PDA

View Full Version : Questions even before I start

Poot
08-28-2003, 09:00 AM
Hi Guys, i've been reading as much as i can of these great threads and not sure whether i'm encouraged or daunted. Im setting up a 45 gal (UK) tank which is going to be planted and have a school or cardinals and some corys. I'd like to have some discus, but i wont be shelling out a fortune and so hope to get maybe 4 small ones. So, the questions, does this sound feasible, will the small discus be okay in a planted tank.

Also it seems that the PH doesnt appear to be crucial and that stability is. A guy at the LFS recommends using RO water, shall i just not bother and add tap (probably around 7 ish PH), does the hardness matter at all?

Having seen teh enthusiasm you guys have, im not sure i'll get that dedicated (but i bet thats what you all said) So any tips for someone just starting out who in reality doesnt want a BB tank and constant water changes?

ronrca
08-28-2003, 10:11 AM
Welcome to simplydiscus! Id like to mention that you will make a good discus keeper as you are asking questions before you are 'diving' into it! Thats a very good sign! Welcome aboard!

Everyone dream (well, a lot of people) is to have a beautiful planted tank. Starting correctly is the most important step because it will determine if you will keep it or not.

does this sound feasible, will the small discus be okay in a planted tank.
It is possible to have small discus in a planted tank. However, the problem is that they most likely will stay small. This is due to the lack of water changes and massive food quantities. I would recommend spending a little more money and buying larger discus around 4-5". You will be much happier. Another advantage with larger discus is that you dont have to do such large water changes as you would with smaller discus.

About the water, stability is the most important, not ph/hardness/etc! You only have to worry about hardness if you intend on breeding!

Another method you can do is going with a planted tank but not gravel. Use potted plants and plants on driftwood. This will achieve a close look of a planted tank but without the messy gravel part. Just a thought! ;)

angel12
08-28-2003, 11:38 AM
whilst not improbable to raise young discus in a Planted Tank it is however Impractical due to the amount of food you will need to feed them in order to grow them on and being able to get at the debris left behind ....IMOH id stick with the above suggestion of saving and getting larger Discus it will be easier in the long term if you do not want to do lots of water changes .... However I must stress that water changes(more frequantly than any other ) especialy were Discus are concerned is the Norm rather than the exception..

Stable PH Good Food and Excellent water conditions NO ammonia nitrite and very little nitrate are in the main what you need to keep these sucesfully.
Good Luck

:)

DarkDiscus
08-28-2003, 01:53 PM
The time to ask questions IS before you start!

My personal suggestion would be either to:

A) Buy large discus, as has been said or
B) Try another species of fish that is more forgiving

THere have been a ton of posts on the benefits of bare bottom tanks, so I won't go back into that topic. I personally feel that a novice discuskeeper will have a really hard time trying to grow young fish in a planted tank - especially if he expects full sized, gorgeous discus.

Please read up as much as you can and ask more questions before you decide what to do!

Good luck!

John

Mykiss
08-29-2003, 03:08 AM
Yup, I'd agree with all the above statements. If you plan on getting very small discus i.e. 1-2 inches, you will need a lot of work such as constant water changes, proper feeding, monitoring water chemistry etc... As the fish get older (large) they are a bit more forgiving however it does not mean that you can niglect them. I would say, maybe buy fewer but larger discus for the planted tank. I know from my friends that a planted tank looks nice, gives shelter for the fish, extracts nutrients from the water etc.... but its sucks to clean on a regular basis.
It is hard enough to care for small discus and grow them to adult size, but to do that in a planted tank is a lot of work....but still possible. Cheers
PT

Poot
08-29-2003, 04:30 AM
Thanks for the info guys, i appreciate it, so basically, young discus stuff their faces, cause an almighty mess and send the nitrates sky high, where as the adults are a bit more responsible, eat all their food and arent as fussy...

ronrca
08-29-2003, 09:56 AM
Well, yes and no! The adults go do not feed as often (2-4x/day) as with youny discus (4-8x/day). Because of this lesser feeding amount, water changes can be curtailed. For example, young discus water changes amount from 50%-100% daily. Adults 25% daily to 50% every second to third day (whatever the case may be).

I would not necessarily say that adults are more responible and eat all their food. While this can be the case, often it is not (especially bloodworms).

Smokey
08-29-2003, 01:09 PM
As one notable breeder once told me > GET THE **** OUT OF THE TANK <.
And every one will be happier!

I believe this to be true.
Haveing tried and experimented with all sorts of setups/systems/materials/ideas/suggestions; I feel I can state the fact - a clean tank is healther and safer.

However - a fully landscaped tank, with towering plants is certainly a sight to behold.

Smokey
PS - fry are poop machines; food in - waste out. EH!