PDA

View Full Version : Water changes?

dgmckay
09-15-2003, 09:14 PM
Having read through a number of threads on this board, it seems that most of the discus keepers here are doing far more frequent water changes than I am. That said, my discus (I have two) seem perfectly healthy and happy. Also, the water parameters that I'm measuring are excellent. Obviously, there is no ammonia or nitrite, and nitrates never get above 5ppm. All this with either 1 or 2 five gallon water changes a week.

Is there really a necessity for daily changes? Or, is this frequency only required in breeding tanks, grow-out tanks or tanks with a high bio-load (mine is relatively low)???

Some other things... I have a planted tank, so the plants are helping use up some of the nutrients in the water. I also have an Emperor 280 with a bio-wheel and use filter floss as the mechanical filtration media, which I change on a bi-weekly basis. If I'm doing a 10G change all in one, I like to put a HOT Magnum on the tank with a micron cartridge to help polish the water as I tend to go a bit nuts vacuuming the gravel and there are some suspended particles left after.

Does this seem ok, or am I heading for trouble?

Thanks!

Regards,

Dave.

Keith.L
09-15-2003, 10:02 PM
Hi Dave,

I guess it's "different Strokes for different folks" or something like that. If you are happy with your current setup, why change? ;D

IMO discus can be quite tough - my 4 cheap discus have survived several extended period of no WCs (up to 3 weeks) since I got them over a year ago. They are all still alive. Would my discus have grown even bigger and healthier than their current 4.5" size? Probably yes...

Do let us know the size of your 2 discus and your planted tank. It will help others to understand your situation better.

Regards,
-Keith 030916

Smokey
09-15-2003, 11:16 PM
Howdey Dave. Nice to see another Canuck on board !

Your maintance scheldual - keeping the NO3'S below 5 ppm is excellant !! Keep up this plan.

Discus exclude "waste" and do not like their own waste. The river flow elimates this situation ... !

Many have forgiven water changes and "even" suggested - necessary water changes are "NOT" REQUIRED.

Personaly, I challenge these person's "wisdom" .

However, I am a person who maintains "a given ecologicial system". OF MY OWN UNDERSTANDING and design. Not necessary an accepatial hobbiest ideal setup !

Then again , I am not a common "hobbiest".

MPO/MPE/MPunderstanding -- keep those NO'3s below 5 ppm and do w/c's .. they remove the insoulable contaminets ... one - urea waste! Two the nitrates. Three - contaminets from the food - feed!

You are on the right road.

smokey

Abercrombie6202
09-16-2003, 07:22 AM
WEll it depends, like i change my water 2 or 3 times a week. And it's easy i bought a pump that pumps aged water from a bucket into the tnak, takes about 20-30 minutes for about 30 gallons of water. Toempty water i have a big thing like a python, that just connects to my kitchen faucet out goes the water. (no dishes in the sink at that time though, i srcub it too, lol) PLus evaportation helps sometimes. I think if i could do it you could to if you wanted. I want to keep healthy discus though... You don't have to change your plan.

Rob R.
09-16-2003, 11:07 AM
Doing water changes so little will result in smaller discus. I wouldn't say that 80% WC's everyday are necassary in a planted tank, but I personally wouldn't do it less then 40% 2-3 times per week. Keith was right by saying "different strokes for different folks", but my experience has taught me that less WC's=more problems.
Remember, these fish don't come from lakes. They come from tributaries with a constant feed of fresh, clean water (mostly superclean rainwater). It's not just the bad stuff being added to the waterin your tank, but also the good stuff being taken out.
The bottom line is this: Yes, you can get away with once a week WC's. Discus are tough fish. But you will notice a dramatic difference in health, growth, and overall results in the quality of the fish you raise by doing WC's more frequently(everyday). A lot of it depends on how serious you are about keeping discus. Do you want them to just survive, or do you want them to thrive and reach their full potential.

HTH
Rob
R.

dgmckay
09-16-2003, 04:13 PM
What kind of bio-load do you have on the tanks that you perform daily changes on?

Thanks!

/Dave

Carol_Roberts
09-16-2003, 05:48 PM
I do daily water changes on all my discus tanks. 30% for 2 adults in a 29 or 5 adults in a 55 gallon. 50% for 8 or 9 half grown juveniles in a 55 gallon. Your discus will grow better and be healthier if your tank water is almost good enough to drink

discuskrib
09-16-2003, 09:30 PM
Dave,
if you're happy with your set-up and procedures and the fish seem healthy then i'd suggest you keep on doing what you're doing.
if, however, you ever do notice your discus not looking so well then just remember that extra water changes are always the first line of defense (even before coming on here and asking).

dgmckay
09-16-2003, 10:32 PM
Thanks for all your replies! I keep a close eye on the tank, close enough that so far I've felt I could sense when things were a bit out of balance. I think things have been good so far, but reading about the daily water changes here made me wonder if I was maybe not giving the fish all they needed. I'm still a bit torn between the stress that water changes seem to cause (usually brief) vs. the benefit of clean, new water. I did a 50% water change one night, and my bigger discus didn't eat for a couple of days afterwards - which scared me. He's usually a pig, and thankfully is again.

For now I'll heed the advice that if things are ok, why change.

Thanks again,

Dave.

RyanH
09-16-2003, 10:37 PM
Hey Dave,

When you do your water changes, make sure that it is with aged water that is approximately the same temperature. When you age your water it allows the pH to adjust. Discus can be stressed by drastic changes in pH.
Move slowly when you work on your tank and add the fresh water in slowly. This will minimize the stress to your fish. In addition, since your fish are not used to a water change routine they are naturally going to be freaked out at first. They do get used to it. hth. -Ryan

Carol_Roberts
09-16-2003, 10:54 PM
Yes, Ryan is correct. I bet your change water is much lower in pH. My well water directly from the tap is pH 6.8, but rises to 7.8 after the CO2 is off gassed. I do this by circulating or agitating the water in a storage barell for a few hours. If I tried to do a 50% water change from my tap the ph would drop from 7.8 to 7.3 in just a few minutes . . . . . my discus would be huddled in a corner glaring at me.

Shari
09-17-2003, 01:57 AM
I talked to a guy at the store today who has been using Chem Pure to cut back on the water changes - says the discus are fine and he's cut back to twice a week from daily...anyone heard of this and is it good or bad? (the Chem Pure I mean)
It's suppose to keep your water biologically pure in all ways....
curious.... ;D

Smokey
09-17-2003, 03:22 PM
Here is a little anology I use:

Do you flush the toilet , after using it?
Why bother? There are numerous products on the market that claim to keep the "throne" clean and smelling fresh!!

Right !

There is ammonia, cholrine, cholramine, etc, in the city water to prevent bacteria and virus from developing .... so why bother to flush!

Because it is good house - cleaning . ??

Smokey
If it is bigger than you - get out of the way. Famous saying from my grandfather.

If you stick to your morals, the old cout will behave himself. Famous saying from my grandmother.

Have a good day.

dgmckay
09-17-2003, 07:35 PM
I _usually_ age my tap water for 24 hours in a bucket, with an air stone. I also use Prime (added when I fill the bucket) to help with the chloramine, although taking to people around this area many don't even do that. The tap water here is pretty good. It's treated, but it's river water and is low in nitrates, phosphates, etc.

You're right though. The night I did the 50% change, I didn't use all aged water. I couldn't, because I only have the capacity (ie. buckets) to age 10 gallons.

Thanks for all the help, once again. This is a great site. I have a feeling I'll be visiting on regular basis. :)

Take care,

Dave.

Tristanyyz
09-17-2003, 09:25 PM
Do I understand correctly that you have TWO DISCUS in your tank?

if so...

Most of us have lots more in one tank. Above this, I feed my Discus lots and lots and lots....Thats why I have two huge Eheim filters on my 150 gallon, way over filtered...and its why I have the largest Eheim available on my 75 gallon stingray tank...these fish produce alot of waste.

Daily water changes keeps your fish healthy and very very colourful.
M

tau
09-25-2003, 02:28 PM
I have 5 discus in a 45 gallon tank. I do about 1-2 60% water changes a day. I notice that after a water change the fish become more active. Maybe is a mental thing, but over changing the water is not going to hurt them. :D

Smokey
09-26-2003, 01:22 PM
Jeezzz, I am starting to feel guilty ... haven't done a water change on the 20 gallon tank in 14 hours!!!

Heavy beefheart feedings; 6 discus , 6 angels and on tire track eel.

I am an advocate of nice clean water, and lots of it. when the fish are young ... they consume so much food, it is unbelieavable!!!
Food in ... waste out. So I have to physically remove their waste, W/C. No river running through my tanks.

ps - in three days they all BE SPLIT UP - into a 33 gallon and a 45 gallon . These tanks will each have a 85 Liter sump ... and double filteration. A wet/ dry in the sump and a wet/ dry overhead.
The angels and discus and eel will be coming out of quartiene.

WOW; I just threw an ounce of beefheart mix into their tank .... just like piranas

OK, got to go ... w/c time.

smokey