PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: White ButterFly Discus

montydiscus
09-08-2003, 10:53 AM
Hi All,
I have been in the hobby for several years and have collected over 28 discus strains. I have been looking and looking for White Butterfly discus, but never can find any!
Does anyone have? or know where I can buy?, several nice White Butterfly Discus? Thanks for your kind assistance, in advance!!!!
MontyDISCUS

chinoz
09-08-2003, 12:40 PM
check with GLD, he might have some for ya ;D

montydiscus
09-08-2003, 01:23 PM
Thanks!!!!! Much appreciated!

susankay1
09-08-2003, 02:20 PM
Al at Rocky Mountain Discus has them, look in the photo gallery under Daddy Found His Camera, he has some pictures of them.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=11;action=display;threadid=12341 ;D

jeep
09-08-2003, 02:39 PM
If this is the same as the Blue Panda then Gabe has some, although I think Cary's may be a little cleaner.

brian

montydiscus
09-08-2003, 02:39 PM
Much thanks....but Glen doesn't ship :'(

montydiscus
09-08-2003, 02:48 PM
Hi Brian,
Thanks.....Gabe has blue panda's which are diffirent than white butterflys, good white butterflys are very, very clean.
Monty

crazy4discus
09-08-2003, 02:57 PM
yeah cary has some babies in right now of the white butterflie he said they are reaching 2 inch in size call him to see whats the prices on them

montydiscus
09-08-2003, 03:07 PM
Thanks, I have sent email to Rocky and will call or do the same with Cary :) Thanks again
Monty

jeep
09-08-2003, 03:43 PM
Here's a pic of one I got from Gabe. Very little peppering but I want ZERO peppering

crazy4discus
09-08-2003, 03:47 PM
nice looking fish is it a white butterflie? cause from other pixs that i have seen of the white butterflie they look a lot better

montydiscus
09-08-2003, 03:51 PM
Wow, looks very clean, nice shape! Did Gabe call this a "white butterfly"? or a "blue panda"? Just curious, we have a blue panda but it looks nothing like this. ;D
Completely clean "white butter flys" are one of my favorites.
Hoping I can find several to purchase!!!! :)
Monty

jeep
09-08-2003, 03:53 PM
White Butterfly's, Blue Panda's, White Dragons... all basically the same. It depends on how pure the parents are and how selective the breeeder is when he culls.

They are all Pidgeon based fish and a certain degree of peppering is genetic...

Monty, This is Gabes Blue Panda' It is the cleanest out of the 6 I got. The name just depends on who named it

Brian

montydiscus
09-08-2003, 03:55 PM
hmmmm....my blue panda, has a slight tint of light blue in his fins. White butterfly fins are suppose to be white? YES :)

jeep
09-08-2003, 03:58 PM
There's another white fish out there I can't think of at the moment. It's all white, even the eyes.

Is that what you're thinking of?

jeep
09-08-2003, 04:07 PM
Here's a snowflake. All white, including the eyes

montydiscus
09-08-2003, 04:16 PM
I believe those are called "White Diamonds" they have white eyes. White Butterflys are diffirent, I think more attractive than "White Diamonds". :) Seems there are alot of "White Diamonds" out there, but few White Butterflys!!!! :-[

crazy4discus
09-08-2003, 05:57 PM
yeah i been looking for white butterflies myself trying to find a good source and price on them

montydiscus
09-08-2003, 06:15 PM
I am still actively searching......lets pass on what we learn! ;D

jeep
09-08-2003, 06:17 PM
There's been much discussion on these guys and these threads may help in the basics of the fish.

It confuses the heck out of me sometimes ???

I think the main thing is to have trust in the breeder/seller in that they will sell you what you truely want.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=12;action=display;threadid=3969;st art=0

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=11;action=display;threadid=3457

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=4272;sta rt=0

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=11;action=display;threadid=3376;st art=0

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=11;action=display;threadid=2536

montydiscus
09-08-2003, 06:26 PM
AMEN!!!!!!!! Please advise when you identify a Breeder/Seller of White Butterflys with those qualities!!! ::)

April
09-08-2003, 06:26 PM
you need to call cary. he has them. heres a pic of the ones i got that came from him.
that pic is a snowflake and its from a brown. not pigeon.
white butterflies are from pigeons and have the striationsin the face. think it was discussed that they werent real popular as their limited to what you can cross them with. bd you can or maybe an orangish pigeon to get fish like carys dreamsicles. i think a group of 6 of these would be a very nice sight. and maybe some bd to go with them or something. these guys grew quite big. these ones actually Cary named white diamonds. as their white butterfly x blue diamonds.

crazy4discus
09-08-2003, 06:31 PM
april now those are what i call white butterflies thats what i know for them to look like great looking white butterflies

jeep
09-08-2003, 06:59 PM
you need to call cary.

:thumbsup:

montydiscus
09-08-2003, 08:08 PM
APRIL -
WOW :o, those are beautiful White Butterflys, so clean and extremely round, nice body shapes. These certainly speak well of Cary!!!! Now I would love to acquire 2 White Butterflys like those!!! How old are the White Butterflys in your picture? How large are they now? Very impressive!!! I am jealous!!!!!!!! ;D
Monty

April
09-08-2003, 09:11 PM
hi. those guys are about a few years old or so. and their about 6 inches .
Cary just posted a pic of fry on a white butterflies back or a white diamond. so...perhaps he has some coming up.

brew1
09-09-2003, 02:04 AM
Monty, I can't tell by your profile where your located.

Discus By Mario - Chicago IL may have some or if you are willing to spend the $ for some larger quality White Butterflys then try Warwak Discus in Lake Geneva WI.

I believe Mario may ship but I don't believe Warwak will ship.

I picked up a few 1.5" - 2" size from Warwak and noticed they are growing out better than some Snow Whites that I purchased from an importer. This may have something to do with being shipped across the big pond from Asia and then shipped once again from the west coast.

I also noticed not only do the White Butterfly's grow faster but they also seem to have much larger & rounder shapes than the all white albinos/snowflakes/snow whites.

The White Butterfly's are also more interesting to watch grow out as they change from the orange/white coloration to predominately white.

I guess if I had to make a choice between the two varieties then I would go with the White Butterflys because they grow faster, will be larger sized, hardier PB genetics and more interesting to watch grow out.

I'd be interested in seeing how a cross between a White Butterfly and a Snowflake would turn out.

Good luck with your search,

Mark

tom.s
09-09-2003, 10:36 AM
hi all
cary does have some great ones. i just got some of his babies a month or so ago. they are really doing great.

tom &linda

montydiscus
09-09-2003, 11:06 AM
The search goes on!!!!!!!! Would be nice if someone had juveniles (3 to 4inches) or adults (18mo to 24mo old), nice shapes, clean.....pure white!!!!!!! Cary has 2inchers. ::)