PDA

View Full Version : Help! Discus under attack

dgmckay
09-01-2003, 01:07 AM
First of all, hello... I'm brand new here as a registered member, although I've been reading the forums for a while as a guest.

I have a red tourquoise discus in a planted 40G 36" x 18" tank. His/her tank mates are 7 neon tetras, 3 black <i>neon</i> tetras and a mated pair of German blue rams. The discus followed 3 of the neon tetras in to the tank about 3 months ago. The rest of the fish, including the rams, have been in the tank about 1 1/2 months.

The problem I'm having is that all of a sudden, the rams are becoming quite aggressive towards the discus. This is interesting, because the discus used to be the aggressor. The discus is about 3 1/2" across, and the rams are about an inch a piece. The discus used to have free reign of the tank, even after the rams were added (one was added, and then a couple of weeks later the second was added). The rams had even paired up and mated without problems, although their eggs were laid and fertilized only to be followed up by the Great 2003 blackout, during which the eggs just disappeared. Judging by the behaviour of the rams and the colour and size of the female's belly, they're ready to mate to again. I believe this is the reason for their increased aggression.

The discus is still eating (like a pig), happily sucking back Hikari discus pellets, various frozen foods (discus delight, blood worms, beef heart, even brine shrimp and bits of flake food for the tetras that sink from the surface). BUT... while feeding, the rams are both nipping at him. He fights back sometimes, but sometimes he just swims away and hunkers down in the corner of the tank until he spots some open water to get back at the food. Also, the tank is situated near my work desk and the discus used to come over and hang out by the glass nearest me when I was around (likely hoping I'd feed his insatiable appetite). Trouble is, the rams have taken up residence in this part of the tank and when he swims over now he gets attacked.

Is there anything I can do about this? It doesn't seem to be a big deal right now. The rams don't seem to be harming the discus in any visible way (no nipped fins, etc.) and the discus is still happily eating.

Any help appreciated. Oh, and pics of the discus in question are available here ---> http://www.mindmess.com/freshwatertank/discus.html

Thanks!

/Dave

CARY_GLdiscus
09-01-2003, 10:51 AM
IMPE

This is very normal for breeding rams. Even though they are little buggers the pair will fight off anymone even if 10xs there size who wonders to close to their spawning site.

hth
Cary Gld!

Jeffery_Doty
09-01-2003, 10:55 AM
Dave,

Cary is right. The rams will defend a territory to protect a spawn, or spawning site. This is natural, and in my opinion, enjoyable to watch. The good news is that they can not damage other fish due to their small size. The only concern is if the discus stops eating and starts hiding all the time. Then you will have to do something, or your discus might be in trouble.

Jeff
Oregon

Willie
09-01-2003, 12:38 PM
Dave;

I'd bet the rams are already guarding a swarm of free swimming fry. That's when they become super aggressive.

Willie

ping
09-01-2003, 01:17 PM
Hi Dave,

I kept discus with blue rams before. I had same problem with you.
It's normal for rams to get aggressive when they breed.

I am agree with Jeff to do something before your discus get into trouble.

IMO, why not covering the tank side closest to your desk with news papers.
So the discus wont see you and wont come to you.
Feed the discus on the other side, but leave some food for rams at their breeding side.

HTH,
Ronny

dgmckay
09-01-2003, 01:56 PM
Thanks for the help! I'm going to cover up the side of the tank nearest me and see how that works.

/Dave