PDA

View Full Version : What are their chances?

jeep
09-13-2003, 01:04 PM
New fish supposed to arrive 2 hours ago. I'm in KC and I just found out my fish are in Memphis, scheduled to be delivered on Monday...

They claim the Sat. deliver box was not marked, even though it was. I asked the CSR why the heck anyone would spend almost $80 for "Overnight Priority" when the delivery would not take place for 4 days?

I guess it's always the customers fault, huh?

Anyway, is there a possibility they may survive this?

Abercrombie6202
09-13-2003, 04:47 PM
I have no clue, but i hope they survive!!

Carol_Roberts
09-13-2003, 08:07 PM
It depends on how much oxygen in bags. Temperature shoudn't be too much of a problem in Memphis this time of year. IF they are alive get them right into the tank. No floating or dripping water in buckets.

CARY_GLdiscus
09-15-2003, 12:41 AM
How did it go brian? :(

jeep
09-15-2003, 01:42 AM
Hi Cary,

The FedEx People were nothing but rude and insulting to me and I'll have to wait till tomorrow.

I'll post the outcome tomorrow IF they get here >:(

Hope they make it because for some reason I consider discus as more than just fish ;)

Brian

Discus_KC
09-15-2003, 09:50 AM
Brian,

What is coming in ??? What variety ????

It stinks having to deal with individuals who lack "Customer Service Skills"!!!!!!

Jack

jeep
09-15-2003, 01:33 PM
They arrived about an hour ago, and believe it or not, they survived, at least for the moment!

It's a miracle though. After 3 1/2 days in a bag, the box had been crushed, the foam box inside was almost totally demolished, all 3 doubled-up bags had popped and there was very little water in with them.

Another thing I've learned is that discus are very tough fish!

They're still on their sides but hanging in there. With the hopes of them arriving alive, I had raised the tank temperature to 90 degrees and added 1 TBS salt per 2 gallons. I cut the bags open and dropped them in. They sure didn't care for that move... Hopefully this will take some of the stress away...

As far as FedEx goes, they were a very nasty bunch to deal with. All I wanted to do was find out what was going on. I was never mean or rude to them, yet I was called a liar and a pain in the a$$, and they blamed both me and the shipper. Not once did they come close to admitting the slighest possibility that they MAY have had made a mistake. I politely explained the situation to the driver and he felt terrible. He appologized for everyone in his company and suggested I write to the head management. Ha, he even wanted to come inside and witness me opening the box. He was the only nice person I delt with from FedEx...

They are from Alice (Kokebon), a good friend of mine I met here on Simply. There are 2 - 2 1/2" solid Red Diamonds and a 5" Yellow Diamond. From what I can tell at this point, they appear to be quality discus. Sure are tough anyway...

Thanks to all who responded and IM'd their concerns. Discus people are GREAT!!!

Wish them luck!

Brian

Mr. Limpet
09-15-2003, 01:42 PM
Brian, If you have an extra air pump, blast the tank with some extra airstones or better yet some wands. The more O2 you can get in there for now, the better, especially with the elevated temp. Glad to hear they survived. As Teddy J. used to say, Discus are tough as nails! Good Luck. Paul.

jeep
09-15-2003, 01:50 PM
Thanks Paul. I was going to pick up a cheapy back-up pump today. I have a larger one on order that won't be here until next week.

Brian

April
09-15-2003, 02:35 PM
Brian. im sure glad their ok
another trick that cary told me was to get them up higher in the tank with air . like an icecream bucket. takes the pressure off of them from the deep water.
but then you need to swap water quite often in the bucket. but air for sure.
keep us posted. hope they come around. some people have had them down for a few days then get up. so hope yours will.

jeep
09-15-2003, 02:53 PM
Thanks April,

As a matter of fact, 2 1/2 hours later they seem fine. I'm trying to keep my distance, but I think they want food :o

Brian

henryD
09-15-2003, 02:56 PM
Brian,

I deal with fedex on a regular basis. It is really just the luck of the draw. Some people are really nice others are not. I would however considering all that you went through and the condition of the box put in a claim. I know fish means more than financial means but at least you and the seller could be covered that way.

Henry

April
09-15-2003, 05:37 PM
wow Brian. thats great. glad all worked out. its amazing how much stress we all put ourselves through for these fish.:fish:lol. worse than being an expectant father eh? pacing..pacing..then a glitch. but 98 times out of 100 id say most shipments of fish :fish:come through with flying colours. out of all the shipments ive had.and yes we had two 50 hour shipments when they got left on the runway at a transfer point...they all lived. out of hundreds between my friends and i..i think i saw 3 arrive doa. and those ones looked like the end of the box got slammed . so all in all..id say most shipping experiences turn out well in the end.
it is however upsetting when its a companies laxidaisical attitude and lousy co-ordinating that makes fish :fish:not make it.
This time.even with their screw-up at least the fish:fish: made it safe and sound. 8) :fish:
It helps also when you are ready for them and know how to unpack them.
we will await pics of your precious new babies. :thumbsup:

jeep
09-15-2003, 06:27 PM
Here's the yellow.

Pictures are from Alice before she sent them to me...

jeep
09-15-2003, 06:30 PM
Here's the red...

09-15-2003, 07:04 PM
Glad you got them in your Tank and they get the care they need right now.

I would at least write a complaint to FedEx. They need to know when some of there employees act like they did.

Good luck with your new Fish.

Ronald

Ardan
09-15-2003, 08:44 PM
Good Luck Brian,

I hope they do well for you.

Amazing what they go through sometimes! ;)

kokebon
09-16-2003, 04:17 AM
Hey Brian:

LOL!! I am so glad they made it through 3 days of chaos from LA to Memphis then to KS.
Well, I will definitely complain to Fedex about their Customer service. I paid 80 bucks for Saturday delivery and they arrived to you Monday with box crushed...I am definitely going to try to get a refund!!! >:(

LoL ..i was ready to contact Taiwan to send me some more discus to replace your loss...guess they are tough discus. Hope you enjoy them and I will make sure this does not happen again.

Kokebon

discuskrib
09-16-2003, 10:32 PM
glad to hear your fish are doing well.

i agree with Ronald. you should write the company and complain. just be sure to also mention the good driver too. i'm sure he would appreciate it if word ever came back to him about the kind words you've given him. the others deserve what they get.

jeep
09-18-2003, 01:58 PM
Ok, here's a new one for ya ;)

FedEx will not refund shipping charges because the clerk was new at his job :shocked: :puke:

09-18-2003, 02:24 PM
LOL

That's a real good one. One to remember lol.

Ronald

Rick_May
09-18-2003, 02:39 PM
Talk about a sorry excuse. How does Fed Ex’s mistake of having an improperly trained person, even if they were new make it your fault? Remember this, the first thing they will do is deny your claim. That’s automatic, only if you push back will you have a chance. I had sold and shipped a computer system, packed to UPS's specs; the system arrived completely destroyed, looking like they had used it as a battering ram to pack in the rest of the boxes. They of course denied it the first time saying if it was packed better it would have been ok. That ticked me off; they could use that excuse for everything. “Yes sir, I realize you used a cargo container full of packing peanuts to pack that computer. I know you had it doubled boxed and I know you followed OUR packing specs but, if it would have been packed better them we could have parked our truck on it without a problem.”

Don’t give up, hammer them.

henryD
09-18-2003, 03:02 PM
Brian that is unheard of. I would make a big stink out it. In fact I would get the customer service manager on the phone right away. My personality is nothing like this but I have learned that the squeaky wheels gets the oil. So start squeking loudly.

jeep
09-18-2003, 03:19 PM
I guess it's always the customers fault, huh?

:banghead: Don't worry. This is I fight I will not give up :whip:

This is for discus owners everywhere ;D