PDA

View Full Version : Update on Frank

richgrenfell
08-26-2003, 07:45 PM
Being that some LI fellas have stepped up to the plate, it looks like I won't need to make the trip from CT. I just talked to Frank on the phone. He seems to be feeling better, and hopes to be home in a couple of days. He also talked his wife through some water changes and she feels alright with them. She was doing them when I called! LOL!
Anyway, just figured i'd let you folks know what was going on.

Rich

jeep
08-26-2003, 07:48 PM
That's great news!

I'm sure once he gets back to his fish he'll be better in no time!

Brian

Tad
08-26-2003, 09:00 PM
Rich and Jeep,
Judi and I just got off the phone with Frank and he sounds much better today......the Nurses have given him sedatives so he doesnt start throwing bed pans :-\......Hes hoping to be home by Thursday...

Get better soon Frank!
Tad

brewmaster15
08-26-2003, 10:53 PM
I sure hope they have a fish tank on that hospitol floor!!

-al

08-26-2003, 11:06 PM
What's happening to his old ticker? Infarcted or not? No more Beefheart just some oatmeal and wheat germ with Pirulina flakes and Naturose. Hope he doesn't need an Angiogram done. Tell Frank to request insertion through the radial artery. Not fermoral artery which is less invasive and he can do W/C right away.
Jimmy.

08-27-2003, 12:12 AM
Quote : "Nurses have given him sedatives so he doesnt start throwing bed pans "

LOL he is getting better, no doubt about that. ;D

Just hope the don't get the idea of serving him beans, that will make his day ;D

Ronald

Jean
08-27-2003, 03:24 AM
;DTad! That is fantastic news! Throwing bed pans~ awesome!!!!!
I was an icu nurse for 15years or so and that, and tossing iv pumps is a sure sign of a full recovery! no kidding! Or on the other hand it is a sure sign of what I termed "icu-itis"! ;)

JimmyL heart disease and hypertension (high blood pressure) are two completely different things. You are talking about treatment for heart disease :) If you would like to learn more; ask me. I can get windy on such topics! :P So I will spare all the details and avoid the public service announcement!(tho I am sure many could use hearing it!) ;D

Most importantly tho is that hypertension is a 'silent killer'... it can go undetected for a long time. Get yours and your loved ones checked regularly. The implications of untreated hypertension (high blood pressure) can be devastating. Frank was pretty lucky so far. He just needs to work on his listening skills now and stickin with the program! ;D

Jean ;D 8)

08-27-2003, 08:15 AM
Thanks Jean ;D What caused Hypertension? If it's unrelated to the heart, could it be caused by his abnormal brain? :P Just kidding!!
Hypertension is a leading cause of Cardiac infraction. Frank will be thoroughtly investgated what have caused the problem. The course of treatment besides medications will be an echocardiagram, cardiac stress, doppler and finally Angiogram and Angioplasty to follow if proven neccessary. Actually, I have to prepare a lecture in the Cardiac rehab center for managing alpha and beta drugs for Cardiac patients with bronchial Asthma and hypersentive airway disease since both medcations are antagonistic to each others. It has to be skillfully done to achieve the goal.
Jimmy.

Jean
08-27-2003, 03:25 PM
;DNot agruing with ya here Jimmy, but it maybe a difference in health care systems or region, but hypertension is not nec a reason for cardiac catherization. Related; yes, since one will impact the other. Trying to keep it simple for the average reader here tho.

cardiac infarction=heart attack=myocardidal infarction
hypertension= high blood pressure

I think it is a good idea in most cases to do what you say(coarse of diagnosics and treatment), but in reality that is not nec something that is done, least around here unless there are other factors involved be it strong family history, signs, symptoms etc of cardiac compromise.

For those not versed here is a simplied train of thought : the reason hypertension can lead to cardiac problems is due to the fact that the heart is having to pump into a high pressure area.. leading to more work for the heart... leading to more cardiac requirements. Imaine your tank pumps.. pumping air into an air stone at the top of your tank- the air flows easliy... now at 6" in..depending on the pump.. maybe less air now...the pump has more 'pressure from the water to over come... deeper and deeper.. pretty soon the pump isn't doing a job at all moving air. Now the heart and our body pressures are much more dynamic and compensatory than this analogy, but in educating patients simplified is most often times more tolerable/understood :P
Now from here it goes into many things such as existing cardiac disease; be it electrical or mechanical or the 'plumbing' of the heart, other existing conditions, diabetes,... wow could go on forever; mulit factoral.. it gets complicated.

Hypertension can be sole existing...without anyother health issues per se. Not always, but it can be.

Regardless; take care of yourselves, get check ups and know the signs and symptoms.

Jean ;D 8)

PS Jimmy, the presentation sounds interesting! I am sure u will do super!

barron
08-27-2003, 04:05 PM
Hi Jean

I agree with all you said.

Also kidney damage and strokes are a concern.

As well as heart failure the left vent. enlarges do to the pressure over time.

Causes of high blood pressure are unknown in most cases.

The tyroid and renal systems are the causes in so cases.
They are over looked by most M.D.s.

As well as blockages can be the cause. This seems to be the first and only place most look.

Wife is Med Surg./Heart tele Charge RN. Which made me a P.A.. ;D

Barron :)

Jean
08-27-2003, 05:22 PM
Yep Barron!!

U are right ... essential hypertension...

Just talked to Frank on the phone... he has had some of the renal (kidney) studies done from what I can decifer through him. No heart related stuff other than your basic EKG = ECG(electrocardiogram)this shows the electrical conductance of the heart and some other info can also be read by one who is trained. Not always definitive either tho.

Lots of blood work... he thinks he may be out of blood now! lol (all patients feel that way... "what ANOTHER blood sample?".. if I had a nickel... heck a penny! ;))

He wasn't 100% postive on his blood pressure values currently, but they were high comin in.. whew! Waiting to see what his pressure does with activity now... maybe...likely home tomorrow he said according to the Dr.

Still feeling a bit wiped out he said.
Still having trouble understanding plain english- like normal people speak from WI!

Frank is Frank.

Jean ;D 8)

barron
08-27-2003, 05:47 PM
Hi Jean

Great news.

You need to watch the white coat syndrome.

I like a good long baseline before making a call.

Some doctors after one or two high reading tag you.

Seen that happen with family and myself.

However I am taking atenolol pres. never was high. I got a blockage in the lower rca and left decending. No pta yet hopefuly never. Loved my steaks and and and.

Barron :)

Jean
08-27-2003, 08:14 PM
;DAnother valid point-

My mother has 'white coat syndrome' big time! Auto cuff and my readings are great at her home... get her in a clinic or hospital zoooooooooooooom up she goes!

It is known, so they don't go by those numbers, as they know she is getting more 'normal for her' values at home.
I try to make all her appts with her, it seems to lessen her anxiety and there is alot she misses- she is getting up there in the numbers.

Really a good idea to have decent cuff at home to check from time to time.

Jean ;D 8)

Tad
08-27-2003, 08:39 PM
Speaking of White Coats ;D,
Just had a short conversation with Frank who is now contemplating attacking his roomate who keeps calling him "Tom" :o....
Things are more stable for him today and possibly home tomorrow...He definately wants to get home as hes tired of talking to ME ;D ;D ;D ;D
Tad

keith_cny
08-28-2003, 01:52 AM
Good Luck Fran,

Hope to hear you made it home today!!

Keith

daninthesand
08-28-2003, 01:09 PM
Get well soon Frank.

Daniel

April
08-28-2003, 07:18 PM
perhaps they do more tests in canada than they do in the states..as we have government health care?
maybe thats the reason jimmy says they'd do all those tests....and Jean says they wouldnt??? just a guess here.
my sister teaches critical care nursing and does workshops in canada and does some work for the states.
im sure she even does them at Jimmys hospital. ;D
hope your home now Frank. and hope you behave yourself and do everything those nice doctors tell you to do..so you can stay home.
your fishies need you. :fish:
such a relaxing hobby..

DiscusBob
08-29-2003, 12:26 AM
Hope you feel better soon, Frank.

You'll be pleased to know the PBs and Goldens are getting big and round!

I might be moving soon, so when I'm settled, I might need some more babies to raise!

DiscusBob

Tad
08-29-2003, 11:59 AM
Update,
Just talked to Frank's lovely wife ;) and she informed me that Frank just got home this morning and is feeling fine and should be logging on the computer sometime this morning ;D....

Tad

keith_cny
08-29-2003, 12:11 PM
Glad to hear your home Frank!

Hope everything is fine now and you get back to normal quickly!

Take care of yourself.

Keith

Ardan
08-29-2003, 07:02 PM
Glad to hear you are doing better Frank!!

Don't overdo it now! ;)

Aquarius
08-29-2003, 07:50 PM
Tom, glad your home and doing better!

Take Care

Oh, wait , that's Frank :)

Barb Newell
08-29-2003, 08:18 PM
Hi Frank, I'm glad to hear that you're home, I bet you are too! :thumbsup:

Take care,

Barb :)

08-29-2003, 08:24 PM
Glad you Home Frank,

and why in the world do you want to be called Tom now ??? ??? ??? ???

Ronald ;D

Tad
08-29-2003, 08:34 PM
Ronald,
You can call Frank "Tom" "Hon" or even "Joann" but dont tell him I told you ;D

Doctor fixed a few things :P ;D

Tad ???

08-29-2003, 08:40 PM
LOL,
Ok Tad I wont tell him so he won't know whatever hit him lol. :P

Gotta love those Doc's. Fixing more then they would have to. ;D

Ronald :)