie. All I know about worms is what I've learned from personal experience with them. Mine ARE slowing down in production here lately. I'd love to know more. Could you recommend a book or two to me?

Can you also answer a question for me? When I feed worms I look for the grey band around them. Those are the breeders, I put then into the next culture. The ones that don't have the band, I feed. This works great, but just now I find myself in the position of having to seperate a whole old bathtubful of worms from their bedding. How would you go about this? Hand picking will take forever.

Gillsie
07-05-2008, 07:22 PM
The best book on raising the worms is called "Worms Eat My Garbage". The lowest price I could find was at (URL Removed).

Fastest way I have found to separate out worms is to spread out an old bed sheet on the ground and dump the contents of the bin on it. Then separate the contents into a bunch of small piles. Then you simply skim the top material from each pile (you can dump some into a new bin) repeatedly. Just move from pile to pile and back again. The worms do not like the light, so they move down into the pile each time. As you keep taking the top material off, they keep moving down. Finally, they are all together at the very bottom of what remains of the piles. At that point, you simply pull out a bunch of big worms as breeders for any new bins you are starting and keep the rest for feeding your fish. Some of the material you have removed will have the tiny, threadline juveniles in it and, also, the tiny, lemon shaped eggs that new worms will come from. You can add some of these things to your new bin(s) as well to get a jumpstart on production.

LizStreithorst
07-05-2008, 07:52 PM
Thank you, sir for the good advice and the book recomendation. I will order the book right now, and follow your advice on my project of seperating the worms.

Bluemarlin
07-05-2008, 08:43 PM
Gillsie
That book is much cheaper just about everywhere...
seems the site you keep pushing is about the highest.
You must not have looked very hard.....:rolleyes:

Bluemarlin
07-05-2008, 08:49 PM
Liz
European Night Crawlers are a prolific breeder, better then the red wigglers and are much harder then the reds
Can be kept at temp's that would kill a red wiggler high and low.
If you ever have to buy more worms you may want to try the Europeans
My fish like them much better then the red's.
Here is a link to some info on them if your interested

http://www.wormman.com/europeans.cfm

I do not sell worms or freeze dried worms nor am I associated with worm man;)

RandalB
07-05-2008, 10:13 PM
Gillsie,
Please refrain from promoting non sponsors in your threads.

Thanks,
The Simplydiscus.com Team

LizStreithorst
07-06-2008, 04:00 AM
I ordered it used on Amazon for $7.

Bluemarlin, I get nightcrawlers in my red wiggler cultures. God knows how they find their way in, but they do. I agree they are very vigorous but my fish prefer the red wigglers and I prefer not to have to chop worms.

Bluemarlin
07-06-2008, 09:52 AM
Liz
Thats cool:)
but not the same nightcrawlers.
I don't mind chopping them up as I can feed then to my very small fish as well.
My fish would never eat whole reds so I had to chop them up no matter what.
Happy worm farming:D

LizStreithorst
07-06-2008, 11:27 AM
Yes, I understand now that my "common nightcrawlers" are not the same.

Funny how different things work for different people. I've been amazed by my small juvies with a big red worm sticking out of their mouths being slowly chewed up and consumed. If I weren't so overrun with the red ones I'd give the Euopean's a try.

Liz
Thats cool:)
but not the same nightcrawlers.
I don't mind chopping them up as I can feed then to my very small fish as well.
My fish would never eat whole reds so I had to chop them up no matter what.
Happy worm farming:D

number1sixerfan
07-06-2008, 03:54 PM
Well they are outside as I could not tolerate the bugs. I have a spray bottle and have been spraying the surface everyday. They are on my patio under some shade, so hopefully it will all work out.

jenny12
09-24-2009, 10:45 AM
I have been reading this thread for days and I got loads of helpful information about raising Red Wiggler worms. I'd like to share an article that I read which also helped me solve the problems that I encountered during my first few days of composting with Red Wiggler worms.
Taking Care of Red Wiggler Worms (http://camillejoycelozano.blogspot.com/2009/09/step-in-taking-care-of-your-red.html)

hope this also helps the others. :angel:

jenny12
03-28-2010, 02:31 AM
I have been reading this thread for days and I got loads of helpful information about raising Red Wiggler worms. I'd like to share an article that I read which also helped me solve the problems that I encountered during my first few days of composting with Red Wiggler worms.
Taking Care of Red Wiggler Worms (http://camillejoycelozano.blogspot.com/2009/09/step-in-taking-care-of-your-red.html)

hope this also helps the others. :angel:
Sorry for posting a link that is not working. Anyway, here's a blog that I also found very useful when rasing Red Wiggler worms (http://www.gardenworms.com/) for my lovely fishes:
Vermicomposting blog (http://www.gardenworms.com/blog/)

bronzie8
05-04-2011, 04:40 PM
Where is a good place to purchase red worms? I am also looking for a white worm source.

TonyAPBTx
05-06-2011, 09:43 PM
I purchased mine on Amazon.com. $27.99 with free shipping and no tax. I had a good experience with my purchase.

seanyuki
05-06-2011, 11:03 PM
For red wigglers.......try Uncle Jim worm farm or Aquabid for white worms ,micro worms,banana worms etc

http://www.unclejimswormfarm.com/

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?foodl

Where is a good place to purchase red worms? I am also looking for a white worm source.

TURQ64
05-12-2011, 04:58 PM
I just received an order from 'uncle jim'; unfortunately, there was a cut in the bag they came in, so many had escaped to the box and became dry toothpicks...sure is fun to watch my f1 Tefe's pull on 'em!.....Gary

moon_knight1971
05-12-2011, 08:44 PM
Just tried some and they loved them! I forgot to cut them up in smaller pieces so it took them alot longer to eat them but they are much cleaner than beefheart. Is the red wigglers nutritional value any good though?

TURQ64
05-13-2011, 07:20 AM
pretty hard to beat mother nature!....I have no data, but I would guess that the nutrient content of the worms is high relative to fish...

Second Hand Pat
05-13-2011, 12:06 PM
What size red wigglers are you guys feeding? I have been feeding the thinner ones at an inch to about three inches. The larger discus have no problem eating these and the smaller discus (3.5 in or so) seem to have a much harder time. My worm bins are not producing anything smaller yet.

TURQ64
05-13-2011, 12:25 PM
I stopped cutting up worms many years ago, so I feed 'em whatever they'll chew up..They like the smaller ones, but will play tug 'o war with the bigger ones until someone gets excited enough to swallow them....They really like the toothpick sized ones....had a ram pulling on one end, and a huge Heckel on the other..funny to watch, but no doubt who got the worm!

Second Hand Pat
05-13-2011, 12:30 PM
Gary, you ever have a worm get stuck where the fish has eaten the worm but there is still part hanging out of the fishes mouth?

TURQ64
05-13-2011, 12:38 PM
Only for a second, then they chewed the rest up....once in a while, I throw in a small nightcrawler that they can't eat, just for sport, like rugby!..then I remove it before it becomes pollution..

Second Hand Pat
05-13-2011, 12:49 PM
lol...you like to watch them play tag or tug to war with it?

TURQ64
05-13-2011, 01:29 PM
Heck yeah, might as well get some extra enjoyment outta these buggars!

andyl9063
07-21-2011, 08:50 PM
anyone still feeding them this?????? i saw mostly problem threads where they couldnt keep it from going,

anyone successfully doing this?

TURQ64
07-21-2011, 08:52 PM
I still feed them; no issues this time of year....Gary

Second Hand Pat
07-21-2011, 09:17 PM
I'm feeding small red wigglers. My bins are full of babies.

andyl9063
07-21-2011, 10:26 PM
where did you buy yours from pat? uncle jim?

Second Hand Pat
07-22-2011, 12:16 AM
Hey Jim, I bought my breeders from the worm man. Try googling worm man.

andyl9063
08-03-2011, 12:38 PM
just got the red wigglers, omg...........
they go crazy over it. some of the wigglers are too big, so i just toss them in, they don't finish right away but it gets finish in 15 minutes.
awesome!!!

Joe
08-03-2011, 07:39 PM
I feed them. Never had a problem. I also chop them for smaller discus. I perfer them as a live food

Joe

andyl9063
08-04-2011, 10:25 AM
i left them outside in the shade, the heat got pretty bad, most of them are dry and dead......

TURQ64
08-04-2011, 10:55 AM
mine are in my breezeway this time of year..just fine; I mist the bin now and then...all prospering....too bad, mate..good thing it wasn't the fish!

andyl9063
08-04-2011, 12:01 PM
would they be fine in a refrigerator at the lowest setting?

TURQ64
08-04-2011, 12:16 PM
yep.....my wife would fillet me with a dull knife if I tried that....

andyl9063
08-04-2011, 01:43 PM
hahahahahah well i have a fridge in the garage which we dont use, i did ask her about, she was so nice hehehehehe

but she say keep it only in the one in the garage........lol

Second Hand Pat
08-04-2011, 04:01 PM
i left them outside in the shade, the heat got pretty bad, most of them are dry and dead......

Did you keep them moist? Mine are outside in the shade here in fla and doing fine.

andyl9063
08-05-2011, 01:27 PM
how moist are you talking?????? i pour some water in probably every 2 day.

Second Hand Pat
08-05-2011, 07:08 PM
how moist are you talking?????? i pour some water in probably every 2 day.

Slightly wet to the touch.

Unicorrs
10-28-2011, 02:54 AM
this thread makes me wanna buy some red wrigglers too.. hmmm..

texassupra71
10-30-2011, 08:45 PM
I was looking through this entire tread and noticed that no one mentioned Petsmart as a retailer for redworms/wigglers.

Sean Buehrle
12-24-2011, 02:56 PM
I got some wigglers this summer and have been feeding them all the waste and old veggies from the fridge.

I've also been tearing up newspapers for them to eat.

I forgot all about them for a few weeks and decided I better check on them .

They have made a ton of castings this time.
I'll bet I've gotten 30 pounds of castings since June., great for the garden.

Here's a pic

http://img.tapatalk.com/47dde158-205b-00cd.jpg

LizStreithorst
12-24-2011, 05:11 PM
It's beautiful stuff, isn't it? During the winter months I use oak leaves and horse poo to enrich the soil, but where I have my winter garden planted the horse poo is too strong. I dig in my worm castings before I replant in the Spring.

Sean Buehrle
12-25-2011, 01:53 AM
It's beautiful stuff, isn't it? During the winter months I use oak leaves and horse poo to enrich the soil, but where I have my winter garden planted the horse poo is too strong. I dig in my worm castings before I replant in the Spring.

I have a really nice compost pile in the yard. I throw all kinds of stuff in it. Eggshells, coffee grinds , potato peels and a ton of grass.

In the spring I till it into my tomato and pepper rows.

I swear that I build 8 foot 2x2 wood cages for my tomatoes and they reach it no problem.

I grew a plant about 6 years ago that took up half my garden :)

I have a picture of it on a disc and will try and post it.

I love growing tomatoes.

Believe it or not, up until a couple weeks ago I had a jalapeņo plant that was still producing peppers in my compost pile. :)

I'm in Iowa and its been pretty cold here at times, so that pretty crazy.

It's going to be nice to have some castings to go in there this spring.

I love gardening:)

TURQ64
12-25-2011, 09:29 AM
Mine are doing well,but...I'm fearing a dilemma, as the groundwill stay frozen here for 4 more months, and the local stores don't stock gardening supplies this time of year..No source for 'dirt'....I used to crawl under the house for dry dirt when trapping, but way too stove up for that nowdays...for a kink, I'm going to try a row of 'ghost' peppers nxt season..

Sean Buehrle
12-25-2011, 10:41 AM
Mine are doing well,but...I'm fearing a dilemma, as the groundwill stay frozen here for 4 more months, and the local stores don't stock gardening supplies this time of year..No source for 'dirt'....I used to crawl under the house for dry dirt when trapping, but way too stove up for that nowdays...for a kink, I'm going to try a row of 'ghost' peppers nxt season..

I just watched a YouTube video of a guy eating a ghost pepper LOL

I'm going to see if I can get a few seeds and try them out:)

TURQ64
12-26-2011, 10:28 AM
we're having some outrageous weather for the North Country; upper 40's today,so..I'm taking a pick and shovel out to get some new dirt for my various worms....

Chicago Discus
12-26-2011, 02:23 PM
are you guys feeding red wigglers to your discus?

TURQ64
12-26-2011, 02:30 PM
I feed the tiny ones to any of my Discus..I feed medium's to some Discus, mostly wild, and I feed adults to my Stingrays as variety from 'crawlers...I feed some 'crawlers to my wilds..The Greens and Blues eat them, but not the Heckel's.

LizStreithorst
12-26-2011, 03:03 PM
I'll go you one better, Gary. I feed vermicompost to my newly free swimming fry that are yet to small to take BBS. They leave their parent's sides to feast on it. Give it a try.

Sean Buehrle
12-26-2011, 10:34 PM
I'll go you one better, Gary. I feed vermicompost to my newly free swimming fry that are yet to small to take BBS. They leave their parent's sides to feast on it. Give it a try.

Are you talking about the castings?

LizStreithorst
12-26-2011, 10:45 PM
Yes, and even some of the less digested worm stuff that was decmposing but not rotten. What I fed my terder fry had semi worm eaten horse poo in it.

This is the second time I've posted about this here. I even posted pics! Nobody wants to give it a go. What's the harm? You can always hoover it out. I got incredable growth from my tiny ones.

Sean Buehrle
12-26-2011, 11:21 PM
Yes, and even some of the less digested worm stuff that was decmposing but not rotten. What I fed my terder fry had semi worm eaten horse poo in it.

This is the second time I've posted about this here. I even posted pics! Nobody wants to give it a go. What's the harm? You can always hoover it out. I got incredable growth from my tiny ones.

Well next time I'm blessed with some fry I'll no doubt give it a shot.

It sounds plausible if you take into consideration all the microorganisms and tiny tiny bugs that are at work in the composted stuff.

Yeah I can see this working.

LizStreithorst
12-27-2011, 12:14 AM
It sounds plausible if you take into consideration all the microorganisms and tiny tiny bugs that are at work in the composted stuff.

You've nailed it. But I, the most awe inspiring Discus keeper of all time, who has never done anything stupid, and who has never made a mistake came up with it simply by saying to myself, "Let's try this and see what happens".

Sean Buehrle
12-27-2011, 01:36 AM
You've nailed it. But I, the most awe inspiring Discus keeper of all time, who has never done anything stupid, and who has never made a mistake came up with it simply by saying to myself, "Let's try this and see what happens".

I am in awe and will probably be speachless if I ever am graced with your presence in real life :)

LizStreithorst
12-27-2011, 01:56 AM
Now, THAT's what I wanted to hear. I'll go so far as to buy you a beer at NADA for having said that. If my presence strikes you speachless it won't bother me.

Try it and let me know. It sure 'nough worked for my tiny ones.

TURQ64
12-27-2011, 09:45 AM
I stuck my bins outside yesterday 'cuz it was nice..Then it got in the teens last night..I'll see if they all made it today..I'll give it a try next week....

Dilux
05-05-2012, 03:32 PM
So I am new to the Discus world and I decided to jump in head first why not. Wife thinks I'm crazy, and told me the other day when you do something you always have to go all out why couldn't you just start with guppies. Not hating on guppies but Discus look soo cool. Anyways has anyone tried blending red worms with BH when making Discus food. Thinking why not what could be the harm. Reason is my Discus are about 4months old and when I throw in the worms they are not sure what to do, maybe they are a little big. Even the smaller red worms they dont bite on. I have only had the fish for a lil over 2 weeks and are doing well.

Second Hand Pat
05-05-2012, 03:54 PM
Keep introducing the smaller red wigglers. One fish will take one and the rest will be history.

Dilux
05-07-2012, 12:07 AM
So I am new to discus and to SimplyDiscus forum; I appreciate the experience and knowledge that all you share. I found a cool website that talked about making BH seafood formula that I may substitue my red wigglers for the salmon part of the ingredients. Bottom line the recipe is like this:
1. Beef heart- fresh not frozen for max nutritional value. (leanest part of the animal and is very high in protein and vitamin A) remove fat and vein so as not to potentially cause intestinal blockages in your fish. Goal is 500-600g.
2. Salmon **which is where I want to substitute "red Wigglers" not sure how many to add but will probably add to the recipe equivalent of salmon 300-350g. Only thing I can think of is adding some Omega3 (read one lady squeezes fish oil capsule- just not sure how many? maybe 3)
3. 4 hardboiled egg yolks
4. 1 whole ripe banana adds nourishment but also serves to bind the end product so the water doesn't get messed up
5. 2 cups of red lettuce one source sited that spinach leaves is high in iron and can leach Ca. from the fish and cause digestive issues.
6. 1 cup of fresh peas
7. 1 tbs spirulia powder
8. 400 IU vit. D
9. half cap of multivit. (don't overdose vit A/D and Ca. can impact kidneys
10. 2 cloves of fresh garlic (will enhance flavor but too much does opposite.)
11. Vegetable Iodine 5 drops/ kilo
Thanks for all the info. just wanted to share my thoughts and research as well.
comment with any concerns.
Like I said new to the discus world, had my juvi. discus for all of 3 weeks and they are doing well, but about to make my first batch of food and here goes nothing.

D.

Taylor Discus
05-29-2012, 11:16 AM
just ultimate beef heart mate 1" growth in 3 weeks

Dilux
06-07-2012, 05:33 PM
Nice, yah sometimes I over think the simple; maybe more is not necessarily better. Another idea was buffalo heart, a health food store sells them cheap says he has a connection, maybe leaner protein. I might give this a try it can't hurt. The above recipe gets a little messy in my planted discus. I may try gelatin in the next batch and put mainly this buffalo heart.

arman
09-24-2013, 07:06 PM
hey everybody,im fresh meat!
well im interested in using Eisenia feotida as discus food supplementation.i have read many pages and articles about this guy! and made my choice to do some action.but there are some questions that made me a little curious ...
1- how can i make worms' gut clear and get rid of material withing the alimentary tracts before put them into my fish's mouth:P?
2-i saw some people talked about using spirulina powder in bed material in order to make worms get them as food and result in fish color enhancement...how was the result of Spirulina project?:D was any color enhancement seen?or not reported yet?
3-how many times should i use these worms per day and Does these worms completely satisfy nutritional demand of fish or not?
thanks.

DiscusLoverJeff
09-24-2013, 08:07 PM
Boy since this thread started 10 years ago, the price of red wigglers went up in comparison.

Re:Red Wigglers...
www.wormman.com
One Pound of Red Worms Approximately 1000 Red worms $21.80 Delivered

Now, $40.00 a pound. WOW. Still looking into getting worms to try this. But thanks to Brandon, I have a small culture starting.

Will look for more worms to make a full culture.

Question though to the Wormmies here, when you add holes for circulation and drainage, are you adding them all over the container? And what size wholes are we talking about and how many?

Second Hand Pat
09-24-2013, 09:04 PM
Jeff, do not punch holes in your bin. Only put the top on loosely to allow a little air exchange.

Len
09-24-2013, 09:23 PM
no holes Jeff. Also unless you are in a hurry to start feeding the worms to your fish, you probably don't need to get more. Feed them well and they will multiply pretty quickly.

Trier20
09-25-2013, 04:05 AM
May I ask why no holes? The worm guy I got my colonies from had holes in the bottom of the bins to help with excess water from the food he fed(mostly melon rinds).

arman
09-26-2013, 12:56 PM
hey guys
can i add grape tree's leaf to the media to feed my worms?whats best home-made food that i can use for feeding my worms?
thanks for your answers

Len
09-26-2013, 01:01 PM
May I ask why no holes? The worm guy I got my colonies from had holes in the bottom of the bins to help with excess water from the food he fed(mostly melon rinds).

No huge reason, just not needed. I've had mine going for quite some time and haven't had moisture problems.

arman
09-27-2013, 08:07 AM
Jeff, do not punch holes in your bin. Only put the top on loosely to allow a little air exchange.
sorry boss but i have read on cathy website that we should use holes...here is the Quotations"*Note: To ensure your worm bin is fully ventilated, drill at least 10-20 - 3/16" holes in your bin".and here is the link
http://www.cathyscomposters.com/instructions.htm
pardon :)

Len
09-27-2013, 09:56 PM
sorry boss but i have read on cathy website that we should use holes...here is the Quotations"*Note: To ensure your worm bin is fully ventilated, drill at least 10-20 - 3/16" holes in your bin".and here is the link

Ok, so you have read ...... but have you done??

I'm saying that I have worm bins, use NO holes for ventilation since the rubbermaid tubs aren't airtight and the worms do quite well and multiply and have been doing so for quite some time. It's fine to do research and consider the information provided, but how does that compare with actually doing it and getting proof in the results?

Trier20
09-27-2013, 10:21 PM

I'm saying that I have worm bins, use NO holes for ventilation since the rubbermaid tubs aren't airtight and the worms do quite well and multiply and have been doing so for quite some time. It's fine to do research and consider the information provided, but how does that compare with actually doing it and getting proof in the results?

I'm going to just throw this out there but it doesn't appear to matter if you have holes or not. I feed very moist food so the holes work well for my bin draining off excess moisture. Len doesn't have holes and his bins do well too. I guess holes or no holes is your choice.

Second Hand Pat
09-27-2013, 10:27 PM

Like Len I have not drilled holes either. The lids are not tightly closed and the worm are doing great. I have maintained my bins this way for almost two years now.

arman
09-28-2013, 06:26 PM
in my opinion,even if the bin is made out of air-permeable materials like some kind of plastics or compressed pongs,it would be better to have holes to ventilate.yes sir i did use them before and there will be less stingy odors and better media conditions.well and i guess Cathy after thousands worm has cultured and grew ,can say:make holes!
simplyworms!;)

musicmarn1
09-29-2013, 02:35 AM
And for white worms, where is the white worm bible? I'm failing to get them to multiply in potting soil, they are in a cool place and feeding cat food or bread with yogurt and failing miserably !

dirtyplants
10-02-2013, 04:50 PM
OMG, I ordered some reds. I tried one on my discus who eats only when he has to. Well he eyed it, moved his little red eyes around and around and then quicker than I could blink, bingo, it was in his mouth I never saw him eat anything down so fast. Lightning quick and then asked for more! Sold me!

musicmarn1
10-03-2013, 02:37 AM
wooohooooo !!! thats so awesome, i got mine going but not fed them yet, trying to read more and more about keeping them going and giving them things that are healthy for discus to eat, by eating them! cant wait to see my guys get their first worm feast, did you chop them up (eeep im a softie) or just throw them in whole? how much did you wash them first?

joanstone
10-03-2013, 09:34 AM
I keep my white worms in with my red wrigglers in a big cement mixing tub. It is covered loosely with a couple of styrofoam tops. They multiply best at cool temps and I keep them in the section of our garage that is heated to 50 degrees in the winter. They were fine this summer, but didn't go crazy multiplying when it was warm. I used to keep them in smaller containers with prepared bread spread with yogurt with Brewer's yeast on top. I found it easier to keep them in with the wigglers and feed left overs like lettuce, carrots, corn, celery, etc. though. I have found that they go nuts for certain other foods. Avocado and melon seem to be two favorites. Putting in favorite foods like that make them easier to harvest. They like to be kept wetter than you might think too. This has worked for me for some time now, I have millions in the tub. They make for great food for almost every fish I have (kinda small for my hairy puffer, but he sure does love to suck down the red wrigglers). My discus love to suck them out of a feeding cone. It keeps them busy for quite a while.

joanstone
10-03-2013, 11:12 AM
One way I harvest them is to put a clump of them into a wide container and add water to it. The white worms will crawl up the sides to get out of the water and it it leaves the dirt behind. Just scrape off and feed.

DiscusLoverJeff
10-03-2013, 12:14 PM
Good advice Joan. They must be little guys to use a worm feeding cone?

joanstone
10-03-2013, 01:05 PM
The worms I'm talking about for the cone are the white worms, so all sizes of white worms work.

Len
10-03-2013, 03:16 PM
Marnie, for white worms, try using a mix of peat and potting soil. I just use peat and they are pretty easy to cultivate. Keep them at 60F ish and feed them bread dampened with water, some flake food, plain oats, dry baby cereal or even plain rice. I don't ofetn use yogurt because it seems to go bad quickly and starts to make the bedding smell. They multiply like crazy and I have to seperate some out and make new cultures or the culture becomes too overcrowded. Until they really get going feed them sparingly and increase the food gradually so that they eat it all with a day or two and you'll be amazed at the results. Hope that helps some.

Len
10-03-2013, 03:21 PM
in my opinion,even if the bin is made out of air-permeable materials like some kind of plastics or compressed pongs,it would be better to have holes to ventilate.yes sir i did use them before and there will be less stingy odors and better media conditions.well and i guess Cathy after thousands worm has cultured and grew ,can say:make holes!
simplyworms!;)

I guess I better tell my worms that they aren't supposed to be multiplying as quickly and that they should smell bad then. It's going to be a disappointment to them finding out they have been doing it wrong for the past couple years lol. Seriously though if you want to use holes, theres no harm -- just use them. I choose not to because they haven't been necessary. Whatever feels best for you is what you should do.

paulW
04-29-2014, 08:37 AM
Just a note.
I got a starter culture of red wigglers from a local source.
I had my bin of bedding and food, had let it start to decompose for about 3 weeks, all ready to go.
The bin started out clean.
I dumped my starter culture in, which contained some shredded paper and castings.
What a mistake.. my bin quickly became overrun with maggots and small flies from the starter culture.
I had hoped to keep these in the basement, but I really can't with flies.

So the lesson here is. When you get your starter culture, separate the worms. Maybe even wash them.
You don't want to get all the bugs and stuff from the other guy's culture :(

I'm hoping that after a month or so outside, I can pull a few red wigglers out and start them in a new bin and have a clean culture.
Really annoying. And the guy was expensive too.. That's what I get for trying to support a local business instead of mail ordering them, I guess.

SnapScott
08-17-2014, 04:36 PM
Good Info, thanks everyone.

paulW
08-22-2014, 11:48 AM
Good Info, thanks everyone.

I think I am going to abandon my worms
I tried twice, got overrun with fruit flies both times.
Now the bin is outside and doing fine. I might try to save the bin this fall by putting it in the garage with styrofoam around it to try to keep it warm.

But I guess here's the point.. after paying for the bin, starter culture , blender (optional, but really helps to blend their food).. man, that's a lot of frozen food I could've bought.

I know it works for other people, but I guess I would only recommend culturing these if you can keep them outside year round.

korbi_doc
08-22-2014, 12:19 PM
Paul, these are great food & discus love the smaller white ones, & are worth the trouble, IMO....lol.... Get one of the"mite" hangers they use in bird cages... They will help eradicate the flies.... Tape or stick it to cover so no contact with soil...there are other options, look 'round the internet, can't think of more right now...Dottie

LizStreithorst
08-25-2014, 01:02 PM
I keep mine in the fish room and have no fruit flies. Perhaps you are feeding too much or keeping the culture too moist. Just guessing.

adapted
08-25-2014, 04:31 PM
I think I am going to abandon my worms
I tried twice, got overrun with fruit flies both times.
Now the bin is outside and doing fine. I might try to save the bin this fall by putting it in the garage with styrofoam around it to try to keep it warm.

But I guess here's the point.. after paying for the bin, starter culture , blender (optional, but really helps to blend their food).. man, that's a lot of frozen food I could've bought.

I know it works for other people, but I guess I would only recommend culturing these if you can keep them outside year round.

I wonder if it would help to cover their food with an inch or so of bedding matieral. When I have fruit flies it seems to be because I got lazy and didn't cover up banana peels etc.

paulW
08-26-2014, 03:13 PM
Thanks everyone for the advice.
Maybe I did have the material too wet.
I actually tried to stop feeding them people food.. I was feeding them bunny poop and straw, which was great for the worms, but even with that, I still got tons of fruit flies.

It was fun growing the worms, the flies just made it a bad experience overall, but I'm glad it's working for other people.

I hung up several strips of fly paper, but the things just bred too fast lol.. Like I had hundreds, if not thousands of them before I gave up and moved the worms outside.

amityadav
01-06-2015, 11:15 PM
My discus fish only eat small baby red wigglers. I no longer try to feed them the big ones.

Tankster
01-07-2015, 01:52 PM
I am considering this. Does anyone have a link to the scientific breakdown on nutrition content?

mlov1022
01-07-2015, 04:19 PM
I tried to keep red wigglers. Kept a bin in my basement and ended up getting infested with soldier flies, and freaked out because they look like black hornets.

amityadav
01-11-2015, 03:58 PM
my discus do not eat red wigglers. i think they are too big for them to eat.

RogueDiscus
02-08-2015, 09:14 PM
http://i1313.photobucket.com/albums/t549/smartinich/th_038_zpspdngwabm.mp4 (http://i1313.photobucket.com/albums/t549/smartinich/038_zpspdngwabm.mp4)
I don't know if this works, but...

Second Hand Pat
02-09-2015, 03:46 PM
http://i1313.photobucket.com/albums/t549/smartinich/th_038_zpspdngwabm.mp4 (http://i1313.photobucket.com/albums/t549/smartinich/038_zpspdngwabm.mp4)
I don't know if this works, but...

It does. You need to click on it to see the video.