PDA

View Full Version : Small Breeding System

Samurai
09-07-2003, 09:39 PM
I wanetd to set-up a small breeding system, one large fry grow-out tank, like 1-75 extra-long, and then 4-20 gallon breeders, that could house breeding pairs, or fry if the need arised. Now I have some questions, should I drill them, If I did I would do it 1/2 way down, so that i could do 50% water changes. Or should I use syphon overflows. I was thinking about getting like 3-55 gallon barrells, plastic, to hold the R/O water, but then what size pump would I need? If I run a drip system, do I even need filters? I could use sponges over the outflow tubes, would that be the same as a ussual sponge filter? please comment on anything that would need to be added. on a scale form 1-10 how well designed? What size pump should I get? 150 gpd r/o or 200 gpd? Individual air pumps, or one big blower? I'd only need to buy 3 airpumps so I'll probably start off using that! Sorry image is to big so just e-mail me and I'll send it to ya

ronrca
09-08-2003, 03:38 PM
Welcome!

Many, many questions! One quick word of advice! Take your time planning it out. Its worth it! ;D Believe me! ;)

First, you will want to choose a type of system since there are many methods to use, each with their own advantages/disadvantages. Check out a few threads in this section. Here is my experimental system:
http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=19;action=display;threadid=9428

Smokey
09-11-2003, 02:53 PM
Ron - you are refering to you setup as experimental... hahahahaha, every time I build a set-up / system it is always experimental ... and improves every time !!!

Samurial - good to see someone thinking ahead. You have a bit of paper planning to do , first. Trust me on this one.

I am in the process of build 6 - 160 liter tanks . For a new system set-up. My own.

The present system has gotton too small, [ four 85 liter units].
The discus need more room.

So, as you, I am using all my past expierences and information I have read on simply discus... Every once in a while someone posts an incredably idea, that I have never thought of , before.

Reguarding drillng the tanks - in the long run it is a good idea.
You will be glad you did.

Smokey