PDA

View Full Version : Mag Drive In-line or Submerged

chavez720
09-08-2003, 10:00 AM
Will be starting a new project in a couple of weeks - 48 X 24 X 25 (120g). I have purchased a Mag 9.5 as the return pump for this tank. Lots of flow as it will do triple service - return pump, UV Sterilizer Pump, and CO2 reactor pump.

Now the question is should I run this in-line or submerged? Anyone have direct experience with using the pump in-line in particular? Heard they can run hot if not properly installed in-line.

FischAutoTechGarten
09-08-2003, 10:24 AM
You don't want to run them dry. They require flow to cool them when mounted externally.

I also found it necessary to silicone my fitting threads to prevent minor leaks.

chavez720
09-08-2003, 11:14 AM
Thanks! Yes the pump will be gravity fed so there will be water in the pump housing all the time.

Thanks for the tip on the silicone on the threading. What was your best bet on attaching the pump to the return line? Hard piped or using flex hose and barb connectors?

ronrca
09-08-2003, 03:35 PM
I prefer my pumps submerged just for the simple fact of no leaks at the pump fittings. I also prefer 'hard' pipe but thats my preference. I use teflon tape on the threaded fittings.

Smokey
09-12-2003, 01:40 AM
Mag drives do best -- submerged. Water is their cooling agent.
Words of many years of use. Through them into your sump ; and forget them.

Smokey