View Full Version : Should I pull the eggs out?

Mqueen
09-07-2003, 08:43 AM
My pair has laid eggs twice. The first time they ate the eggs. I do not think that they were fertilized. This time it has been 4 or 5 days and the eggs are all fungused. Should I pull out the eggs and clean off the cone?

Next time I will use something to eliminate the fungus. My KH is at two and my GH at 3. The PH is between 7 and 7.5.

I think that this is fine they just need more practice. Thanks

Carol_Roberts
09-07-2003, 02:14 PM
Pull the eggs and clean the cone. Your water sounds fine. I think you are correct - they just need to mature.

Willie
09-07-2003, 06:33 PM
Mqueen;

Males take 3 - 5 months longer to mature than females. Its very common to have females lay a large number of spawns before the male participates. If the eggs don't hatch after 48 hours, you can clean them off. If you don't, the fish will eventually eat them.

Be patient. This is the part when it gets fun.

Willie

Mqueen
09-08-2003, 08:34 PM
Thanks. They did eat them. I hope it does not make them sick. Actually I would think that the purpose of eating the eggs is to take back all the energy it took to create them. Any ideas on this?

It is a bit more fun at this stage. I have been working towards this for about two years and finally I think I have a good pair.

Thanks to Cary. ;D

Norm
09-10-2003, 01:48 AM
to prevent eggs from developing fungus, i just add in a few drops of methylene blue (enough to turn the water into light blue colour) after the pair had laid & fertilised the eggs......

Mqueen
09-10-2003, 08:45 PM
Well they laid again (3rd time) last night. This morning I put the blue in. I followed the directions on the bottle of one teaspoon per 10 gallon. This is a dark blue. I hope this will be o.k.

This time I saw them doing it and the guy was trying anyways. However this is the third time in as many weeks and there is a lesser amount of eggs this time. I would estimate about 50 or so vs. the first time of maybe 100+.

How long to I continue to let them try before putting them on "rest". I do not even know what this means yet, but I have heard this. How would I go about this? I hate to put one back into the community discus tank and only leave one. I had heard that discus need other discus. So how would this be accomplished without hurting any of them? ???

Carol_Roberts
09-10-2003, 11:08 PM
Feed them well and let them practise. Laying eggs is not that hard on them. Raising fry it what takes a toll.