PDA

View Full Version : are discus jumpers?

drew22to375
09-14-2003, 03:02 PM
Are Discus know to jump out of water? I usually keep my tanks topless.

oodi
09-14-2003, 03:06 PM
Hi Drew,

I've heard more than one story, of folks losing a fish as it jumped out of the tank. Better safe than sorry... put a lid on it.

Judi
:)

ping
09-14-2003, 03:34 PM
Hi Drew,

It happened to me before. The female of my first breeding pair jumped and died. :(

Another discus jumped out and died. Found him in rubbish bin next to the tank. ;D

It's much safer with lid, and also lid helps you to keep the heat longer.

Regards,
Ronny

Abercrombie6202
09-14-2003, 04:24 PM
I think if any fish really wnated to they have the power to jump right out of the water. Yesterday i found a cory in a little plastic cup next to my tank, he was all dried up. :(

April
09-15-2003, 02:53 AM
ive had a few even jump out of an inch gap between the lid and the edge of the tank. they go straight up and out. usually along an edge. especially if they get spooked or their water changes and makes them flighty. or.i had one that the male got chasing the female around after they had eggs. she jumped. found her on the floor. she was still alive.but barely. so...yes. a tight fitting lid. with cutouts for the aquaclear or what have you. if you dont have a lid..get eggcrate from the hardware store. the stuff they use for lights. but yes..heat stays in better with a lid. most of mine are glass hinged lids. cheaper than canopies.

limige
09-15-2003, 03:57 AM
i've lost alot of very good fish due to topless tanks. i've learned my lessons.

i lost a wild green that was spawning with another wild green, i beleive the male is the one that jumped.
i lost a tefe that i was treating in qt.
i lost a classic red turk that was solid and very nice shaped.
and a few babies have been found on the floor.

so are discus jumpers, not especially but they can and will eventually.

i have been there to save them once or twice but it's much wiser to be safe than sorry and out money.

most of the fish i lost were adults. paid $100 each for the wilds. to find dead on the floor. it's a terrible feeling.

DarkDiscus
09-15-2003, 10:35 AM
Fortunately I learned my lesson long ago when I lost some very valuable breeding fish (not discus) and I have always kept tight fitting tops on all my discus tanks.

I have seen a couple of serious attempts at leaps from my discus though - twice, while I was sitting in the living room I saw one fish swim up behind another and give it a nip - the startled fish shot straight up and slammed into the glass cover hard enough to bounce the tetrabits can off of the hood!

So yeah, they can jump like crazy if they really want to!

John

09-15-2003, 12:49 PM
All of a sudden. they dash, hit their head on the canopy or side of the tank. You hear a big bump and you see a fish knock himself silly, lying flat on the bottom of the tank with a smile on their face. Usually the best looking male breeder got jump out. It's part of the mating dance I believe. It's normal behaviour and they usually spawn within a day.JMHO. Anything younger is either has a skin infection or parameters are out of range.
Jimmy.

drew22to375
09-15-2003, 12:58 PM
thankx everyone guess its off to the hardware sore for some eggcrate.

Smokey
09-15-2003, 02:53 PM
Well, the consenious is in .... DISCUS CAN AND DO JUMP !

personally speaking, I have heard the bangs and crashes; even found discus laying on the floor. Not sure who was more surprized??

Take cae and cover up that tank.

Smokey

discuskrib
09-16-2003, 09:44 PM
WoW Peter!

thanks for letting us know. i wouldn't have ever thought they'd be able to jump a full foot out of water that was only 1' deep. i'll have to keep that in mind when doing w/c from now on. thanks

drew22to375
09-16-2003, 10:42 PM
WoW Peter!

thanks for letting us know. i wouldn't have ever thought they'd be able to jump a full foot out of water that was only 1' deep. i'll have to keep that in mind when doing w/c from now on. thanks

That's why sumps come in handy for WC.

Thankx everyone for all of the wonderful replies.

Smokey
09-16-2003, 11:55 PM
Interesting comment Drew. All my tanks on are sumps ... it has not stopped them from the occasional " jump"!!!

Not necessay the w/c's are the cause.

Mine have just seem to do the jump thing when every, day, night ... feeding or not . go fish !

Smokey

BlueBull
09-18-2003, 01:34 AM
Hi

I lost one fish after it jumped out.
It was a 4 inch Golden, and i've got no idea why it jumped.
Back then I did not cover the tank. After its death, I have always covered my Discus tank. Just to play safe.

crazy4discus
09-18-2003, 11:00 PM
heck yeah discus are jumpers mines jumped out but lucky i was there to hear it and put it back into the water phew lol