PDA

View Full Version : Help! Your opinions please!

aqua
09-16-2003, 02:34 PM
Hello all,
My discus just laid eggs yesterday afternoon in the community tank. The parents are very protective. All the eggs are still there this morning. They take turn guarding the eggs. Here are my questions. If I move them into a 29G tank with the eggs, will they eat the eggs? Or should I just leave them in the community tank? This is the first prawn for the pair.

Thanks
Aqua

Carol_Roberts
09-16-2003, 02:57 PM
Leave them for now to see if eggs turn dark or if wigglers hatch. In a few days you can move them to their own tank. It may take a while for them to breed again or they may breed next week

reef
09-16-2003, 04:12 PM
Hi, I did remove a spawning pair with eggs to their own tanks only for the eggs to be eaten. Maybe different water parameters.

Another pair with eggs removed to a breeding tanks, I use a wire mesh to protect the eggs but all eggs did not survive. Maybe water parameter again but also maybe not fertilised.

I also suggest u let them be. More important is whether the pair manage to fertilise the eggs and u get wrigglers - meaning they r a confirm pair. Only then remove them to the 29G for their next spawn if the wrigglers did not survive to free swimming or get eaten up.

I observe new pairs will have a higher learning curve if spawn in a community tank.

aqua
09-17-2003, 11:48 AM
Carol and Reef,
I have learned more about discus today. Thank you for your comments/suggestions. I just leave the pair in the community tank for now.