PDA

View Full Version : Discus and earthquakes

iceskater
08-27-2003, 09:02 AM
Morning,
Well my fish survived there first earthquake. You would not believe the splashing it caused in the water. It was a small earthquake, I worry about what a larger one would do...

Karen

DarkDiscus
08-27-2003, 11:31 AM
Karen,

Earthquakes can be a real challenge for fish keepers! My friend had 3 150 gallon tanks go over a few years back losing a lot of fish and suffering some major damage - but then again the earthquake did a lot of damage to his place by itself.

Here in Connecticut we are blessed not to get much in the way of earthquakes, but a year ago we had a tiny one - something that Californians would scoff at, and even that sloshed some water onto the floor!

John

oodi
08-27-2003, 12:26 PM
John,

We Californian's love to shake, rattle and roll!! ;D

In all seriousness... for the most part, the earthquakes here are not as bad, or as frequent as non-Californian's seem to think think they are.

Judi
:)

Carol_Roberts
08-27-2003, 12:56 PM
Oh no, Karen :o
Were you home when it happened?

iceskater
08-27-2003, 10:39 PM
Hi Carol,.

Yes I was home. It was about 11pm last night. The first thing I thought about was the fish when I felt the jolt then I heard the water rattle. They did not seem to mind, but I did turn on the light to see how they were doing.

It was a little one 3.8 most people did not even feel it. We have had much much worse. Just didn't have the fish then....

Reminder to self: The tank will not fall I think, so make sure nothing is around that will fall on top of it. Well everything but the roof.

I am going to clean those filters this weekend so I will be in touch on any details I may need to know..

Karen

Carol_Roberts
08-28-2003, 12:28 AM
I'll be home all weekend Karen. Cleaning tanks, checking the board and babysitting the grandkids - my idea of a fun weekend ;D