PDA

View Full Version : Any experience with Seachem Purigen?

Tony
09-08-2003, 09:38 PM
Does anyone has any experience with Purigen? Would you recommend it.
What would it do in a planted tank?
If it is used in a show tank not the grow out tank, do you think it is good or bad idea.
Thanks in advance.

ChloroPhil
09-09-2003, 08:47 AM
I've used Purigen in a planted aquarium before and have had success with it. I wouldn't use it all the time, but more as a water polisher. For best results use it in a canister or power filter rather than a Wet/Dry. It does best in a constricted area where the majority of your water has to pass through it.

As a bit of warning, constant use of Purigen will defeat your attempts at fertilization as it's a great Nitrate sponge.

Best,
Phil

skinnyghm
09-09-2003, 09:22 AM
I love the stuff, I run in my Rena Filstar XP3 canister filter for my 180gal
makes the water crystal clear like the fish are in air. I agree with the fact that it may cut down own fertilization for plants, be to run maybe every other week or so

Tony
09-09-2003, 08:45 PM
Thanks...

a) how do you put it in the canister? Would the Mrs_old_stocking_trick
works....
b) when you re-charge it, did you just use bleach and dechlorination stuff??? did you use the discus buffer as per their instruction?
c) about the bit not to use it constantly??? Can you help me on...

target tank was a tropical tank, gold fish tank and the big discus tank with potted plant. The plant do ok to average.... I only add trace element occasionally on tropical, and gold fish tank....

would you still put it in the canister? Would you put it in a mesh bag put it in when you clean the canister. and take it out next time you clean it....
sort of 50-50 duty cycle scheme would do the trick????

d) that stuff is to remove organics only??? which gives you some insurance against forgotten water change... or what is the bennefit you see, on top of polishing water?

Thanks