PDA

View Full Version : Better Today

Sara
09-11-2003, 12:55 PM
Well after adding the salt and giving them an extra airstone and turning the overheads to full flow the discus all are back to normal coloring.

I was amazed !!!!!!

When I added their food this morning ALL came out for a nibble.

2 of the smaller ones are a wee bit dark still but no longer black like they were.

I will add the formalin still and keep a very close eye on these guys but am so happy that they are no longer black. I am sure we are not done with whatever was wrong but it's a start to the end of the problem anyway.

I Thank You all for the quick replies and superb help. You guys are the ones that saved these discus as I was at a total loss. As I said, I am sure it's not over yet but it's a start at getting these guys healthy again.

Thank you so much, Jo

brewmaster15
09-11-2003, 01:35 PM
Hi Jo,

Thats good news, but it still leaves a big question. If it was flukes or other parasites,, what you did so far would not have worked as a treatment. Its very puzzling. The salt would ease any stress, but at that concentration it would have done nothing for a parasite.

Not to harp on this point but please check your test kits. Reagents in them go bad. Everything you have described sounds like nitrite poisoning. and the relatively mild treatment you used would have really only worked for something like nitrite poisoning..

a nitrite kit is something you can always use, iF its more than a year old... buy a new one, and check again if they go dark.

other than this with all the water changes you do, I can't see a reason why the fish would have needed the salt and extra air.

Hopefully you'll find the cause.

good luck,
al

Sara
09-11-2003, 02:25 PM
Well I just went and did a 25% water change on the discus tank and noticed the largest discus I have has long stringy white fecus. No worms, just white and stringy.

Now what do I do?

I am presuming what ever the big one has they all have it and that is why they are dark and all the salt did was calm them for awhile.

Jo

My nitrite test kit is about 15 months old so guess I should get a new one as well.

brewmaster15
09-11-2003, 02:42 PM
well, that may help explain things.. take a look at these posts...

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=10;action=display;threadid=1058

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=4;action=display;threadid=4000;sta rt=0

-al

Carol_Roberts
09-11-2003, 06:40 PM
IF they are staying light in color and eating there is no need for formalin. Don't add meds unless you need them :)