PDA

View Full Version : A BIG SCREW UP.

blackghost
09-01-2003, 11:45 PM
Whata jerk i am :banghead:, i have benn reading about tanin blackwater extract is quit expensive here and the same with eheim peat, no we dont get any other brand here.
So i decided to use tea and guess what,
Now the discus looks like has lost it's mucus coating and are looking dark.
I measured the ph and it was 8.5!!!! :o
i added just a cup of tea extract that shot it up like there is no sky.
imediatley did two water changes 50% each but they are still like that,
Does any body have any experience with tea as tanin.
I think it's the cafaine in tea,
R u suppose to boil the tea in water to get the extract or just hank in the tank.
Guys i could use some help on this tea issue.
I feel so sad for my discus..... :-[

lion
09-02-2003, 10:13 AM
Blackwater extract imo is a waste of money. Peat in South Africa is also very expensive. I use Swimmingpool acid (powderform) It cost me R28 (=$4 US) for 1 kg. It will last me about 5 years.

brewmaster15
09-02-2003, 06:37 PM
Hi Niranjan,
tea maybe similar to blackwater extract in theory but its not the same thing. For one thing there are many kinds of teas... what did you use?

If you are trying to simulate the peat, try dry oak leaves and bark, and that of related species of trees belonging to the genus... Quercus....

http://www.vedamsbooks.com/no11753.htm

Some on the boards have used oak leaves with success. Just experiment and use a little at time.

hth,
al

blackghost
09-03-2003, 12:17 AM
ok i tried tea first dose was too strong gave two water changes now the fishes are fine and they seem to like it.
Yesterday i went to market to find peat but the guy offered me peat moss. Is that of any use in discus tank if yes how to use.
He also showed me powder of coconut hairs which was wetted in water.
But i presume that if it was wetted it may have lost the tanning properties.

beta
09-03-2003, 12:24 AM
Man just use Badam tree leaves, u will get plenty there and its great to soften the water.

blackghost
09-03-2003, 12:33 AM
Are you sure about this, i am hearing this for the first time.
Do you use it if yes whats the process.
Thanks in advance.

blackghost
09-07-2003, 01:11 AM
I kept the moss ( the same u see in the picture) in water overnight the the ph test showed ph 6.5 shuld i used it. It's without fertilizers.
It's the same moss we use in garden tu support weak trees, the one we get tied to the P.V.C. sticks.

shamsoo
09-07-2003, 05:42 AM
Niranjan beta is correct about badam tree leaves, get lot of them green one dry them in shade in few days they will dry and brown use them for softening and acidifying, also coconut hairs will acidify and soften the water, but try it at yr own risk it contains lot of fine dusty particles HTH :D

blackghost
09-07-2003, 11:56 PM
Hi to all
Ok i grt bthr green leaves wash them dry them till here is i get it, but how to put it in water i mean should i put it in my canister filter or just hang it in the tank.

shamsoo
09-08-2003, 10:21 PM
if u have holding tank put some in it otherwise let the float in main tank, but it will better in holding tank where you aerate water HTH