PDA

View Full Version : Albinos?

reef
09-11-2003, 10:26 AM
I have a pair that has been practising spawning for 4 times b4. Getting better at it everytime. The last batch was eaten up 2 days after free swimming. My tank is a lightly planted 50gal tank. Only this pair is in the tank.

Currently spawned for 5th time and wrigglers are going into the free swimming stage in the next 12hrs or more. My observation abt this batch is when they were laid, I almost scrape them off bcoz thought they are not fertile. Reasons? - they are colourless, not orangey like the previous 4 spawns. So I thought maybe they are albino? Parents is a male red turq and mom a rose red. Wat do ya guys think? Will update if they survives the free swimming stage for a week.

Busmike
09-11-2003, 10:44 AM
Dead eggs turn white, and then later get fuzzy (fungus).

Unless your eggs do this, leave them there. The parents will also remove bad eggs, but then new parents might also be eggeaters.

Watch the parents while they are spawning. The female's breeding tube is several times thicker than the male's. If they are both the same size you have 2 females mated (not an uncommon situation) and should split them up.

If you're sure you have a male and a female, and they eat the spawn before any hatch, then the next spawn, remove the slate (or cone) to a clean, empty tank. Put an airstone near enough to the eggs to provide a constant current without washing them off, and see if they hatch. In 2 1/2 days you'll see the eggs starting to wriggle if they're fertile, or they'll have turned white by then if not.

Good luck!

reef
09-11-2003, 12:37 PM
Busmike, I mentioned that those colourless eggs r now wrigglers. Gonna be free swimming in a couple of hours soon coz already 2 days as wrigglers.

Just an hour ago my Blue diamond female spawn with a GhostxCobalt male. Their eggs are orangy in colour - normal I believe. My question is how come the Rose Red female fifth time laid almost clear coloured eggs when her previous 4 spawns she laid orangy colour ones. Is it albinos?

Anyone has such experiences?

Carol_Roberts
09-11-2003, 12:51 PM
I don't think albinos. Some of my females lay eggs that are clear, others lay orangy eggs. I've not seen a female change color of eggs - but I don't have that many females, so maybe they do. Let us know what you get.

09-11-2003, 01:25 PM
Depending on the food they eat. Egg color can change from clear to bright red in a week.

reef
09-12-2003, 08:14 AM
Thanks for replying guys. Anyway I ruled out diet bcoz been feeding all my breeders the same varieties of food. I have another 2 pairs, all trying to get it right, with orangy eggs.

Update on the fries - 90% r free-swimming and looks like most are feeding off the parents. Hope next few days they r not eaten up. Will update with pics if possible!