PDA

View Full Version : Can I do this ?

angel12
09-06-2003, 06:19 PM
current water is 7.0 ph kh is 1 Gh is 2 conduc is 100ms

I want a BB tank if I was to take the membrane of the Ro unit and just run it through the prefilter and carbon block .. would given that after speaking with my Local water company the water only contains Chlorine this be ok to put into a holding barrel and then use to put in my tank ...

also what is in the waste water outlet - what I mean is can I use the water from the waste outlet to put back into the tank once it has passed through the prefilter and carbon block ......

the only reason I use the membrane is to get rid of the Phosphate that is high in my tap water .... othe than that my water is perfect for Discus and I was thinking if I can do the above and use it to replace water in the Tank I wont have to add a neturalizing chemical to remove the chlorine ....

any advice would be helpfull

09-07-2003, 08:22 PM
OK let's see if I understand you right.

You want to run the water thru a sediment and then a carbon block with out the R/O membrane.

If that is the case you would take care of the chlorine. If you have chloramines (ammonium) you still would have to use a declorinater which take care of that. Prime or Amquel are the most used.
If using a prefilter (sediment, carbon block) you would have no so called waste water.

In case you use a r/o unit, sediment, carbon block and Membrane you will have waste water which from some is used for grow out’s as well as for other fish such as A. Chilids (sp). It is also used for watering plants. (what I do)

hth Ronald

angel12
09-08-2003, 03:32 AM
Thanks for the reply - you understand me correctly (sorry if it was a bit confusing )

so to recap if I was to remove the membrane and run the water through the prefilter and carbon block I could use the outlet water as it will have passed through the carbon taking out the cholrine ??

Thanks for the input

09-08-2003, 03:41 AM
NP :)

Yes it will take out the chlorine.
Just make sure you do not have chloramines in the water.
They come as Ammonium which is harmfull to your fish, but i guess you know that.

Glad to help
Ronald

angel12
09-08-2003, 09:22 AM
em -- im not to up on this chloramine stuff

This is the current set up I have my water goes through an Ro unit nothing else and then I put back essential minerals and salts and add it to the tank ...

so im assuming I have no ammonium in the water otherwise my fish would be a bit miffed it would also concur with the water board saying that they do not add chloramine to there water --- would anyone agree dont want to run the water through only to find I end up killing the fish

Thanks once again

09-08-2003, 02:09 PM
Just get a Ammonium test kit and test the water.

I assume there are no chloramines, if the water board say they don’t add it. But I also don't trust them lol.

Also if you don't have a DI unit after the R/O membrane you also could have ammonium in the R/O water. (if it was present in the first place) Then you might have noticed it already.

But as I said I would just test it. Better safe then sorrow.

Ronald

RandalB
09-08-2003, 03:46 PM
Beat me to it...

RandalB

angel12
09-08-2003, 03:48 PM
ok so if I run the water through and test for ammonia - thing is do the ammonia test kits also detect ammonium ? I thought membranes could not remove ammonium ?

:)

09-08-2003, 04:33 PM
Thats right as far as I know. The membranes dont remove it.
A DI after the membrane will take care of that.

My Bad. One turns into the other at a certain pH, just don't know of the bat wich one.

Your test for ammonia is the right one.

Randal,
yep I was fast on this one lol.
But most I have learned from you anyway so in a sense you have answered ;)

Ronald