PDA

View Full Version : Colors and Patterns starting to develop

Tad
08-27-2003, 09:57 PM
Thought I would share some pics from my 135 that currently is housing 24 of Cary's babies that We have raised from a Nickle and Dime size....They are always changing and developing alot of different patterns and their colors are intensifying.. ;D

This pic was taken from the end of the 6 foot aquarium as its hard to get all of them in from a front view!

Tad

Tad
08-27-2003, 09:58 PM
;D

Tad
08-27-2003, 09:59 PM
Last one,
I really like the Snakes...they are becoming my favorites..

Regards,
Tad ;D

FischAutoTechGarten
08-27-2003, 10:02 PM
Let's discuss your housekeeping. I think I found a spec of something on your sponge filter.

Orient
08-27-2003, 10:17 PM
Wow..

Thats a very clean tank... ;D

Fishes look very good too :sun:

oodi
08-27-2003, 10:21 PM
LOL...

Peter,

Tad was complaining just before he posted the pics, about how dirty the tank was ???

Judi
:)

OEG
08-27-2003, 11:26 PM
Tad,
youve got a great bunch of fish there, I as you like the Snake Skins, there red is looking verry nice also like the blue on them. Are those SS's a cross or are they just SS's?
They look like a cross between a RSG and a SS. What ever they are they great.
OEG

Tad
08-27-2003, 11:40 PM
Oscar,
What I recall is that the Snakes are crossed with Snowflakes...but you got to remember "Im an old man" and my memory dont work as well as it used too.. ;D

Tad

dalelad
08-28-2003, 12:18 AM
snakeskins have a history of being mutants. 14-bar fishes are mutants. a thai? discovered 4 mutants among his turquoise fries (back 15 yrs?) and grew and bred these fishes. they passed hands and so about 2-3 breeders had the mutants. later, they were out-crossed.. and there the snakeskins were derived.

Carol_Roberts
08-28-2003, 12:38 AM
They are growing out nicely. I think clean tanks like that make a difference - or maybe it's just the time spent observing and caring for the fish . . .

I see you use the blue fluval sponge for a prefilter on the aqua clear too. (first picture). I can't find them here anymore, but Karen (Iceskater) found me several boxes in California for me. They are a perfect fit and easy to remove for cleaning.

oodi
08-28-2003, 10:35 AM
Hi Carol,

We recently got more from Big Al's. I couldn't come up with a workable link, but going to the site, and doing a search for "fluval internal" will bring up the different sizes available.

Judi

henryD
08-28-2003, 11:40 AM
Wow that is an awesome tank. I love the different colors. All seem to be developing nicely...

Tad,

Come on admit it. You must of clean the tank before taking a picture.....come on.....

Either way. that is one clean tank. Can you tell me what you use to paint the bottom? I like the looks of it. Sort of stone colored. Also do you know if it will be safe for acrylics? I want to paint some of the acrylics I am getting that color...

Henry

oodi
08-28-2003, 11:49 AM
Henry,

Honestly... the tank had not been cleaned.

As for the bottom of that tank... we use American Accents Stone Creations spray paint. Since doing that tank, we now paint both the outside bottom and the back of the tanks. It's much easier than using a background.

FYI: The color used for this tank is a dark brown... but when filled with water, it looks like a sand color. The dark green color turns a very pretty blue.

Judi

chinoz
08-28-2003, 11:49 AM
wow nice collection TAD

henryD
08-28-2003, 12:02 PM
Judi,

I have seen most of the pics of your tank from post at other forums. I have to say that they always look clean. So I have no doubt that it is usually that way.

If Icould get my tank that clean it would be great.....

PS... right now my bathroom looks like yours with all the barrels and water equipments. Well my barrel are white instead of blue..

oodi
08-28-2003, 12:09 PM
lol... I guess bathrooms with barrels goes with the territory.

If you are serious about trying out that paint, I'll post a pic with one of the tanks painted with the green. As I said... the color on the can, is NOT always the color that it will look like, after the tank is full. BUT... we haven't been disappointed.

Judi

henryD
08-28-2003, 12:29 PM
Judi,

That would be great if you can. I also have some glass tanks that I will redo this long weekend. Planning to reorganize and such. So even if the paint does not work for acrylics I will use it on my glass tanks.

Thanks again....Great to have you guys around....

Henry

oodi
08-28-2003, 12:37 PM
Here goes, Henry...

You've alreadys seen what the dark brown looks like... here is the dark green...

Jeffery_Doty
08-28-2003, 12:38 PM
Tad and Judi,

Your discus are looking great! Good job! You have done an excellent job of rearing those guys, they look fat and healthy. And that tank is spotless!

Jeff
Oregon

oodi
08-28-2003, 12:39 PM
and here is the sand color, which looks just like the dark brown after the tank is filled...

I've others say that they have found a wide variety of colors at their local stores. I guess we're pretty limited here... we've only been able to find 3 colors.

Judi

oodi
08-28-2003, 12:42 PM
Thanks, Jeff...

You know Tad's motto... CLEAN, CLEAN, CLEAN and CLEAN SOME MORE!!

Judi
;D

henryD
08-28-2003, 02:35 PM
Thanks again....and if you ever get bored or run out of tanks to clean. Your welcome here on the east coast any time....

If I was in a giving mode I may even decide to feed you...

oodi
08-28-2003, 02:39 PM
LOL...

Thanks, Henry... you just never know where Tad and I may turn up!!

Judi
;D

CARY_GLdiscus
08-28-2003, 04:54 PM
MAN O MAN,

Tad + Judi know the score! You guys are Doing a great Job!
Growing them Boys and Girls Out!

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!

Your New Friend ;)
Cary
Hee.Hee.Hee.

oodi
08-28-2003, 04:56 PM
LOL Cary...

We're trying... they sure look a lot different that when you sent them to us, don't they?

Your old and new friend ;D

Judi

Ramon Anastacio
08-28-2003, 05:06 PM
Tad and Judi,
Very nice!
It's good to see you two posting again. :)
Ramon

oodi
08-28-2003, 05:09 PM
Thanks, Ramon...

It's good to be here!

Judi

Tad
08-28-2003, 11:18 PM
OD "Peter", Orient, HenryD, Carol and Jeff Doty, I have to admit I am "AR" about keeping our tanks as clean as possible... the tanks are spread thoughout the living areas of our home and I love the look of clean tanks....I also agree with Carol...I think it improves their health and well being, having a clean home :)...Our discus are so used of my arms and hands in the tanks from cleanings and scrubbings, that they come up to my hand and rub against it all of the time... ;D

OEG "Oscar", TnT, Ramon and others thanks for the positive comments on this grouping of fish...I am very excited about how they are developing and look forward to someday getting some great breeding pairs out of this collection ;D

Cary thanks for your observations/feedback, on how our discus husbandry is coming along...Its always good to have great guidence and help from lots of people on the forum and the best approach is starting out with Excellent Stock....Many thanks for providing us with both!

PS: Henry Im sure you would be happy with the American Accents paint, one of our tanks a 46 bowfront is painted with the dark brown on the bottom and the backing (when filled with water it takes on a light beige color)...I happened to put in the most peppered of our PBs and you wouldnt believe the transformation and how clean they are in that tank...great stuff in my opinion...I personally, really like the green version as it gives a blue patina look to the tank and I feel its great!.....JMO ;)

Thanks to all of you,
Tad ;)

paulmat
08-29-2003, 08:23 PM
Tad And Judi

They are looking great, and turning out nicely :bounce:

Paul :guitarist:

Tad
08-29-2003, 08:38 PM
Paul,
Thanks bud, dont know if you noticed in post 17 on this thread that one of your RSG crosses is in the front right... ;D..your babies are doing great too ;)

Tad

tony1313
08-29-2003, 09:36 PM
I think you have every color in the BIG crayola box covered in that 135! ;D

:thumbsup:
Tony

outlawpc
08-29-2003, 10:01 PM
American Accents paint

Very nice looking. . . where do they sell it?

Tad
08-29-2003, 10:05 PM
Outlawpc,

Home Depot or Orchard supply....I suspect Lowes carries this product too...

PS: I recall its a Rustoleum product

HTH,
Tad

outlawpc
08-29-2003, 10:11 PM
Thanks Tad. . . I'll head on down to Home Depot tomorrow :)

Anything special you do to the tank bottom before you paint?

Tad
08-29-2003, 10:17 PM
Outlaw,
Nothing special except clean and dry...I have found it takes at least 3 coats of this product to get a good cover....I normally put 4 coats on the backing. Example of coverage: for a 39 gallon tank to cover the bottom and back I will use two cans of this product....cost should be just under $12 dollars ...seems pricey but IMO its well worth it....Also I use the more natural color stone browns especially the darker colored browns as they will lighten up with aquarium lights...I only experimented with the Green just to see what would happen, and its become one of my favorites especially for blue fish...In the future I will try some of the other available stone creation colors just to cure my curiosity LOL!!!!

PS: mask the tank well, but if you have overspray a razor blade does wonders ;)
HTH,
Tad

Tad
08-29-2003, 10:28 PM
Outlaw,
Heres a pic of one of the GLD Tangerines that I had in a 55 prior to moving back into the 135 gallon tank. If you notice The American Accents paint is different and is the Green patina that I mentioned...looks great against an Orange discus too ;)

JMO.
Tad

Discus_KC
08-30-2003, 12:58 AM
Tad and Judi,

Great job raising those discus !!!!!! You care is really showing !!!!!!!! Be proud of your accomplishments !!!!!!

It's great to see you both posting !!!!!!! You've both been a great support to me !!!!!!!!And I so very much appreciate it !!!!!!!!

Jack

outlawpc
08-30-2003, 09:54 AM
Thanks Tad!

I think I may go with the dark brown as you suggested. Guess I'm just conservative ;D

I have a new 125 coming in the next few weeks and will give it a try on the bottom. I think I may still go with a background that gives the semblence of nature. I've found that by adding plastic plants that adhere to the back inside of the tank that it adds sort of a realistic 3-D effect to a sterile looking bare-bottom tank and yet still allows me to keep things spotless. With your idea of painting the bottom to give a gravel affect, it will turn out looking great!

Thanks again. . . I can hardly wait to see how it turns out :)

oodi
08-30-2003, 10:14 AM
Jack,

I wish we could do more!!

Stay safe...

Judi

crazy4discus
08-30-2003, 09:05 PM
very sexy gj guys

breed_beyond
08-30-2003, 10:38 PM
What's this green patina color? I went to the store and checked their website and the only color that was close was the green marble color. BTW I just started painting a 55 gall with the green marble color and am not sure what color i'm gonna paint the bottom. And Tad on the 135 I can't see a center brace on the bottom is there one?

Tad
08-30-2003, 10:43 PM
Brian,
Green patina is my term I used to describe the look !!...its probably the green marble that you picked up....patina relates to the color of metals like copper that oxidize over time...Im sure you have seen this color as it is much like what the color will end up looking in your tank when filled with water..

As for the 135 there is no bottom brace but 3 large top bridges..

Tad

oodi
08-30-2003, 11:02 PM
Ok,

So we can be accurate on the color choices available for American Accents Stone Creations, here is the link to the webiste:

http://www.rust-oleum.com/product.asp?frm_product_id=16&SBL=1

Judi

breed_beyond
08-30-2003, 11:05 PM
LOL, I should have linked it. Oh well Judi is always there to the rescue. So how many cans does it take to coat a 55 back bottom and sides? 3-4....
Also is there anyway to get a bottom trim peice off? I have done it when replacing trim on a 20 gall but never on a 55.

Tad
08-30-2003, 11:10 PM
Brian,
I would think 4 cans to be safe...now your looking at somewhere around $25.....as for the bottom brace....I think its something that you have to live with...on my 46 Bow I was able to pry it up a little and spray under it...got almost 85 percent coverage but the brace is still evident in some places...IMO just spray around it and the look wont be that bad...

Tad

breed_beyond
08-30-2003, 11:16 PM
I get the paint for $4 a can it's good the have friends relatives that work at bi-mart wal-mart etc....