PDA

View Full Version : tank recommendations & help finding a breeder

Dahlia
09-09-2003, 08:41 AM
I am new to discus and need some pointers. I understand that it can be bad for you to have posts about people's personal experiences with breeders here, but I was hoping that someone could email me with their opinions and tips. If you have a breeder you think is great or have had problems with a breeder, would you mind emailing me at:

insect_queen@yahoo.com

Please, don't post it here. I don't want to start any controversial threads.

I probably won't be purchasing fish for at least 4 months, but I wanted to research thoroughly before I did. Currently based on what I have read I am thinking about a 100+ gallon tank *with* gravel and plastic plants. I feel like I am dilligent enough to maintain this. If you have a preference one way or the other (bare tank or not) I am interested in your experiences.

I am currently planning to buy 8 small fish and raise them to a larger size in hopes of getting a breeding pair. I really like the snakeskins. I read that it is better to get smaller fish since they acclimate better, and that it is better to get larger fish because you can tell whether or not they will be good looking/runts. What is a good medium size to accomplish both these things?

Thanks for any and all advice!

Mike_T
09-09-2003, 10:01 AM
get a bunch of 3" fish, barebottom barebottom barebottom! once they're about 15 months old, try the gravel thing if you feel like dealing with the daily cleanings. i'm willing to bet you'll fall in love with the fish and make them the focus of your tank. you'll be wanting to breedem before you know it... :)

-mike 8)

Barebottom
09-09-2003, 10:26 AM
get a bunch of 3" fish, barebottom barebottom barebottom! .... :)

-mike 8)

Mike T did you call me???

LOL Barebottom ;D

Barebottom
09-09-2003, 10:28 AM
get a bunch of 3" fish, barebottom barebottom barebottom! .... :)

-mike 8)

Mike T did you call me???

LOL Barebottom ;D

IMO daily water changes ZERO gravel would be the best way to go to grow out big round healthy fish.