PDA

View Full Version : Brown Algea on the leaves

trucdan
09-03-2003, 03:03 AM
Sorry if this question was asked and answered before. I just like to know how do you get rid of the brown algea which grows on the surface of the leaves. I have some Amazon swords and their leaves are covered with the brown algae.

Note: this is a bare bottom discus tank. The plan is planted in pots.

Thanks for your tips.

TrucDan

angel12
09-03-2003, 03:19 AM
high nitrates and low light - maybe make more water changes and increase the light period or put stronger lights in .. Octacinclus like this kind of alage if you want a natural soloution

;D

ChloroPhil
09-03-2003, 08:32 AM
Pretty much what Angel said....

Increase your plant's ability to uptake the nutrients or do more water changes. Ottocinclus are the natural born killer of soft brown algae.

trucdan
09-03-2003, 03:13 PM
Is it OK to keep Ottocinclus with discus? what species are the most comon Ottocinclus?
Thanks.

TD

ChloroPhil
09-03-2003, 03:51 PM
All ottos are safe with discus. Most stores, if not all, don't differentiate between species, though there are a couple. Don't worry about it too much, an Otto is an Otto. :)

Paulio
09-03-2003, 07:15 PM
high nitrates and low light - maybe make more water changes and increase the light period or put stronger lights in .. Octacinclus like this kind of alage if you want a natural soloution

;D

You can also get serious diatom (brown algae) from high light and lack of nutrients.
Otto's do like the stuff but are NOT always safe with large Discus. Some of them aquire a tasted for Discus slime and *can*cause damage to the skin.

Paulio
09-03-2003, 07:22 PM
All ottos are safe with discus.

Gotta say I dont agree with this. I have had Otocinclus bother Discus to the point they have stopped feeding. It doesnt seem to be determined by what sp of Oto you have. Some just decide they like the taste of Discus slime. I say be carefull. It is very hard to pull an otocinclus from a large planted tank if they are one of the "attack Oto's"

Paul

ping
09-03-2003, 09:14 PM
Hi Paul,

Are you referring to yellow coloured algae eater ? If not mistaken, it is called chinese algae eater. I used to have this inside my old planted tank. It's pain taking them out and they like to eat discus slime.

I have ottocinclus inside a tank, but i am not sure what the exact name. They are fine with discus.

Regards,
Ronny

Paulio
09-04-2003, 12:06 AM
Ping,

CAE get big and aggressive. I am talking about Otocinclus. I have had three different sp of them and only one shows this behavior. The common "Otto" (affinis?) is the culprit. I am not saying it is Taboo I am saying that it does happen. Some are very bold and relentless while others may just grab a snack now and then. If you keep Otocinclus with your Discus I suggest getting yourself a nocturnal light. You might be surprised at what you see those cute little buggers doing.

Paul

ping
09-04-2003, 02:35 AM
Hi Paul,

Thanks... :)
All my discus are in bare bottom tank now. I will sell all other fish (neon, otto, corys and plants) soon.
Need a bigger room for discus ;D... Only discus for time being ... :)

Regards,
Ronny

ChloroPhil
09-04-2003, 08:57 AM
Thanks for the warning Paul! I'll keep a good eye out on my fish.....which are coming in today!!! :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Paulio
09-04-2003, 09:23 AM
Pics Phil! Lots of Pics! You have a gorgeous tank there and I cant wait to see the youngsters cruising it!

Paul

Debbie
09-04-2003, 10:18 PM
I have also had ottos attach to discus. I have had some batches that didn't bother the discus either. Just keep an eye on things, ottos are small and I never saw any damage other than an irritated discus that barred up for a day or so. You would have plenty of time to take the offenders out if need be.

bubabui
09-05-2003, 12:02 PM
Interesting to hear about the ottos. I've got the opposite problem. My lil discus (2"-3") look at ottos as food. They have already snatched one up in my tank. It's interesting to see them "hunt" the ottos and to see the ottos barely escape.