PDA

View Full Version : Let's see who knows their strains

macdaddy
09-15-2003, 10:20 PM
yo -

i got these two discus at my lfs. they're about 3.5", got em both for $29.95 each. my question - what strain are they? any help would be the bomb. thanks.

-mac daddy from the midwest-

Tad
09-15-2003, 10:51 PM
Definately a PB cross....Ok I will go out on a limb..and say PB X Turq ;D

Tad

Tkuemmet
09-15-2003, 10:56 PM
:o:o:owith all due respect

YOU GOT RIPPED OFF

those are poor specimens of a fish, discus or other. The eye is out of proportion, the body elongated, and the peppering heavy and severe.

the one on the right looks severely malnourished.

is there any way you can get your money refunded?

macdaddy
09-15-2003, 11:37 PM
**** man, i thought they just looked that way cuz they're juveniles. so, even if they get older, they wouldn't lose their stripes and all the 'peppering'? damnit, now i'm mad. i just figured all your discus put mine to shame cuz they're older. living in a hillbilly town of less than 300 peeps, it's a far drive to any fish store, when i found these an hour + away i was surprised to even see em. they looked good to me, still do. but yeah.... i want as good quality fish as i can raise. hate to take em back so soon, but i guess that's what i may hafta do... what do you other guys think of the quality of these discus???

brewmaster15
09-15-2003, 11:53 PM
Honest opinion,

The first fish has eyes way too large for its body size, and the second has very poor shape. If you get fedex deliveries to your house... you can do far better on line. There are hobbyists selling fish 100s of times better than those, and at half that price.

You can try to raise them, and they may grow out to look better, but the odds are they will be runts.

I'm sorry.

-al

09-16-2003, 12:25 AM
those would be of the strain "cullus uglius" ;D

I've been there...how are you to know that they won't grow into something when you haven't picked out many discus...

better luck next time...
david

macdaddy
09-16-2003, 12:43 AM
yo yo yo yo-

thanks for all your expertise guys! it just so happens i was planning on taking a trip to the same town where the fish store is located this weekend! i'd better give em a call first so i can arrange their exchange, i don't wanna hafta take em home twice!

i got (had) those 2 discus in a 55 gal. with 5 black-skirted tetras and 1 parrot cichlid

if i can find some better, cheaper discus i may be able to afford 3-4. :)

now i just need to find some better, cheaper ones... --- mac

Carol_Roberts
09-16-2003, 12:59 AM
Where are you from? Perhaps there is a hobbyist or breeder within driving distance.

crazy4discus
09-16-2003, 03:01 AM
yeah those discus do look like there very poor quality discus but to your question i would say pigeon cross with another strain

macdaddy
09-16-2003, 07:57 AM
i be representin winslow, illinois. it's in the northwest corner of illinois, no more than 15 minutes till you hit the wisconsin border. so if there are any local breeders around me, (that don't sell the kind of discus i just bought :P) you can email me at the following addy: arehseepee@hotmail.com

again, thanks for all your help and responses.

peace-
mac

JDS
10-11-2003, 09:40 AM
I think people tend to forget the bigger picture. Granted those fish are of poorer quality and I would not recommend breeding them. But to say he should return them a get his money back. Why? has long as he is satisfied with them I don't see the big problem.

Pick
10-11-2003, 10:10 AM
I'd say what is $60 and 2 hours worth to you Mac. If you like em' keep em'. After shipping and a minimum order of six your going to spend about $200 - $250 for a mail order unless you find a breeder close enough to drive to.

Of course, what you will get will blow your socks off! So if the 2 hours is worth $60 (presuming you can get a refund from the LFS) then hurry back and place an order! If not, change the water every day and feed them like the pigs they should be and learn with them while you're saving up for some better stock.

Best of luck to ya!

TC

Abercrombie6202
10-11-2003, 10:16 AM
That guy ripped you off!!! I bought 5 discus that are all better than those 2 for only 30 bucks from a breeder! The guy at the LFS gave you bad fish, you should go get your money back and get your discus from a breeder, they are usually nicer and might even give you a few extra fish!!