PDA

View Full Version : Got any ideas as to what is causing this

angel12
09-06-2003, 06:11 PM
I dont know if you are familiar with the Jewel Range of Tanks and filters .... However my concern is this

I run my water through an Ro unit yet latley my water seems to have tiny particles wich look like grains of sand floating in the water column and are covering my plants with looks like they have been sprayed with sand ....
At first I thought this might be diatoms - However my lighting period is 12 hrs per day tubes are only 4 months old and i inject Co2 these particles only seem to have appeared over the last month or so yet I Cannot figure out what has caused them .. fish are feeding fine my filters have one main filter that came with the tank and a large sponge driven by air ........ I clean them of debris about 1 every week or 2 weeks making sure I just get rid of the surface debris (obv washing them in water taken from the tank)

if anyone has any ideas as to what has caused this or what I can do to try to reduce it id appreciate it

:)

RAWesolowski
09-09-2003, 11:56 PM
Sounds like a precipitate in your water. Have you taken a clear glass of water from your tap and let it sit to see if the precipitate is from the tap?

Could be scale from your pipes, depending on the age of your residence. Could be calcium or lime, depending on your water supply. If you see it in your glass, take it to be tested at a company that provides water softening units.