PDA

View Full Version : help me to choose growing up tank for homeless kids

ping
09-15-2003, 03:08 PM
Hi,

My discus population has been increased rapidly. I need to provide better home for them. ;D
I need a tank to grow up 70 discus babies (size around 1 inch) until they get to size of 2.5 inches.

Will 55 gallon tank (4 ft by 18" by 18", approx 215 litres) be enough ?
What filter should i use aquaclear 300 or aquaclear 500 ? (I am worrying that the current of aquaclear 500 will be too much for the babies).

I will be using 1 or 2 sponges filter along with the aquaclear filter.

Thanks.

Regards,
Ronny

Carol_Roberts
09-15-2003, 04:47 PM
I run an aqua clear 500 on this size tank. Current is not a problem.

Seventy 2 1/2 inch babies is way crowded in a 55 gallon tank. Remember this is the size most folks are buying six discus for a 55 gallon tank. I think twenty 2 1/2 inch discus is a lot for a 55 gallon even with 75% water changes. You will need a 125 or bigger I think to raise them all. Another option is to cull as they grow - keeping the best 20 . . .

ping
09-15-2003, 05:21 PM
Thanks Carol.

I found 125 gallon tank (second hand) yesterday on newspaper but it's gone :'( :banghead: :banghead:

Regards,
Ronny

April
09-15-2003, 05:44 PM
hope you find one..ping...unless you can find a few... and split them up? maybe you can start sorting according to size. so the smaller ones are all togeather etc? or.cull some small ones?
think im glad i only have small spawns right now. ::)

ping
09-15-2003, 05:59 PM
Hi April,

Thanks. I have culled them already .. Dont like the feeling putting them in the freezer.
I still have nearly 200 babies.

I have enough tanks to keep them for 1 month. Getting second hand of 110 gallon tank is really hard. So, i am planning to get 4 or 6 of 55 gallons. Not all of them in one time, hehehee ;D.

I might have to sleep in my garage soon. ;D. I dont know whether i should call this keeping discus as hobby. :P

Regards,
Ronny

April
09-15-2003, 06:10 PM
LOL Ronny. the garage is an option.....but maybe for the fish instead of you? lol. although..think the fish are best surrounding your computer if you ask me....they go togeather. lol.
well hope you get your tanks.and get them all settled and growing into big boys and girls.

Fisheyes
09-15-2003, 08:24 PM
Ping
If you can not provde a home for your young maybe you should stop the parents from breeding or at least slow them down. I doubt seriously if you will be able to dispose of 200 young unless your going to be a breeder aand ship.
To creat life and then take it away needlessly is foolish.

Rev. Fisheyes :'( :'( :'(

Please do not take offence .

ping
09-15-2003, 09:09 PM
Hi Fisheyes,

I have buyers actually, just need to hold them till they get to 2-2.5 inch. :)
I am just kidding about having no space. ;D ;D ;D :P

No offence at all ... :) , in fact, i like your point of view. ;)

Regards,
Ronny

Smokey
09-16-2003, 12:09 AM
G'Day-- I TOTALY AGREE WTH FISHEYS.

Ping, you have the oppertuntiy to behold the miracal of natural birth. And, yet , like may other home hobbiest/accedientual - breeders - you are totally ill equipet to deal with the consequiences.

MPE - you hAVE YOUR HANDS FULL
MPO - LFS with have an influx of "poor quality life".
MPO - persons purchasing your stock may be disappointed .. in the long run.
MPE - Either be properly setup to deal with the off-spring of discus --- or move onto some other hobby !!!

TOO many home hobbiest - come=su-long-breeders - inandate the market with poor quaility discus... dead fish!

And then the breeder complains, when a client questions the breeders sales pitch!!!

Remember, you are not alone,. Their are many others out there that believe; in their own minds, they are a world class breeder.

TO - other persons, reading this post reply ... "beware" of persons who have not taken proper care of the off-spring.

MPE - too many fish live short lives. through no fault of their own.

Smokey

Considering - this is a free- speach forum; I just have to reply .

Any persons being offended by my opoins, should post their respones's.

I also would like to hear from other persons who believe ... proPer discus care is " A BREEDERS RESPONSIBILITY" -- NOT THE PURCHASER'S -- down the road!!!!

P.S. this can be conscrude as a warning to other hobbiest, who accidentualy find their fish has spawned.
Be prepared to deal with the situation ...