PDA

View Full Version : How to take a good picture!!

Abercrombie6202
09-08-2003, 06:46 PM
Can anyone give me a few tips when trying to take a picture of fish? it's hard without the flash making a relfection, should it be really dark? Do i need a flash?

limige
09-09-2003, 03:34 AM
my best pics are with lots of light on the tank, and low light in the room, move your lights toward the front of the tank and try to take the pics with the fish toward the front of the tank.

if your camera has a macro setting use it, no autofocus.
set it for no flash and your all set, you may have to play with shutter speeds if your camera has settings for it.

oodi
09-09-2003, 11:20 AM
I have to second what Mike said...

Room lights off, tank lights on. If your camera has a "sports" or "action" mode, then use it.

For those of you using WindowsXP, here's a tip for posting pics on the forum (or for email, etc):

You can easily resize your pics to meet the maximum attachment size allowed by going to this link, and downloading the Image Resizer.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/powertoys.asp

You just need to right click on the pic (or you can do many pics at once) and select "Resize" on the pop-up menu. I have found that the "small" size works best for posting.

HTH,

Judi
:)

09-09-2003, 01:04 PM
To avoid reflection when using flash light. Shoot at a 45 degree angle. Tap the glass slightly to draw attention to the fish. This will make them stay alert and have their fins eract.
Jimmy.

Mike_T
09-09-2003, 01:23 PM
can some of you post some pics, then give specifics on how the pic was taken? i'm terrible at pics myself...

-mike t 8)

oodi
09-09-2003, 02:13 PM
Good suggestion, Mike...

Here are the conditions under which this pic was taken:

1. Olympus C-5050 camera, using the "sports" setting and no flash.
2. Taken at night with room lights off, tank lights on.

Judi

Mike_T
09-09-2003, 03:39 PM
very nice, this is the kind of info i need...what about posting..how did you resize it(software, res. etc)?

-mike t

oodi
09-09-2003, 03:48 PM
Mike,

See my previous post above... I use the Image Resizer, which takes care of everything automatically. It reduced that pic from probably 400-500kb to 29kb. Other than that, the photo wasn't edited in any form... therefore, no photo software was used.

Judi

RAWesolowski
09-09-2003, 08:14 PM
Judi Ooodi,

Thanks for the link!~

oodi
09-09-2003, 08:19 PM
Welcome Bob!

Judi

Mike_T
09-11-2003, 09:49 AM
cool. how about some examples of photos taken with the flash on?

-mike t 8)

oodi
09-11-2003, 11:06 AM
Mississippi moon won't ya keep on shinin' on me.

Sorry, Mike... had to finish the line to one of my favorite songs.

As far as pics with flash... I can't help ya there. I don't take pics with the flash on, as it always reflects back, and all I get is a reflection. Guess I need to work on taking them at an angle.

Judi